BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 12:42:49 AM   #411
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Gutting stock E46 M3 muffler discussion/compilation thread and my DIY

Internals are done. Ready to button it up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk, Modified Stock Muffler
Jump to top nasieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 12:46:32 AM   #412
Braymond141

United States

Default Re: Gutting stock E46 M3 muffler discussion/compilation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasieg View Post
Coincidence that this thread is getting bumped again. I just got an update on my muffler. A friend of mine (who is an awesome fabricator)is eliminating chambers 3-5 for me. I wanted it to be done cleanly and his work never disappoints.

Looking forward to hearing what this will sound like

Damn that is good work. I'm guessing the stealth rear box is the whole plan? Without any perforations in the pipe and packing, that is going to be quite loud.
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 12:52:00 AM   #413
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Damn that is good work. I'm guessing the stealth rear box is the whole plan? Without any perforations in the pipe and packing, that is going to be quite loud.
I can't take credit for the work itself. The guy that is doing it builds Ultra 4 competition cars for a living.

If you follow this thread, it seems that straight piping chambers 3-5, does not result in huge noise increase. It seems that packing chambers 1&2 do more of that, so for now I left those alone and will see how I like this.
I have euro headers and section 1 and am really not far from pleased with the stock muffler. A couple more db's and more racy sound is all I want. If it wasn't for the price, I'd get a SS street or sport, but $1500 just seems like a lot for a stupid muffler.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk, Modified Stock Muffler
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 04:43:45 AM   #414
UdubBadger

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Gutting stock E46 M3 muffler discussion/compilation thread and my DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliM3 View Post

Great work, that's basically perfect IMO

Jump to top UdubBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 05:37:24 AM   #415
LSB FTW
Fear is exciting for me

United States

Quote:
Hey guys don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but stainless steel wool is the shiz-nit packing. I forewent repacking the stock muffler and decided to tackle my Megan race exhaust that had been sitting in the garage for about 2 years (reluctant to put it on after listening to you tube vids, YUKE).

Anyway, I pulled all the fiberglass matting out of the canisters and repacked with COARSE Stainless Steel Wool, 5lb Roll. Promise I'll get a sound vid up, but the SS wool attenuates sound soooooo much better than rock wool or fiberglass. It will significantly cut down on the high freq's, giving a much much deeper sound. Plus the stuff will last pretty much forever, not blowing out or significantly degrading over time.
Hi Brian,
I was wondering how much stainless steel wool did you use? Which chambers did you repack? How did it sound, more raspy or less?
Jump to top LSB FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 01:13:11 PM   #416
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

Thanks guys

Keep in mind this isn't the stock gutted muffler, rather a Megan Race exhaust. I used just shy of half the roll per canister; Cut in 6-ft lengths, loosely rolled/balled-up, & packed into the canisters fairly tight.

Just want to reiterate, make sure you're using stainless and not just regular steel wool. This stuff should last the life of your muffler and not blow-out, or change sound significantly, once it's got a good glaze of carbon.

Quote:
Nice man! I will be opening mine again (for the tenth time) and use this to pack section 1 and 2. Sounds like it cleans up some the harsher tones.
Do you have stock headers?
@icecream:
I definitely don't have symphony maestro ears, but in person you can tell there's sort of a unique sound with the SS wool. Something about the weight compared to fiber, how it vibrates and attenuates certain freq's. A lot of the upper echelon bike exhausts use SS wool or some synthetic textile that take like 5k; that's really where I got the idea.
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-22-2017, 03:02:01 AM   #417
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Default Gutting stock E46 M3 muffler discussion/compilation thread

I got my stock gutted (eliminated chambers 3-5) muffler installed.
The results are positive. I only went for a brief drive, letting the car get to operating temp, so I could rev'd up a bit and give it a couple of test runs through the rpm range.

I noticed immediately after starting the engine, that the note was noticeable deeper, but not significantly louder. Just a nicer fuller and deeper burble.
Once you step on it, the deeper rumble fades a bit as it gains the higher pitch of the stock muffler back, and I want to say it might have lost a bit of the rasps. If I had to compare the sound to any of the aftermarket mufflers I am familiar with, I would compare it to the Dinan or A/C Schnitzer muffler sound.

I have to say I am pleased. It's just a hair louder, but deeper and more purposeful and about 5lbs lighter than before and did not cost me a whole lot.

I took a video with my iPhone. Not the best representation, but better than nothing. I will upload it shortly.

My Journal

Last edited by nasieg; Wed, Mar-22-2017 at 03:07:48 AM.
Old Wed, Mar-22-2017, 07:49:51 AM   #418
OldFanatic
19 yr BMWCCA Member

United States

Quote:
I definitely don't have symphony maestro ears, but in person you can tell there's sort of a unique sound with the SS wool. Something about the weight compared to fiber, how it vibrates and attenuates certain freq's. A lot of the upper echelon bike exhausts use SS wool or some synthetic textile that take like 5k; that's really where I got the idea.
interesting, i was going to ask about this as i would have sworn i read not to use SS Wool in high heat areas. i recall that SuperSprint uses a high heat rock wool just for this reason. but good to know.
-SANS SUNROOF-
Jump to top OldFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-22-2017, 08:13:38 AM   #419
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasieg View Post
I got my stock gutted (eliminated chambers 3-5) muffler installed.
The results are positive. I only went for a brief drive, letting the car get to operating temp, so I could rev'd up a bit and give it a couple of test runs through the rpm range.

I noticed immediately after starting the engine, that the note was noticeable deeper, but not significantly louder. Just a nicer fuller and deeper burble.
Once you step on it, the deeper rumble fades a bit as it gains the higher pitch of the stock muffler back, and I want to say it might have lost a bit of the rasps. If I had to compare the sound to any of the aftermarket mufflers I am familiar with, I would compare it to the Dinan or A/C Schnitzer muffler sound.

I have to say I am pleased. It's just a hair louder, but deeper and more purposeful and about 5lbs lighter than before and did not cost me a whole lot.

I took a video with my iPhone. Not the best representation, but better than nothing. I will upload it shortly.

https://youtu.be/QKoG6hFNAi8

Wow, that sounds pretty nice, especially up higher in the revs. Nice and clean sounding, probably not a ton louder than stock but no rasp really. Looks good!
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-06-2017, 02:36:08 AM   #420
gojcaj
Cool like a fool in a swimming pool

Albania

Quote:

Sounds fantastic! Any drone?

Sold
O|||||||O - 2014 Jeep JKURX
Jump to top gojcaj is offline   Reply With Quote