BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Oct-19-2008, 07:17:59 PM   #11
Chris(NJ)
Back home in Jersey

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
The timing of this couldn't have been better, although I wish I wouldv'e found it prior to being charged about $350 in diagonostic fees...........................
This post is definitely interesting. I too would write those symptoms off as something not related to the smg system. I've noticed my passenger door not always unlocking w/ the key, even after multiple attempts. It will take me to lock the door, then unlock it again. I just figured it was strange and havent though much about it. Now you have me wondering. I ordered 2 new relays last night. I'm going to change it out right away as preventative maintenance, and keep the other in the glove box, just in case.
2002 Topaz/Black M3-Slicktop-SMG: OEM CSL Bootlid, Mini-CSL Battery, TMS Pulleys, Stoptech SS Lines, Borla muffler & Midpipe, Hotchkis Sways, Eibach Springs, RE RSMs, PowerFlex Rtabs, PowerFlex Subframe Bushings, TMS Subframe Reinforcement, Blk Grills, Blk Side Gills, VCSL Center Console, Euro Front Bumper, Hamann Fog Ducts, ACS Lower Lip Spoiler, FUCY Rear Diffuser, LED Tail upgrade w/ outer ring mod, D/A street software, RPI Scoops, e92 m3 18" rims w/ PS2s
Jump to top Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Nov-14-2008, 02:46:10 PM   #12
m3 hal

United States

added some part numbers and placed the relay and overall system schematic pics inline

if someone knows the hood sensor part numbers that will pretty much complete the list of part numbers for the major components of the system
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-30-2008, 10:06:51 PM   #13
3rd_Collective

United States

I guess I'll add my issues with the SMG system. A few days ago I was on my way to work and noticed the car had a hard time taking off in 2nd. Felt like it was struggling similar to when you lag the engine in a manual. It was 20 degree whether so I attributed it to the outside temp. I drove a about 100 feet and the car starts sputtering and dies in the middle of the road.

I turn the car off and restart it but now the car is making all sorts of crazy noise and gear indicator is going all over the place; from 2 to 4 or 5. I just want to get it off the road so as not to block traffic. Whenever it went to 5 I shifted it down and it would go to 2 but then go back to 5 all on its own. All the while it sounds like the transmission or engine is about to explode. The smg light is on constant throughout the whole ordeal.

I finally get to a safe area and turn the car off. Waited 5 minutes and attempted to start the car again. Nothing, just smg light. I thought I heard the pump go off but it may have been just the fuel pump. I disconnect the battery for 20 minutes in hopes of a reset. Nothing, just smg light. I disconnect the batter again and wait 60 minutes. Nothing, just smg light. So I have the car towed to my house.

I came on here and found the SMG relay replacement troubleshooting guide and replaced it to no avail. I removed the battery and charged it still no success. I don't know what else I can do short of taking the car to an indy to fully diagnose the problem.

Here's a run down of the symptons:

1. Car stalled then died
2. SMG light constantly on
3. Car does not start or crank ( I think the fuel pump comes on tho)
4. Already replaced the salmon colored relay
5. Brake pedal is really hard
6. Whet through several key cycles which did not resolve the issue
7. I can move the shifter to the left and right but it still reads a 0 on the gear indicator

I did smell a burning odor (seemed electrical) on the day the issue first occured. I've combed over the forums several times to see if there's any other way I can reset the smg ecu besides a batter pull to no avail. I'm about ready to bite the bullet and take the car to a mechanic.
Old Tue, Jan-20-2009, 10:34:59 PM   #14
funkboy316
Banned

United States

revised part number for the hood switch

p/n: 61319119052

are there really two of these under the hood? I can only find one by the battery terminal on the passenger side.
Jump to top funkboy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-28-2009, 06:25:31 PM   #15
///KM3

United States

Here's a simple one that will make you feel stupid (happened to me and another friend w/SMG):

Issue: Engine off, ignition on; pressing the brake pedal as normal and the transmission won't go into neutral to start the car regardless of moving the shifter left.

Duuuh Solution: Press the brake pedal more firmly. If for whatever reason you've pumped your brakes with the engine off and pedal feel becomes firm, light brake pedal engagement won't register. You have to mash the brake pedal if this is the case. Up until then I had been used to lightly pressing the brake when I start my car.

My friend and I on separate occasions were like, "aah crap, SMG failed somehow" until we realized the stupidity of it all.

On a separate note, this thread needs to be stickied. After reading this thread and others I've bought a spare SMG relay that I keep in my glovebox

03 Steel Gray/Black SMG II
Engine HKS Super Hybrid Filter | HKS Super Fire Racing M40X Spark Plugs | Okada Projects Plasma Direct Ignition Coils | Bimmerworld Intake Elbow | OEM Euro Headers | OEM Euro Catpipe | Rogue Engineering El Diablo Ti | Active Autowerke Street Software
Suspension HKS Hipermax RS Coilovers | Turner Motorsport Sway Bars | OEM 2006 RTABs | Active Autowerke Rear Strut Tower Bar
Wheels Yokohama Advan RS Dark Gunmetal 19x8.5F +32 / 19x10R +20
Jump to top ///KM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-28-2009, 06:45:01 PM   #16
m3 hal

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkboy316 View Post
revised part number for the hood switch

p/n: 61319119052

are there really two of these under the hood? I can only find one by the battery terminal on the passenger side.
Thanks, adding the PN now. I will have to double check but I'm pretty sure there are 2 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
great thread
with as much help as I get from others on here I figure the least I can do is put a bunch of links together and consolidate the mass of disorganized information out there
Old Tue, Feb-24-2009, 09:17:48 PM   #17
m3 hal

United States

thanks for the compliments

be sure and add your comments if you see something that isn't covered or is incorrect/unclear
Old Tue, Feb-24-2009, 11:00:40 PM   #18
.333 snubnose

United States

good idea to keep an extra smg relay in the glovebox...
but if you find yourself in a jam and didn't buy an extra, there is one behind the glovebox...
part #2
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=25&hl=6

(don't know what effect, if any, this will have by disconnecting the air pump...but will work in an emergency if you need to get the car out of an intersection or off the highway)
Jump to top .333 snubnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-10-2009, 08:45:01 PM   #19
Gordon Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by .333 snubnose View Post
good idea to keep an extra smg relay in the glovebox...
but if you find yourself in a jam and didn't buy an extra, there is one behind the glovebox...
part #2
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=25&hl=6

(don't know what effect, if any, this will have by disconnecting the air pump...but will work in an emergency if you need to get the car out of an intersection or off the highway)
Wow, very interesting find. How exactly can you get to this relay (through the cabin or under the hood...)?
Jump to top Gordon Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-21-2009, 04:13:39 PM   #20
windy

Here's a new one for you all...

My mate's M3 sometimes 'misses' a gear and crunches it. He reckons it didn't do it for the first year of ownership, but has done it 4 or 5 times in the last 6 months. Says it's a different occasion each time - has happened to him on track twice (scary!), once as he was cruising along about 5 mins after starting it, and once with me in the car on the motorway. Same again, simply cruising along. Thing he was changing up to 6th. On track he reckons he never gets above 4th but can't remember what gear he was selecting when it crunched.

Any suggestions? It's out of warranty so I told him to avoid the dealers initially as they'll just replace the pump/box.

I checked the hydraulic fluid with him and it seems a little above the max marker...
Jump to top windy is offline   Reply With Quote