BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Mar-22-2015, 01:37:29 PM   #41
MMMGP
retired

In the garage:

Poland

Default Re: 98 M3 Silver Sedan - Refresh Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
I think it's the black trim of the E36 that contrasts with the light body color and looks really sharp.
Agree. Just refreshed the trim on my EB sedan, thinking about doing the door handles next.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Mar-22-2015, 04:10:26 PM   #42
suaveflooder

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Thanks, they look great.
On a side note, actually related to the thread at hand, silver is really growing on me with these cars. I think it has to do with radmobile, suaveflooder, rightyouareken and now this one being such nice examples. When they are well kept it really shows as a classy car and stands up well to modern cars, and classics.

very nice compliment! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon, Mar-23-2015, 12:55:14 AM   #43
egebhardt

United States

Saturday wasn't that productive. I needed to get out and ride my bike. There's something about sitting on this S-works SL4 that makes me think 'Ferrari'.
I just feel like in I'm in a Ferrari when I ride it. I've never driven a Ferrari. I never plan to own a Ferrari. My brain just thinks that's what a Ferrari would be like.

As usual, the cabin filter was filthy and I had one in the shed so I pulled out the glove box and swapped it. I know I could do the job without fully removing the glove box, but I wanted to wipe all those parts clean, inside and out. Dust gets everywhere after 17 years.

Then I managed to spill some of the diff fluid when it was draining. Man.. that stuff stinks. I re-filled it with 1.7qts of Valvoline Synthetic 75w-90 for Lslip diffs. I've used Redline and Valvoline dinosaur before, successfully, but I wanted to try the best Valvoline had to offer to see how clean (or not) the fluid would be. Although the car was driven conservatively by an older woman, the records showed no diff flushes. When popping the fill and drain plugs loose (in that order), I knew it had never been flushed before. The fluid came out brown. Not black or dirty. It was full too. I pumped in the new fluid used 2 new crush washers.

InspectionII's were done (twice per the records) but flushing the diff was not even on the BMW check-list. Silly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S-Works.jpg (133.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg cabin filter.jpg (103.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg valvoline diff fluid.jpg (91.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by egebhardt; Mon, Mar-23-2015 at 11:23:21 AM.
Jump to top egebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-23-2015, 05:24:57 AM   #44
egebhardt

United States

Sunday was a bit more productive. I had a spare VANOS that I rebuilt last year with Beisans (2) seals and the anti-rattle ring. I also replace the spring behind the thick washer on the end of the exhaust cam. The old spring was ~4mm tall. The new spring was ~5mm tall. I also re-install the outer thick washer flipped so the new spring can wear into the washer on an original surface. I put a new VCGasket on too. A smooth test start makes me think I did it all properly. Time will tell.

I got the wife to take a picture of me as she was leaving to swim. She said, 'Do you really need to do the that job?'. Crazy woman. What does she know. Just for that, I put the M3 in the garage after my errands so she had to park her JettaTDI outside.

I'm wearing vintage 1980s weight lifting pants I got from an old friend. I'm not allowed to wear them in public. Crocs rule too, unless the floor is wet, at which time you fall on your ass.

The records said new plugs went in 5,000 miles and 2 years ago. Bosch Platinum 4-prong FGR8KQE. They looked fine.

A test-drive took me to Firestone. I was thinking of getting an alignment until I learned the new policy. Firestone does not have a 1-year warranty anymore. $80 is for 1 alignment only. $180 for lifetime. I used to get the 1 alignment and come back for a 2nd or 3rd as I installed different bushings. Wheel Works is the same but $90 for 1 alignment only. $200 for lifetime. Since I have yet to receive my AKG RTABs, I decided to wait and get it done after that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cams1.jpg (135.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg cams4.jpg (97.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg work3.jpg (148.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg garage.jpg (168.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg bosch 4 prong.jpg (33.6 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by egebhardt; Mon, Mar-23-2015 at 04:28:09 PM.
Old Mon, Mar-23-2015, 07:52:19 AM   #45
Pierre i am
ranch me brotendo

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post
Saturday wasn't that productive. I needed to get out and ride my bike. There's something about sitting on this S-works SL4 that makes me think 'Ferrari'.
I just feel like in I'm in a Ferrari when I ride it. I've never driven a Ferrari. I never plan to own a Ferrari. My brain just thinks that's what a Ferrari would be like.

As usual, the cabin filter was filthy and I had one in the shed so I pulled out the glove box and swapped it. I know I could do the job without fully removing the glove box, but I wanted to wipe all those parts clean, inside and out. Dust gets everywhere after 17 years.

Then I managed to spill some of the diff fluid when it was draining. Man.. that stuff stinks. I re-filled it with 1.7qts of Valvoline Synthetic 75w-90 for Lslip diffs. I've used Redline and Valvoline regular before successfully but I wanted to try the best Valvoline had to offer. I really just wanted to flush it and see if it was clean. Although the car was driven conservatively by an older woman, the records showed no diff flushes. When popping the fill and drain plugs loose (in that order), I knew it had never been flushed before. The fluid came out brown, not black or dirty. It was full too. I pumped in the new fluid used 2 new crush washers.

InspectionII's were done (twice per the records) but flushing the diff was not even on the BMW check-list. Silly.

BMW rated their diff/ transmission oil as life time hence why it did not show up on the inspection records.

https://m.imgur.com/r/funny/vrjdqZ4
Jump to top Pierre i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-23-2015, 02:46:33 PM   #46
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmobile View Post
Silver Street Surfers FTW!

Braymond - those seats look incredible. Best I've seen since evo viii recaro seats redone for an e36 M3. I really don't mind the Vaders' comfort (or lack there of). But if I found enough hurricane cloth for inserts with dove leather bolsters then I would swap the Vaders out in a heartbeat. Hell, even m-technic grey cloth inserts from an e30 would probably look good.
The comfort isn't great for me with these Vaders, but what really kills me is the lack of side bolsters. It's never pleasant to have to brace yourself by holding the steering wheel. Those Recaro's look amazing, I'd love to put those on my car.

Quote:

Then I managed to spill some of the diff fluid when it was draining. Man.. that stuff stinks. I re-filled it with 1.7qts of Valvoline Synthetic 75w-90 for Lslip diffs. I've used Redline and Valvoline dinosaur before, successfully, but I wanted to try the best Valvoline had to offer to see how clean (or not) the fluid would be. Although the car was driven conservatively by an older woman, the records showed no diff flushes. When popping the fill and drain plugs loose (in that order), I knew it had never been flushed before. The fluid came out brown. Not black or dirty. It was full too. I pumped in the new fluid used 2 new crush washers.

Damn, I really need to check my cabin filter. I've had a new one sitting in the garage for almost 4 months and have been to lazy to switch out

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-23-2015, 04:56:34 PM   #47
RightYouAreKen

In the garage:

United States

Wow on the cabin filter! I need to check mine.

Also, those pants/socks/crocs is a good look

You're really diving in. Your suspension refresh is giving me motivation to do mine...
Old Wed, Mar-25-2015, 07:10:20 PM   #48
egebhardt

United States

The car sits in the garage for now. I've installed all the parts I had in the shed so now I'm waiting for:
FCP Euro
The BMW Part Store
Ebay
Pelican Parts

Now an alignment conundrum after the RTABs go in.
$110 for 1-time ?
$160 for lifetime alignments ?

Last edited by egebhardt; Wed, Mar-25-2015 at 11:51:42 PM.
Old Wed, Mar-25-2015, 08:18:06 PM   #49
matty.

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Thanks, they look great.
On a side note, actually related to the thread at hand, silver is really growing on me with these cars. I think it has to do with radmobile, suaveflooder, rightyouareken and now this one being such nice examples. When they are well kept it really shows as a classy car and stands up well to modern cars, and classics.
Agreed. Silver on these cars ages well. It used to be a color I never even noticed. Now it is my favorite along with fern green. It doesn't scream boy racer and still has a bit of sophistication even though its a 20 year old car.

Quote:
The list is coming along nice. So true about an ltw carbon bike. I love to ride too. Trek madone here.

Just curious, since you've bought and 'refreshed' so many e36's, if you've had any big lessons learned you'd care to share. I would be interested in hearing them!
Jump to top matty. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-25-2015, 11:34:35 PM   #50
egebhardt

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty. View Post
Just curious, since you've bought and 'refreshed' so many e36's, if you've had any big lessons learned you'd care to share. I would be interested in hearing them!
Good question. Here are a few. Keep in mind that I am not a professional. This is only an expensive hobby.

First of all, these cars require 100 jobs.
The 75k Edge List falls awfully short.
http://www.edgemotorworks.com/E36-Series-3
If you don't do 100 jobs within the first few months of getting the car, you'll never keep up. Of those 100, there are bigger jobs (shocks, clutch, vanos) and smaller jobs (fix dents, tires, brakes, cleaning, broken switch). The 21 bushings and joints under the car is a half-dozen jobs. Some jobs lead to other jobs. You get the idea.

Second, "Fresh trumps Fancy".
It means that a regular dinosaur engine oil change today is better than Mobil1 full syn tomorrow because the other fluids may get ignored. The cost of the Mobil1 can cost as much as engine oil, diff oil and Power steering flushes combined.
With air and fluid filters, it's similar but there are filters that are too cheap. Use your best judgement.
The power steering system takes ATF and is often soooo neglected. I flush it right away with a cheap ATF, then start worry about leaks. Then flush it again with something nicer because new hoses will demand yet another flush.

And third, Records.
I make a detailed spreadsheet of all maintenance and interesting details. I start with what the owner told and gave me. Then dig to dealerships and shop receipts and CarFax. It all goes online and into a binder with the hard copies.
Date, Mileage, Description, Part #, $Cost, Who did the work(Shop)
You will forget what you did and what fluid and what volume and what price and where you got it, etc, etc.. This is the only way to remember accurately.

Last edited by egebhardt; Thu, Apr-13-2017 at 05:48:10 PM.