BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Apr-07-2016, 08:59:22 PM   #31
Flow

In the garage:

France

Default Re: For all you torque wh0res

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Wow, this is a must have. Thank you!

-James

--edit--

As I'm looking over this I'm overly impressed. This is a seriously awesome reference doc.
Thank you James So you can help your customers if they have that type of question !

Just updated the first post. I have added ft-lb torques and in-lb in some cases.
Here is the link : updated - see op

A member here contacted me to add a content table to the PDF. I'm sure that would be something good to do.
Any improvement input is appreciated. Do not hesitate to modify the document / make modification propositions.

I also added some torques specs concerning the power steering and corrected some torques on the high pressure P/S line.

Last edited by Flow; Fri, Apr-08-2016 at 07:39:45 PM.
Jump to top Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-07-2016, 09:12:59 PM   #32
Braymond141

United States

I'm a torque wh0re.

Nice job on the fastening list Flow.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-07-2016, 09:14:15 PM   #33
Flow

In the garage:

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
I'm a torque wh0re.

Old Thu, Apr-07-2016, 10:06:01 PM   #34
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Wow Excellent!!

UltraGauge - BAVSOUND Stage 1 - Valentine One - Orion V4's - SBV2
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - Turner Spacers 15/12 - BWS 500S 12k/16k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-07-2016, 10:31:32 PM   #35
lmtfi

United States

Props to Flow.
Old Fri, Apr-08-2016, 01:48:37 PM   #36
Dal

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post

Thank you ! Don't hesitate to share it on m3cutters. Not sure I have an account there.
Also, not sure of how to handle updates to this file. Maybe you could update it on m3cutters when it gets updated here ?
It is done

Just a suggestion. It might be worth keeping a changelog in your original post. Perhaps list all the docs/url by publish date and then in brackets a brief description of what's new/changed?

Also, an 'errata / supplement' section might be good at the end of the first post. Here we can list notes, issues via page number raised by members.

It will save you from having to update the doc 'everyday'. Changes can be implemented into the doc shortly after?

E46 ///M3 - My Build thread
Jump to top Dal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-08-2016, 03:25:19 PM   #37
avusbluem3

Thank you Flow!

95 E36 M3 Avusblue/Dove Gray :Sold
02 E46 M3 Steel Grey/Black Nappa/SMG II
Jump to top avusbluem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-08-2016, 06:06:12 PM   #38
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

AWESOME.

Okay if I link to this file in the maintenance thread?

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-08-2016, 06:10:05 PM   #39
Flow

In the garage:

France

Here is the new link for the latest update : updated - see op

Please download it and use that one. Replace all the older copies.
I have added an update date in the document. Please make sure you always have the latest version as corrections might have been made.

I have updated some torque values that I have found to be wrong on my original PDF.
Please check the torques and give me feedback if you see any mistakes. Doing my best to place them well, but a lot of sources are contradicting (Bentley / TIS / forums)... So it is not that easy.

I still have some things I cannot really confirm / I have doubts about :
- Bolts that hold the strut brace. I found 40 Nm on the web, but that sounds very high for an M8 nut. Kind of scared about that one ?
- Differential subframe front bolts. I found 90 Nm. That is high for an M12 nut. Is that really the right value ?
- Banjo bolts for power steering high pressure line. Values are different for the Z4M (specific value for S54 engine) and the E46 chassis (no distinction for the M3/S54 engine). I went with the E46 chassis values (35Nm for the M14 and 40Nm for the M16). I hope that is those are the right torques. Confirmation would be appreciated.
- Differential front bolt : 200 Nm. That is very very high for a M14 10.9 grade bolt (max torque should be around 180 Nm). This was confirmed by the TIS, but I am very scared this bolt would shear at that torque ? Any input on this ? Maybe the length makes it so strong ?

I also have added some new torque values (like carbon canister and some others).

New projects :
- Index : I have been contacted by forum member Janar who suggested to add an index with page numbers. That is a good idea, and I will be in touch with him in order to add it.
- Email subscription : I was thinking of making an email subscription, and I would simply send an email out to everyone who has subscribed when there is an update. What do you think about that ? It would be an easy way to reach out to people if there is an error in the file / an update with additional information.
- Torque spec thread : Last point is the Torque spec thread that is a sticky in this very section. I have posted in it in order to correct a torque spec that is specified in it, but the OP has not responded. He was active here not that long ago.
I think we would need to update it and make a nice presentation of this file for future reference.
- Hosting : I will do a very simple website to host the file. Latest version will always be there so it is very easy to link to. I will do that next week.
- Change log : I'll try to keep a simple change log so people can see what actually changed in the file / update single pages if it was printed out. I'll start that now.

I hope to make a good reference for the future. If there is anything to add, please tell me so I can do it.
The E46 M3 deserves to be well maintained. I plan on keeping mine forever !

Last edited by Flow; Fri, Apr-08-2016 at 07:40:03 PM.
Jump to top Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-08-2016, 06:12:58 PM   #40
Flow

In the garage:

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
Wow Excellent!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post
Props to Flow.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal View Post
It is done

Just a suggestion. It might be worth keeping a changelog in your original post. Perhaps list all the docs/url by publish date and then in brackets a brief description of what's new/changed?

Also, an 'errata / supplement' section might be good at the end of the first post. Here we can list notes, issues via page number raised by members.

It will save you from having to update the doc 'everyday'. Changes can be implemented into the doc shortly after?
Yes, this is the plan.
I just updated it. Please do the same on cutters so they have the latest version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avusbluem3 View Post
Thank you Flow!
You're welcome !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
AWESOME.

Okay if I link to this file in the maintenance thread?
Of course, but I think we first need a "permanent link" where we always put the latest file. I'll look into it a little later tonight as I just got home from a 1 week work trip.
Also, there is the torque spec thread that we would need to update. I'm not sure m3hal is still around ? He did not answer in it.