BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Jan-21-2016, 10:13:56 PM   #41
Shimp52

United States

Default Re: My 98 M3/4/5 Build Thread

Jealous you're driving yours around in the winter, going though pretty bad withdrawals over here, mines been off the road since October. Suspension refresh is next years project for me but you took it to a new level with the prep and paint. Looking good
Jump to top Shimp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jan-22-2016, 12:03:19 AM   #42
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimp52 View Post
Jealous you're driving yours around in the winter, going though pretty bad withdrawals over here, mines been off the road since October. Suspension refresh is next years project for me but you took it to a new level with the prep and paint. Looking good
Actually not driving it this winter. She's only done 1 michigan winter and will never see another as long as I own it! And yeh I've pretty darn OCD and have to stop myself sometimes. It's a little overwhelming with everything apart but I'm feeling better as things start getting reassembled
Old Fri, Jan-22-2016, 08:28:54 PM   #43
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Noticed you're using the AKG subframe mounts. I'm probably going to keep mine installed as well, but I would advise you not to use the matching diff mounts. You will get very bad diff whine at freeway speeds. Mine is so bad my wife cannot hear me from the back seat. Stick with OEM rubber on the diff.

I have not been impressed with anything poly. It will all get deleted if the diff rubber swap doesn't alleviate the noise.
Well crap. I also just bought all AKG black for my suspension & subframe rebuild. Not installed yet but all the parts are back from powder coat and I'm just waiting for the Rear Trailing Arm Pocket Reinforcement plates to get welded in so I can proceed. I don't weld so a mobile guy is coming in a couple weeks. Now it sounds like I should rethink the AKG bushing move?
Old Fri, Jan-22-2016, 10:17:00 PM   #44
Shimp52

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
Well crap. I also just bought all AKG black for my suspension & subframe rebuild. Not installed yet but all the parts are back from powder coat and I'm just waiting for the Rear Trailing Arm Pocket Reinforcement plates to get welded in so I can proceed. I don't weld so a mobile guy is coming in a couple weeks. Now it sounds like I should rethink the AKG bushing move?
I left my subframe bushings OE and went with Turners solid aluminum and front Delrin for the diff bushings, it's not terribly loud at all. I'd argue the tires break loose easier after this mod. You can hear the diff whine which personally I love but mine is not a daily. The consensus I came to from my readings and other peoples experience is there's no benefit at all to changing the composition of the subframe bushings due to the nature of what they do and the direction of force. Making the diff bushings stiffer has a much better benefit and requires less effort, while also addressing the front bushing weakness of shearing off from twisting forces. My front bolt was actually bent when I replaced it, only a matter of time before it sheared off.
Jump to top Shimp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-22-2016, 10:23:20 PM   #45
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimp52 View Post
I left my subframe bushings OE and went with Turners solid aluminum and front Delrin for the diff bushings, it's not terribly loud at all. I'd argue the tires break loose easier after this mod. You can hear the diff whine which personally I love but mine is not a daily. The consensus I came to from my readings and other peoples experience is there's no benefit at all to changing the composition of the subframe bushings due to the nature of what they do and the direction of force. Making the diff bushings stiffer has a much better benefit and requires less effort, while also addressing the front bushing weakness of shearing off from twisting forces. My front bolt was actually bent when I replaced it, only a matter of time before it sheared off.
My diff bolt was also bent! As I undid it the diff was moving up and down about 1/2" lol I think the AKG bushings will be fine. My trans already whines like crazy from the 75D engine and trans mounts and I love that. Guess we'll see how bad it is once it's on the road!
Old Sat, Jan-23-2016, 03:35:55 PM   #46
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
My diff bolt was also bent! As I undid it the diff was moving up and down about 1/2" lol I think the AKG bushings will be fine. My trans already whines like crazy from the 75D engine and trans mounts and I love that. Guess we'll see how bad it is once it's on the road!
I purchased the Bimmerworld hardened diff bolt as a precaution and will install it as I re-assemble. I know some folks drill out the front diff mount and use a much bigger bolt but I did not want to go down that path. I'm going to stick with AKG and see how it goes. Mine car is not my daily driver so a little whine is probably acceptable.
Old Tue, Aug-02-2016, 09:52:16 PM   #47
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

figured Id update this thread finally. Been slow progress as work has been busy and money has been tight but i have been tinkering.

rebuilt the diff with the 3 clutch disk upgrade.

Painted the Diff

And added new side seals

Mocked up the rear subframe assembly

And the hardest part of all.... cleaning and prepping the rear end as i didn't want to assemble everything into a dirty body.

Base coat of RustBullet undercoating which kills rust and seals everything in

And finally the top black coat. This stuff had very good reviews but i would not have used it again. If i were to do it again i would use the base silver, then spray a proper bed liner paint under there. Its a very tough coating and it will work for what i want it to do

will hopefully start getting the rear end in next week! slow progress.
Old Tue, Aug-02-2016, 09:58:29 PM   #48
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Looks really good. Great job. Just replace the two rusted diff mount bolts for a super clean look!
Old Tue, Aug-02-2016, 11:00:03 PM   #49
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

That's sweet.

'98 S50B32 M3 SMG Cabrio . Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz . 1 of 10 made
Jump to top M_Parallel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-02-2016, 11:56:46 PM   #50
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
Looks really good. Great job. Just replace the two rusted diff mount bolts for a super clean look!
They actually got wire brushed and painted black! I wanted to replace every nut and bolt but they charge stupid money and BMW uses non standard threads so I've had to clean up and reuse a few.