BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 04:33:55 PM   #21
ascendotuum

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Gutting stock E46 M3 muffler discussion/compilation thread

Sounds really good. And oh man that E92 vid is sweet too. The idle after the mod sounds like american muscle haha.
Jump to top ascendotuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 04:58:16 PM   #22
///M3Fresh
Motorsport

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascendotuum View Post
Sounds really good. And oh man that E92 vid is sweet too. The idle after the mod sounds like american muscle haha.
Until you rev it up....

Honestly, just do it. Like the OP said earlier its 100 bucks to replace it ( or you can buy mine for $75, its for sale) I personally think that the stock exhaust sounds like crap with all the rasp, and to me it makes the car sound different but still like an M3 (just amplified) but still lik crap. Almost like someone that has no muffler b.c it was rusted of....

CLICK
Jump to top ///M3Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 05:43:50 PM   #23
curiouz_g

In the garage:

United States

Seems like you're in VA. If you want, I have a stock muffler too that I'd be willing to cut up and experiment with. That way we can do 2 different types of designs instead of one. LMK
Jump to top curiouz_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 06:10:26 PM   #24
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckafunctional View Post
It's true.
Removing the fiberglass won't change anything.
My buddy removed the fiberglass from his oem g37 mufflers and it acutally got quieter
Read this: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouz_g View Post
Seems like you're in VA. If you want, I have a stock muffler too that I'd be willing to cut up and experiment with. That way we can do 2 different types of designs instead of one. LMK
Where are you located? VA?
But what I see daily are typical German car colors; blacks, silvers, grays and whites. They look nice, I agree, but to me the appeal is what the M cars were in the 1980s an event. Its not so much that I want to be noticed, but more that I want to stand apart from the crowd. And to me, Phoenix Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue are two of the best ways to differentiate your M3 experience from the norm.
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 06:21:46 PM   #25
curiouz_g

In the garage:

United States

NoVa area.
Jump to top curiouz_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 06:22:59 PM   #26
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouz_g View Post
NoVa area.
pm coming
But what I see daily are typical German car colors; blacks, silvers, grays and whites. They look nice, I agree, but to me the appeal is what the M cars were in the 1980s an event. Its not so much that I want to be noticed, but more that I want to stand apart from the crowd. And to me, Phoenix Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue are two of the best ways to differentiate your M3 experience from the norm.
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 11:08:05 PM   #27
bmxpert86

United States

Im disappointed with the sound from my Borla mufflers. Well not intirely true, sometimes I love it, and sometimes I feel it's to childish, Boy racer, tin can, cheap sounding.. Haha. If this at all turns out to sound stock with a little more umphh, I would be all over it.

Unfortunatly, our cars will never have that deep throaty v8 growl, Wich I love.

It's a shame I gave my oem muffler away for free, could of been a nice guinea pig.
04 M3 TiAg/Black...One day TiAg/IR. Borla exhaust, CSL rep boot lid lip exposed, ACS diffuser and Roof Spoiler, Silver CF interior wrap, CSL splitter's, AE's, CF roundels, System that makes the trunk go boom with the weight of a dead hooker. Many more to come.
Jump to top bmxpert86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-08-2011, 04:17:53 AM   #28
mpower22
CPV O-Ring Guy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by opey View Post
not so much.. you arent dropping anywhere near that much weight. you might drop 25 or so lbs with an aftermarket muffler, and 10lbs or so with a csl/mini battery. dropping 40lbs off the rear of a 3400lb car isnt going to throw off any dynamics.
Try again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzeep View Post
Opey brings up a good point.
not so much...

For those with limited knowledge of the E46 M3:

OE Muffler: 60lbs
CSL Muffler: 55lbs
HPF Muffler: 6 lbs (one of many lightweight aftermarket if you're looking for weight savings).
Source: http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...Titanium/13483
... and I have a CSL muffler weighed/installed
I would call that 50lbs+ actually.

OE Battery: 49lbs
CSL Battery: 34lbs
Braille Racing Battery: 21lbs
Hi/Low difference ~ 30lbs
Source: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233195

Please don't post useless information that may be misleading to others when viewing this thread unless you have facts to back it up. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Thats where corner balancing plays its part
+1 OP, thank you for clarifying..

And yes, I understood gutting the fiber wouldn't be a weight reduction issue earlier.. I think there's also some kind of glass pack in there in addition to the fiber as I've seen a damaged/dented muffler and heard particulate matter rattling around. There may be a bit more to the sound insulation, but I've never seen one cut open. Interested to see where this goes.

2003 M3Laguna Seca Blue/6MT/Black Leather Cloth Interior/Full [CSL] Exhaust/evolve-R
Original Owner, Custom Built - PDC, Moonroof, Bi-xenons (TFX), Brushed Aluminum Trim, Bluetooth ULF
European - Rotors (F&R), Bumper, Mirrors, Warning Triangle, Console, LSZ, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher
OE LED Conversion/Outer Ring Mod | V1 Hardwired/Ashtray Display | 3M 35% Tint | Intravee II, Diamond H600s, JL 10W3v3, HD900/5
Jump to top mpower22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-08-2011, 04:48:29 AM   #29
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower22 View Post
Try again...

not so much...

For those with limited knowledge of the E46 M3:

OE Muffler: 60lbs
CSL Muffler: 55lbs
HPF Muffler: 6 lbs (one of many lightweight aftermarket if you're looking for weight savings).
Source: http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...Titanium/13483
... and I have a CSL muffler weighed/installed
I would call that 50lbs+ actually.

OE Battery: 49lbs
CSL Battery: 34lbs
Braille Racing Battery: 21lbs
Hi/Low difference ~ 30lbs
Source: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233195

Please don't post useless information that may be misleading to others when viewing this thread unless you have facts to back it up. Thanks!

+1 OP, thank you for clarifying..

And yes, I understood gutting the fiber wouldn't be a weight reduction issue earlier.. I think there's also some kind of glass pack in there in addition to the fiber as I've seen a damaged/dented muffler and heard particulate matter rattling around. There may be a bit more to the sound insulation, but I've never seen one cut open. Interested to see where this goes.
Im working with curiouz-g up above regarding the stock muffler. After our finals, we will begin discussing a possible design. We live fairly close to each other so fabbing something up shouldnt be a problem.

Also note that the E46f weblink contains pictures of the cut open muffler
Old Fri, Dec-16-2011, 08:27:45 PM   #30
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Bump, now that finals are complete and Im back home studying for the GRE and working, I have some down time to put towards this project. I talked with a friend who has various tools for different applications. He has a torch but doesnt recommend it on the muffler, but insisted on a sharp rotating blade that could cut the steel. Im trying to keep the cut clean and square so as to weld it back up with minimal damage to the muffler casing itself. Open to suggestions.

Ill also be taking pictures of the process as I go along. If all else fails and I dont like the end product, Ill scrap it and buy another OEM muffler for cheap.