BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Mar-26-2016, 02:44:33 PM   #1
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Exclamation Feeler: Group buy on accurate replica smooth nappa leather (LSB, IR, maybe Cin)

Preface: If you're looking for cheap, this will not be the GB for you. We're looking to get leather that is indistinguishable from OE BMW smooth nappa leather in color, texture, feel. OCD people, rejoice! Lexol users, look elsewhere But, if you've been looking for accurate to factory leather for seats/dash/console/jacket/whatever, this will deliver.

Working with Braymond141 on this, which, if you've seen his build journals, his standards are extremely high. 1 2

So far we're looking at doing Laguna Seca Blue and Imola Red leather. I'm hoping we can add Cinnamon into the mix as well, but that's not certain yet.

The price structure would be as follows:
1-4 hides = $13 per sq ft. ~55 sq ft. Per hide = $715
5+ = $12 sq ft = $660
20+ = $11 sq ft = $605

Price breaks would occur per color (so, say 5 IR hides needed for IR hides to be $660 per).

Orders would be by the square foot.

If there's sufficient interest, we'll get some samples and take super detailed pics compared to stock.

So, what do we think? Anyone interested?

And, FWIW, if this happens, I'll be in for an IR hide and Brett is in for a LSB hide.

If interested, please list color and quantity you'd desire!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

FS: 6mt, RWD, iDrive free, properly maintained e91 (wagon)

Last edited by Obioban; Mon, Mar-28-2016 at 06:22:36 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Mar-26-2016, 02:47:12 PM   #2
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Feeler: Group buy on accurate replica smooth nappa leather (LSB, IR, maybe Cin)

Interested parties as of post 48:

LSB:
Braymond
smbz2789
Flow

IR:
Obioban
Surge709
Despise
smbz2789
Cruzer

Cin:
TEASE///M3
Apex_3472
Kyle90

Color TBD:
sergbaja5t
Like I Stole It
Dafoe
twboy1999
camtdot
Cha5en

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon

Last edited by Obioban; Tue, Mar-29-2016 at 12:33:00 PM.
Old Sat, Mar-26-2016, 03:00:33 PM   #3
Surge709
The Russian

In the garage:

Russian Federation

Default Re: Feeler: Group buy on accurate replica smooth nappa leather (LSB, IR, maybe Cin)

Interested!

1995 M3
2003 M5
2005 M3
Jump to top Surge709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-26-2016, 04:02:03 PM   #4
Despise

In the garage:

United States

I'd be interested in imola for sure to wrap fixed backs.

Out of curiosity, would 55 sq ft be enough to rewrap the whole interior? My interior doesn't need a rewrap, but it'd be nice to have for the future.

Instagram: @imolayellow
Jump to top Despise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-26-2016, 04:02:43 PM   #5
James1251

In the garage:

United States

I'm interested!
Old Sat, Mar-26-2016, 04:23:40 PM   #6
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despise View Post
I'd be interested in imola for sure to wrap fixed backs.

Out of curiosity, would 55 sq ft be enough to rewrap the whole interior? My interior doesn't need a rewrap, but it'd be nice to have for the future.
Fixed back seats is where my hide is going as well

Depends what you mean by whole interior-- just seats, or side cards as well?

My guess would be that you'd need 2 hides for the entire interior, including door cards.

Old Sat, Mar-26-2016, 04:35:37 PM   #7
sergbaja5t
Uncle Grandpa

In the garage:

United States

I would be interested. Do you have pictures of the actuall grain texture yet?
2002 StahlGrau MET/Schwarz M3 6spd AA headers, Supersprint x-pipe, AA Gen 4 sec3, Besian hub and seals, Turbotoy hardware, Rouge Engineering Vanos & Coolant pipe, Arp studded, H&R/ST/Bilstein coilovers, M220 19's. S54 timing tool w/ two guide pins**FOR RENT** Atlanta valve adjustment service(ask about rates)! Simple coding & DME scanning (Atlanta area)
Jump to top sergbaja5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-26-2016, 04:41:21 PM   #8
Like I Stole It

In the garage:

United States

Would love to re-wrap my seats - subbed!

Performance: K&N Drop-In, Samco Intake Boot, Agency Power Headers, Supersprint Race, Evolve Tune, CSL SMG DME, 4.10 Polished Diff from Dan@Diffsonline

Handling: AKG FCAB's, Rogue RTAB's, GC Swaybars F&R, Dinan Strut Brace, AKG Diff & Subframe Bushings, AKG Motor Mounts, Rogue Transmission Mounts, Rogue RSM's, Vert Floorpan, HPF Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Koni/Eibach Combo

Looks: 19" SSR GT3's/18" BBS CH-Blacks, 18" Apex Arc 8's Black Gills/Grills, Smoked Markers, Storm Motorwerks Shifter/Ring/Handbrake, Reflector Delete

Jump to top Like I Stole It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-26-2016, 04:41:34 PM   #9
Despise

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Fixed back seats is where my hide is going as well

Depends what you mean by whole interior-- just seats, or side cards as well?

My guess would be that you'd need 2 hides for the entire interior, including door cards.
OE wrapped fixed backs are the way to go haha

Yea I'm not 100% on what else I would wrap with the hide, but it would most likely be the seats since I wouldn't want to cut the door cards

Instagram: @imolayellow
Jump to top Despise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-26-2016, 05:26:08 PM   #10
Braymond141

United States

First off, thank you Ian for being the sponsor for this Group Buy. Hopefully we can all benefit from a price break and get some quality leather for custom projects.

I'll get into who is doing this leather work at a later date when I'm sure the company can produce the correct results (especially at this price). I have committed to one hide in LSB and already sent off LSB and Imola samples to them. Once I get my hide and everything looks good, this will get more official. Hopefully other colors too (endless choices, there is nothing they cannot match). The prices may or may not change. He was reluctant to commit to any pricing structure till we had guaranteed buyers. Keep in mind there will be distribution costs (shipping) too. Neither Ian nor I will be making anything on this, we just want the price break! Small correction; Orders are by the hide. 55 sq ft is a typical hide, but they vary so per hide costs will be up and down within the tiers. If people want smaller sections Ian or myself will have to sell off hides dedicated to that (probably fair to say there will be a small markup for doing that).

So about the sizing of a hide. It isn't a simple 10ft x 5ft piece, it's a cow skin with legs trimmed off and all. An average hide yields around 55 square feet of leather. A normal non-extended leather car should be around 3-5 hides. But I've never done this before so who knows. Here is a what a hide looks like;

Samples were mailed off yesterday. What I provided was a brand new LSB armrest, a used Imola armrest and a cut strip from the underside of an IR E46 M3 rear seat I had years ago. If Cinnamon or any other color gets done, I'll need samples from members.

You'll notice in these photos that the armrests have a smoother grain than the seat strip. I asked him to lean more towards the armrest grain on full hides, but BMW also had sections that were a little more pebbly. Anywhere in between is fine if he cannot get too smooth in cow hide. I don't want ultra smooth Novillo leather and definitely do not want Dakota rocky mountain grain.

Last edited by Braymond141; Sat, Mar-26-2016 at 05:52:24 PM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote