BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Mar-01-2016, 02:49:35 PM   #1
daryanr

In the garage:

United States

Default Parking Brake Replacement vs. Adjustment

Anyone know how often the shoes on the parking brake should be replaced, if ever? I have a horrid screeching sound coming from the rear when in reverse which I'm 90% sure is the E-brake. I'm trying to decide if it's an adjustment thing or if I should just replace the shoes while I'm at it. My '99 has 118k on it, so I don't imagine that they NEED replacing, but would be interested to hear if others have this problem at relatively reasonable mileage.

Cheers.
Jump to top daryanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Mar-01-2016, 03:42:38 PM   #2
scoobiedoo2029

United States

Default Re: Parking Brake Replacement vs. Adjustment

ive seen these things do all kinds of stupid things. if you have never been in there its a rather delicate setup, the shoes only need replaced if youve been driving on them engaged or trying to use it as a drift brake.... ive gotten 300k+ miles out of a set untill the rear dust shield rusted enough to pull the pin though and shift the assembaly. and ive also had one pad wear on my e36 somehow. there is also an adjuster in there that allows you to adjust for pad wear, youll need to tear the rotor off and inspect. and check the tension on the ebrake handle in the cabin. but it sounds like your setup has moved.

this operation is a pain, the springs are not fun to assemble. and the ebrake cables are usually stuck to the trailing arms and the car chassis on e36's so hope to avoid touching the cables. the pads have 2 pins holding them to the dust sheild with springs on them, theise are the mose important thing to how the brake setup works, once shifted its screwed. the actuator and the adjuster are usually fine. but the cables can stretch, lash can be taken out under the ebrake handle in the cabin.

if you do tear the setup down, dont loose the little pins in teh actuator!, put the pads on without the adjuster or the tension springs, then put the springs on then take a screwdriver to force the pads apart to install the adjuster, reinstall the rotor then check engagement.

Last edited by scoobiedoo2029; Tue, Mar-01-2016 at 03:51:00 PM.
Jump to top scoobiedoo2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-01-2016, 04:16:05 PM   #3
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

You will need to pull the rear disk and take a look.
This is what the brake should look like. This is with the hub removed (which, presumably, you will not remove)

Old Tue, Mar-01-2016, 05:45:45 PM   #4
daryanr

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobiedoo2029 View Post

if you do tear the setup down, dont loose the little pins in teh actuator!, put the pads on without the adjuster or the tension springs, then put the springs on then take a screwdriver to force the pads apart to install the adjuster, reinstall the rotor then check engagement.
I'm leaning towards just an adjustment, as it doesn't seem like replacing the shoes will be necessary. I think something is just loose or bent back there, causing the screeching. It started after I changed the rotors/pads last year- the discs were rusted on and so I may have been a bit too aggressive in getting them off. So strange it's only in reverse though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
You will need to pull the rear disk and take a look.
This is what the brake should look like. This is with the hub removed (which, presumably, you will not remove)

Joe, that picture is super helpful. Also, I could eat off that assembly! Is that all new part or did you clean it? Should I bother cleaning all the brake dust/potential rust that's back there?
Jump to top daryanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-01-2016, 05:50:56 PM   #5
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Sometimes the shoes and/or springs just get bumped out of alignment.

-Open it up.
-Take a photo of how it's put together.
-Pull it apart, being careful not to spin the adjusters any more than absolutely necessary.
-Hit the edges of the shoes (not the friction material, just the edge) and the inside of the rotor with a scotchbrite pad if there is any rust that needs to be knocked off.
-Hose everything down with brake parts cleaner.
-Re-assemble and adjust according to the Bentley manual procedure. Make sure you don't rotate the adjusters too much while you have things apart. With the same shoes, they shouldn't ever really need to be moved more than a turn or so.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-01-2016, 08:05:44 PM   #6
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

my shoes were totally cracked and falling apart causing my parking brake to screech. The shoes weren't that expensive so if you're going in there you may as well replace them.
Old Tue, Mar-01-2016, 08:41:43 PM   #7
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryanr View Post
Joe, that picture is super helpful. Also, I could eat off that assembly! Is that all new part or did you clean it? Should I bother cleaning all the brake dust/potential rust that's back there?
That is actually the before picture. I'm pretty sure the parking brake has never been touched on this car.
It will look much better now with the backing plate powder coated and a new wheel bearing pressed in.
Old Fri, Mar-10-2017, 09:01:06 PM   #8
tripitz

United States

When doing the parking brake refresh, is this one of the areas where the non-BMW branded cables are an okay alternative? There are Febi and Vaico alternatives that are 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of the BMW one. Normally I pick BMW, except this is just a cable....
Jump to top tripitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-10-2017, 10:49:53 PM   #9
scoobiedoo2029

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripitz View Post
When doing the parking brake refresh, is this one of the areas where the non-BMW branded cables are an okay alternative? There are Febi and Vaico alternatives that are 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of the BMW one. Normally I pick BMW, except this is just a cable....

i just had to do this a while back on the e36, i cut the cables because they where stuck in the trailing arms. i went with what ever the cheaper ones pelican or autohauz sells. i had a hell of a time installing them, i had to file them down a bit where they "press" into the trailing arms, oem probably has better fitment. i was to agressive when i filed it down and now its loose, but itll come out easy next time..

if you dont have to replace the cables dont. ive been told you can pull them from inside the cabin and leave them attached to the trailing arms if your pulling them. i didnt do this, but i would try next time if my cables fit correctly...
Old Sat, Mar-11-2017, 01:49:10 PM   #10
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

I got aftermarket cables and mine fit fine. Although I sandblasted and powder coated everything so there was no rust etc.