BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Apr-30-2012, 07:06:17 PM   #31
MSpeedAddict
lol stock

In the garage:

United States

Bump, I've done everything OP has + fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, and many other things.

Still have idle drop
Jump to top MSpeedAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, May-14-2012, 12:45:58 AM   #32
Wengy

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: Idle Drop Issue..

Here's a very interesting development. I leave my air conditioning on, rain or shine, winter or summer, and today I was taking my nephew for a ride and his feet were getting cold, so I shut off the air conditioning, first time in a long time. Almost immediately my idle drop issue got worse, and got progressively worse to the point where it was trying to quit on me. I could only keep it alive at stop signs by adding gas while I had my foot down on the clutch pedal.

When I got back I took it for a ride again, this time with the air conditioning on, and the problem went away. When I turned the air conditioning off again the problem returned in a couple minutes.

So my idle drop issue appears to be connected to the air conditioning. And it figures, as in the mornings when I drive the car its cold and the air conditioning is rarely running, and my idle drop issues seem to be worse then.

So someone explain to me how my air conditioning is connected to my idle drop issue.
Jump to top Wengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2012, 02:16:50 AM   #33
MSpeedAddict
lol stock

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengy View Post
Here's a very interesting development. I leave my air conditioning on, rain or shine, winter or summer, and today I was taking my nephew for a ride and his feet were getting cold, so I shut off the air conditioning, first time in a long time. Almost immediately my idle drop issue got worse, and got progressively worse to the point where it was trying to quit on me. I could only keep it alive at stop signs by adding gas while I had my foot down on the clutch pedal.

When I got back I took it for a ride again, this time with the air conditioning on, and the problem went away. When I turned the air conditioning off again the problem returned in a couple minutes.

So my idle drop issue appears to be connected to the air conditioning. And it figures, as in the mornings when I drive the car its cold and the air conditioning is rarely running, and my idle drop issues seem to be worse then.

So someone explain to me how my air conditioning is connected to my idle drop issue.
My air conditioning affects my idle drop issue as well.
Jump to top MSpeedAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2012, 05:27:28 AM   #34
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Quote:
Typically when turning the AC on the ECU tells the ICV to speed the idle up by 50 or 100 RPM. I think that's in the AutoEnginuity readout also as a function that you can trigger with the diagnostics tool.
  • 2002 M3C/6 - Imola Red/Black - SOLD
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster. - SOLD
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - SOLD and not forgotten..
  • 2012 R1200R - Roadster, Ruby Red - the new REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's new toy.
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, white/black. My new toy..
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2012, 05:49:17 AM   #35
amanonfire

Canada

Quote:
I have the exact OPPOSITE issue. Without the AC on my idle is fine, with the AC on the idle drop occurs consistently.
Jump to top amanonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2012, 06:23:24 AM   #36
OC///M3
:)

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanonfire View Post
I have the exact OPPOSITE issue. Without the AC on my idle is fine, with the AC on the idle drop occurs consistently.
Yep, same for me.. At a stop, my ac causes an idle drop of about 400rpm, in addition to a nice "rumble" throughout the car. It's funny, my e36 m3 had the same issue and I never could resolve that one, either.

Koni Yellows | Vogtland Springs | PowerFlex Bushage
Jump to top OC///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2012, 04:00:08 PM   #37
ROASTM

In the garage:

United States

My car also has this issue... 2006 M3 6MT... and it's worse when the A/C is switched off or on, then I believe it goes away.

I notice the idle drop much more often when cold, as other replies have stated too
Jump to top ROASTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2012, 04:37:23 PM   #38
Wengy

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
Typically when turning the AC on the ECU tells the ICV to speed the idle up by 50 or 100 RPM. I think that's in the AutoEnginuity readout also as a function that you can trigger with the diagnostics tool.
Deilenberger. Have you got any advice on what the issue may be, in my case? Having the AC on doesn't make my idle drop issue disappear, but its certainly less severe and less frequent then when I have my AC turned off.

My car hasn't had any special tunes or modifications. It's a vanilla M3 convertible, 2001, with only 56,000kms on the clock. It's well looked after.

Has anyone got any ideas or recommendations on what I should look at?
Old Mon, May-14-2012, 07:25:10 PM   #39
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Without studying the ETM, this is just a WAG. If you could spoof the signal the ZFE (body module) sends to the ECU when the AC compressor is on - so it thinks it's on all the time, that would up your idle a bit.

Someplace I vaguely remember some reprogramming being available to simply up the idle RPM - I believe the dealer may be able to do this... but that's from the dark recesses of my memory so it could be entirely imaginary.
  • 2002 M3C/6 - Imola Red/Black - SOLD
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster. - SOLD
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - SOLD and not forgotten..
  • 2012 R1200R - Roadster, Ruby Red - the new REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's new toy.
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, white/black. My new toy..
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2012, 07:30:06 PM   #40
Wengy

In the garage:

Canada

This is not a problem the car used to have. It started about 2 years after I bought it. If it was a problem with the computer or software, my sense is the problem would be more consistent, no? I mean do ECU's degrade over time? My sense about computers is the work until they don't anymore, and when they fail they stay broken.

Is there any wear and tear on components that might explain the problem? Perhaps the MAF or ICV?