BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Dec-06-2011, 07:33:51 AM   #11
BMWchubbs
Booby Connoisseur

In the garage:

Germany

Default Re: Gutting stock E46 M3 muffler discussion/compilation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty99 View Post
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the ghetto-ness
What is so "Ghetto" about this mod?

Back in the day, people would pay Dinan over $1k to do this on an E36 and it sold like crazy because of the name.

I am actually interested in doing this after hearing the youtube links posted. If I don't like it, oh well, I'll pick up a different rear section which I planned on doing anyway.

We did this to a customers E9X M3. I was actually amazed at the difference and how well it sounded.

Jump to top BMWchubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Dec-06-2011, 10:56:47 AM   #12
mpower22
CPV O-Ring Guy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by opey View Post
the increased sound is nice, but i wish there was a way to lighten the muffler also, being that its so heavy and its one of the nice things about the aftermarket ones. maybe weld back in thin sheet metal instead of the shell where you open it up? shouldnt make much of a difference in the strength of it as long as its just some areas

also i just saw a thread the other day where someone connected the pipes inside the muffler, i cant find it or remember if it was here or on e46f
A good thing to remember that most people overlook, is that the muffler was made heavy not only for strength, but to achieve the desired 50/50 weight distribution for superior handling. Extreme reduction of weight only in the rear from dropping 50 pounds from using an aftermarket muffler and another 40 or so off of the battery compromises the dynamics of the car.

2003 M3Laguna Seca Blue/6MT/Black Leather Cloth Interior/Full [CSL] Exhaust/evolve-R
Original Owner, Custom Built - PDC, Moonroof, Bi-xenons (TFX), Brushed Aluminum Trim, Bluetooth ULF
European - Rotors (F&R), Bumper, Mirrors, Warning Triangle, Console, LSZ, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher
OE LED Conversion/Outer Ring Mod | V1 Hardwired/Ashtray Display | 3M 35% Tint | Intravee II, Diamond H600s, JL 10W3v3, HD900/5
Jump to top mpower22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 01:16:44 AM   #13
wikidm3

In the garage:

United States

Keep in mind the weight of the OEM muffler is useful and even valuable in states with snow. The added weight over the rear wheels will improve traction somewhat. I purchased an Agency Power exhaust (25 lbs weight savings) and am considerably disappointed in the obnoxious exhaust note after "break in." I even contacted Matt at AP and he basically said "sorry, its loud, deal with it" Total db, and even after dual AP20s hes still insistent there has, and never will be a production flaw... even though we all know nothing is flawless and all products have inherent errors.

2003.5 /// Carbon/Cinnamon /SMG / Hardwire V1/ K&N Filter/ Titanium Agency Power / AR20/ H&R Sport/ Koni Yellows / Painted Reflectors / SA Angel Eyes/ Smoked Corners / Matte Grilles/ 19" VARRSTOEN 1.1.2/ Wiffle Ball/Bat
Jump to top wikidm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 01:37:40 AM   #14
opey

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower22 View Post
A good thing to remember that most people overlook, is that the muffler was made heavy not only for strength, but to achieve the desired 50/50 weight distribution for superior handling. Extreme reduction of weight only in the rear from dropping 50 pounds from using an aftermarket muffler and another 40 or so off of the battery compromises the dynamics of the car.
not so much.. you arent dropping anywhere near that much weight. you might drop 25 or so lbs with an aftermarket muffler, and 10lbs or so with a csl/mini battery. dropping 40lbs off the rear of a 3400lb car isnt going to throw off any dynamics.

04 IR/IR 6spd
sold =(
Jump to top opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 01:55:53 AM   #15
Dizzeep
Blue Dreamin 24/7

In the garage:

India

Quote:
not so much.. you arent dropping anywhere near that much weight. you might drop 25 or so lbs with an aftermarket muffler, and 10lbs or so with a csl/mini battery. dropping 40lbs off the rear of a 3400lb car isnt going to throw off any dynamics.
Opey brings up a good point.
Jump to top Dizzeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 03:50:38 AM   #16
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzeep View Post
Opey brings up a good point.
Thats where corner balancing plays its part
But what I see daily are typical German car colors; blacks, silvers, grays and whites. They look nice, I agree, but to me the appeal is what the M cars were in the 1980s an event. Its not so much that I want to be noticed, but more that I want to stand apart from the crowd. And to me, Phoenix Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue are two of the best ways to differentiate your M3 experience from the norm.
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 05:13:22 AM   #17
16V-Dub

In the garage:

United States

Idk if this really is worth the effort or not. Think getting an aftermarket muffler makes a lot more sense, even like a topspeed or something cheap. At least you'd always have a good stock muffler to put back on.
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 05:35:18 AM   #18
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16V-Dub View Post
Idk if this really is worth the effort or not. Think getting an aftermarket muffler makes a lot more sense, even like a topspeed or something cheap. At least you'd always have a good stock muffler to put back on.
I have a legit topspeed muffler (from topspeed, not ebay) and I miss the sound of the stock muffler to be honest. Ive heard other aftermarket M3 mufflers too, but nothing makes the M3 stand apart more than the pitched raspiness of the stock muffler. I like it and it would be nice to open it up a bit.
But what I see daily are typical German car colors; blacks, silvers, grays and whites. They look nice, I agree, but to me the appeal is what the M cars were in the 1980s an event. Its not so much that I want to be noticed, but more that I want to stand apart from the crowd. And to me, Phoenix Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue are two of the best ways to differentiate your M3 experience from the norm.
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 08:55:14 AM   #19
Heckafunctional
Do you even racecar bro?

United States

It's true.
Removing the fiberglass won't change anything.
My buddy removed the fiberglass from his oem g37 mufflers and it acutally got quieter
Jump to top Heckafunctional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2011, 11:52:06 AM   #20
lunky69

United States

hmmm that second video actually sounds great, I wonder how much I'd get charged to do this haha
Jump to top lunky69 is offline   Reply With Quote