BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jan-20-2011, 04:31:08 AM   #1
Sunnyside

In the garage:

United States

Default loss of power, do these throttle bodies look normal? ( PIC )

I posted about my 2001 e46 m3 with 93k getting sacked by a massive power loss ( with no check engine lights )

Here's a picture of my throttle bodies, does anything look strange or out of place? why are 4 of the 6 visually darker / dirtier? Should I clean them?

Here's what the mechanic said:

"Tomorrow we are going to try a reinstall of the original (stock) DME software to see if the system works properly. We are obtaining the voltage reading for the EDK motor assembly to see if it is a EDK motor, wiring harness or terminal issue."

So far have replaced air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, checked exhaust back pressure, VANOS test, compression test...

DAMN U POWER LOSS, I WILL DEFEAT YOU!
Jump to top Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-20-2011, 01:01:39 PM   #2
Ramp1

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: loss of power, do these throttle bodies look normal? ( PIC )

I would clean them but more importantly, why is there such a difference in them. It's not like is all the front or all the back...1 and 4 are clean and the rest are dirty. That leads me to think you have an issue with your intake valves closing properly...was the compression test even across all 6?

Keep us posted.
Jump to top Ramp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-20-2011, 01:09:44 PM   #3
apnea

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp1 View Post
I would clean them but more importantly, why is there such a difference in them. It's not like is all the front or all the back...1 and 4 are clean and the rest are dirty. That leads me to think you have an issue with your intake valves closing properly...was the compression test even across all 6?

Keep us posted.
Um, what he said. What did your mechanic think of what you just showed us?

2002 Jet black/Imola SMG

Supersprint X-pipe, S-pipe; Eisenmann race muffler; AFE intake; Bilstein PSS9's; SSR GT-3 wheels with Nitto NT05's

Tools I can loan: Bilstein spanner wrenches, Motive power bleeder, Peake code reader

Giving away: single Active Autowerke rear camber control arm for anyone who wants a spare. Active no longer makes or has parts for these.
Jump to top apnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-20-2011, 01:14:06 PM   #4
Simann
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Always check compression first when there is a power loss with no CEL.

Check fuel injectors and fuel filter.

Make sure throttles are able to be moved wide open, maybe one of the actuators motors is not articulating the full range (mechanical problem not seen by computer).
Jump to top Simann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-20-2011, 01:18:56 PM   #5
apnea

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simann View Post
Make sure throttles are able to be moved wide open, maybe one of the actuators motors is not articulating the full range (mechanical problem not seen by computer).
Is this something you could ascertain with passive activation (ie your finger)?

2002 Jet black/Imola SMG

Supersprint X-pipe, S-pipe; Eisenmann race muffler; AFE intake; Bilstein PSS9's; SSR GT-3 wheels with Nitto NT05's

Tools I can loan: Bilstein spanner wrenches, Motive power bleeder, Peake code reader

Giving away: single Active Autowerke rear camber control arm for anyone who wants a spare. Active no longer makes or has parts for these.
Jump to top apnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-20-2011, 01:57:29 PM   #6
ovrstr08

In the garage:

United States

That looks like oil residue to me have him chack crankcase vacum. you could have a failing oil seperator. I have never had our intake apart but if it were baffled or sectioned in a way it might keep the oil form getting to those throttle assy. just a thought.
Jump to top ovrstr08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-20-2011, 06:17:59 PM   #7
Sunnyside

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp1 View Post

Keep us posted.
we did do a compression test, all cylinders showing 160 across the board. ( thank jebus it wasn't a compression issue, i nearly **** my pants waiting for the results... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simann View Post
Always check compression first when there is a power loss with no CEL.

Check fuel injectors and fuel filter.

We did change out the fuel filter, I'm not sure if we've checked the fuel injectors. Here's the diagram he sent over, I think he's going to check all the values and hopefully pinpoint the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrstr08 View Post
That looks like oil residue to me have him chack crankcase vacum. you could have a failing oil seperator. I have never had our intake apart but if it were baffled or sectioned in a way it might keep the oil form getting to those throttle assy. just a thought.
I'll bring this to his attention. I definitely want to make sure I address any issues I find weather they be minor or major, I want my car running like new when I get it back.

Thanks for all the feedback, i'll keep you guys posted...
Jump to top Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-07-2011, 11:04:21 AM   #8
ovrstr08

In the garage:

United States

Did the shop fix your car?
Jump to top ovrstr08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-07-2011, 04:39:39 PM   #9
bvnmspt

Have you ever ran out of fuel? Is your fuel level correct on your gauge?

My guess is that your fuel pump is bad. If it can't maintain pressure of I believe 5 bars, you're going to lose power.

I ran out of fuel couple times since my fuel level gauge was off. When I ran out of fuel, my fuel pump got damaged since there wasn't any fuel to cool and lubricate it. When I filled the car back up, I notice that my car lost major power. I just replaced the sender unit, fuel pump, and the fuel filter. Everything is fine now. If I were you that's where I would start. The pump goes for $300, the sender unit goes for $70. Since you have 93K miles, the pump is most likely the culperit. There are DIYs online. It takes about 1 hour to do both.

Fuel pump DIY
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=fuel+pump+diy

Read the blurb about the fuel pump on Turner's website...
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=16142229684

I found that tischer bmw was the cheapest. I also changed my fuel sender unit since my fuel level gauge was off.

Jump to top bvnmspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 09:48:30 PM   #10
BMWM3180

United States

This is an OLD post ,Please Update results !

Have similar issues and would like to see what you Found . Thx
Jump to top BMWM3180 is offline   Reply With Quote