BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, May-15-2016, 09:02:22 PM   #1
Braymond141

United States

Default E36 GT (LTW) and GT2 Wing Wickerbill (Gurney Flap) Reproduction and Information

Some of you are aware that I am, with the help of Jim E. and Twentyseven, reproducing the rubber gurney flaps that BMW offered for the M3 GT and GT2 rear wings. These are no longer available, very hard to find, and extremely expensive if you do find any. Before we get into discussing the reproduction, let's go over some basics.

OE Part Numbers and details

51 71 2 269 149 - GT Parts Catalog - Satz Keillippen Heckflügel / Set rear wing guerneys M3 GT (764 + 786 presumably)
51 71 2 265 764 - 110cm - Lower Gurney Flap - Straight Edges
51 71 2 268 785 - 108cm - The unknown - Curved Edges
51 71 2 268 786 - 104cm - Upper Gurney Flap - Curved Edges

Most people know there are two different versions of gurney flaps; 110cm and 104cm. Jim E has introduced a third OEM wicker into the mix; the 108cm length. None of us are really sure of the application for it and it isn't listed in the ETK. All three are shown below (credit; Jim E).

Application and Use

There are two rear commonly known wings and one modified variant that the gurney flaps are applicable (but not limited) to. There are also other wings that BMW produced over the years. I'll add to this at a later date.
Class II GT Wing - This version hangs off the rear of the trunk and has no brake light.
Class II GT2 Wing - This version sits flush with the edge of the trunk and has a molded in third brake light into the base.
"LTW" Wing - This is a PTG modified GT wing. The base it cut to accept a 3rd brake light to meet DOT regulations.

Gurney flaps are a cheap and effective alternative to altering the rear wing characteristics without replacing the entire part. Each flap has three flat sides that offer different levels of wing tuning. On a street driven car they can also be merely a cosmetic Motorsport addition that you want to show off. Track Rats, OE Whores and Big Wang Stancework guys unite.
*a discussion about the effectiveness of wickerbills would be great

If you look closely you'll see the varying profile installs.

Reproduction

The goal of reproducing these is to offer up an affordable solution to running wickerbills on your OE or replica GT/LTW/GT2 wing. It can be very stressful having $1k+ in OE rubber sitting on the edge of your wing prime for theft or loss. There are "solutions" out there currently like running China E46 M3 rear lips. There are also guys out there selling those same lips as "GT wing replica wickers" with a 5x mark up (a**holes). These solutions do not offer the original shape intended by BMW nor do they offer the three variable install profiles. Mine will be EXACT replicas. Shape, feel, and flexibility. Longevity of the black PVC is expected to be decades outside in the elements. Everything will be made here in Fresno, Ca

I'm still in the early phases of reproduction, but every stage is set to take place. Unlike others past attempts at replication, I own the 764 wicker and Jim E will be filling in the rest with his 785 and 786 versions. A rubber company has already been found, a working file has been made and a die is about to machined. These wickers will be extruded (just like OE) in black PVC, the specifics of which I will post at a later date.

I will be doing a run for all three versions, 104cm, 108cm, and 110cm lengths. The edges of the straight 110cm style and the curved edges of the 104cm and 108cm style will be machine cut after extrusion (just like OEM).

There will be no OE part number stamp replication at this time. I do not want a product out there that can be falsely sold as Genuine OE despite the goal to make it look that way. Real wickers are worth upwards of $800 each if you can find them new. The goal for these is around $100 for each style. Additionally the part number stamp can be an eyesore if you install the wicker with it shown.

More details will be updated in this post as I move through each stage. Please correct me on any mistakes that might be posted and/or add to the discussion.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts

Last edited by Braymond141; Wed, May-31-2017 at 03:21:29 AM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, May-15-2016, 10:47:15 PM   #2
armyboy_brodo

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E36 GT (LTW) and GT2 Wing Wickerbill (Gurney Flap) Reproduction and Information

PayPal ready! Sign me up for the exact replicas of the pair on the Estoril M3 in your picks. I believe one is shorter than the other and both are the straight edge, correct?
Jump to top armyboy_brodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-15-2016, 11:14:14 PM   #3
Braymond141

United States

Default Re: E36 GT (LTW) and GT2 Wing Wickerbill (Gurney Flap) Reproduction and Information

Only the 110cm upper wicker has straight edges. The 104cm and 108cm have rounded edges. That said, you can install them in whatever configuration you want including buying two straight edged uppers if that suits your taste more.

The Estoril had two bottom wickers on it. His car was pretty amazing. I took that pic at Legends of the Autobahn in 2012.

Last edited by Braymond141; Mon, May-16-2016 at 03:31:17 AM.
Old Mon, May-16-2016, 01:30:39 AM   #4
Kirbius

In the garage:

Australia

Posting for updates, money ready!

1996 Evo S50B32 - Boston Green on Modena - Slicktop - Al doors - PDC - JBR 5kg F/W - Clutchmasters FX400 - Mason SS Clutch pedal - UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR - PWR radiator - DrVanos o/haul - Full AKG 75D bushing & mount set - AP delete - Fan delete - X-brace - BC Racing C/Os 8k/10k - Whiteline 27mm ARB - ARC8 17x8.5 - Nitto NT01 - APEX 75mm stud - Walbro GSS342 - Schroth Harness - TMS rear control arms - Hawk HP+ pads - GT splitter - GT 4pc wing - Momo Monte Carlo - Racechrono TS - RaceDAC - RR Strut Brace - Proflow PS res + AN lines - VDO gaugeset - E46 330 rack - VAC oil pump upgrade - ARP conrod bolts - Magnaflow spun cats - MAC Motoren Airbox - AlphaN - ATI/VAC HB - 3.91 210 -
Jump to top Kirbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-16-2016, 02:02:05 AM   #5
westopher

Canada

Very much looking forward to this! Thank you to everyone involved in this! Its great to see people who care about the history of the cars, taking the time to make quality parts for other enthusiasts to enjoy.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 100k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-16-2016, 03:26:50 AM   #6
Sammyzuko
Registered User & Abuser

United States

You guys are doing the Lord's work! I wish I had a coupe with a proper wing to install these on.
Old Tue, May-17-2016, 06:07:41 AM   #7
Braymond141

United States

The die was approved today. Should be a few weeks or less to receive it finished and then extrusion can begin.

Old Tue, May-17-2016, 09:48:09 PM   #8
busterhax
m52 w/ speed hax

United States

Is it safe to say that the Class II GT and LTW are the same with the exception of the hacked brake light (and maybe part numbers)?

I'd be interested in what ever configuration the Class II GT came with. Currently have a Lester aka Abrahams wing.
Jump to top busterhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-17-2016, 10:42:03 PM   #9
Jim E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterhax View Post
Is it safe to say that the Class II GT and LTW are the same with the exception of the hacked brake light (and maybe part numbers)?

I'd be interested in what ever configuration the Class II GT came with. Currently have a Lester aka Abrahams wing.
Same part numbers with LTW having a "hacked" third brake light.

Class II GT wing didn't come with any "specific" configuration. All three gurney flaps are the same exact triangles. Only differences are lengths and straight vs. curved edges. 785 and 786 have identical curved edges btw.

So it's really up to you which lower version you want to use.
Old Tue, May-17-2016, 10:50:13 PM   #10
Braymond141

United States

Made a correction to the original post. I kept calling the material the company is using vinyl... it is PVC. It will look and feel exactly like the OE parts including exact flexibility (most people probably received their OE wickers rolled up, same can be done with the replica).