BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Dec-18-2011, 05:22:58 PM   #41
BustedShox

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Gutting stock E46 M3 muffler discussion/compilation thread

There is a guy here in Nashville that I hope will eventually chime in that has gutted the stock muffler. He tracks the car and its by far one of the best sounding exhaust I have heard on an E46 M3. Keep us updated!
Jump to top BustedShox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Dec-18-2011, 08:16:18 PM   #42
AngE46

United States

i defiantly wanna see this
Jump to top AngE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-18-2011, 08:34:33 PM   #43
bimmerfan08
Wishing I Was At VIR

In the garage:

United States

Update! Again I promise pictures soon...they are all on my DSLR, but I cut open the middle or section 2 as I call it. Inside was two full closed wide diameter pipes running longitudinal near the top about an inch below the shell. Below these pipes was the piping to the other two muffler tips or exit pipes. Again the outermost pipe is perforated and the innermost is closed piping. I then discovered that there is another chamber between the two chambers I have cut open. This chamber is small and right in the middle of the muffler. There is no fiberglass packing in this chamber (I drilled a hole and used a pick to probe around and the chamber sounds hollow). Therefore I didnt mess with cutting it open. Ill now be moving on the side closest to the driver side/exhaust inlet side. Will post up tonight my findings and have the pics for you guys soon. My one recommendation at this point is to wear gloves and a respirator mask when removing the fiberglass. The ashy dust is very fine and floats in the air easily.
But what I see daily are typical German car colors; blacks, silvers, grays and whites. They look nice, I agree, but to me the appeal is what the M cars were in the 1980s an event. Its not so much that I want to be noticed, but more that I want to stand apart from the crowd. And to me, Phoenix Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue are two of the best ways to differentiate your M3 experience from the norm.
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-18-2011, 08:34:44 PM   #44
M3ANMACHINE
@natrajusa

India

Interesting last post.

In for updates!

2011 E90 ///M3 | Space Grey | Fox Red | DCT | ZCP | Slicktop

-----
2008 E90 M3 | AW | 6MT | Slicktop
2004 E46 M3 | CB | SMG
Jump to top M3ANMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-18-2011, 10:18:35 PM   #45
bimmerfan08
Wishing I Was At VIR

In the garage:

United States

Update! I cut open section 1 which is the section furthest left on the muffler near the exhaust inlet. This is the biggest chamber. There was fiberglass packing which I removed. There are two curved perforated pipes in this section that connect to the exhaust inlet pipes and feed through the next chamber into the two logitudinal pipes that I explained above. There is yet another smaller chamber between this one and the exhaust inlet pipes. The steel plate separating these two chambers is perforated. Ill be drilling a hole to see if there is any fiberglass packing in this chamber and that should be a wrap for the gutting portion. Everything has been photographed and documented. I have concluded that the muffler is divided into 5 chambers with 4 structural steel plates sectioning off each chamber...and plenty of odd angled pipes on the inside. Its a puzzling and interesting muffler design but the pictures will do justice.
But what I see daily are typical German car colors; blacks, silvers, grays and whites. They look nice, I agree, but to me the appeal is what the M cars were in the 1980s an event. Its not so much that I want to be noticed, but more that I want to stand apart from the crowd. And to me, Phoenix Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue are two of the best ways to differentiate your M3 experience from the norm.
Old Mon, Dec-19-2011, 12:00:55 AM   #46
bimmerfan08
Wishing I Was At VIR

In the garage:

United States

Last update for tonight. I gutted that last section/chamber. Its the smallest chamber and it sits right behind the exhaust inlet pipes. There are two perforated pipes running through this chamber that go through the peforated steel plate into the next chamber. In total I gutted 4 chambers and I believe the 5th does not have any fiberglass packing as seen from other pictures and from poking a pick in there. Ill drill another small hole just to confirm. Here are the weights below, and I weighed both the muffler and fiberglass packing more than 3 times each and pulled these numbers.

Muffler weight after gutting with 1 hanger attached and rough cuts: 45.4 lbs
Im sure it will be a little lighter when I remove the hanger.

Fiberglass packing/baffling weight: 8.1 lbs

The muffler does feel lighter but the steel sheel makes up most of the heavy weight (1.50mm thick). Ill be editing pictures tonight and putting them in order to post up here tomorrow. You guys can then throw out ideas of how I can possibly go about modifying it before I weld it back shut.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; Mon, Dec-19-2011 at 12:11:19 AM.
Old Mon, Dec-19-2011, 01:12:16 AM   #47
bimmerfan08
Wishing I Was At VIR

In the garage:

United States

Preview picture of whats to come

Old Mon, Dec-19-2011, 02:49:29 AM   #48
opey

United States

are u planning on connecting all the pipes? i think thats what i want to do

04 IR/IR 6spd
sold =(
Jump to top opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-19-2011, 05:13:32 AM   #49
RedM3/4

United States

Haven't read the whole thread. Back in the day folks would pour oil into mufflers to simply burn out the fiberglass to an extent. I imagine you'd have folks calling the popo or fire dept nowadays if you tried that, LOL!

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-19-2011, 05:04:35 PM   #50
bimmerfan08
Wishing I Was At VIR

In the garage:

United States

Guys, I edited my first post to include my process for the removal of the fiberglass baffling and the internals of the muffler explained.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; Mon, Dec-19-2011 at 11:48:27 PM.