BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 06:37:38 PM   #11
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: extended warranty worth? For low miles M E46

We already gave you advice, follow it or don't. Why create a thread and then not heed the advice? Happens everyday on this forum and does my head in. $3,300 will take care of subframe, vanos and some other stuff like was already said. You don't need rod bearings done for a while.

Evolve-R · eVenturi · Euro Headers|Sect 1 · OE CSL · OM Scorza · D/A pullies/fan delete · TMS camber/subf plates
RE · Besian · AKG · AutoSolutions 30% · TMS front sway · GroundControl(Koni/Eibach) · Sportline 8S 18" PSS 245/275
Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530

Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · Eclipse 32430 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 10:29:20 PM   #12
Jbberlin

United States

Includes the benefits of rental reimbursement, trip interruption and emergency roadside assistance. Inmaddition, Powertrain provides coverage for the following component parts.

Engine
Gasoline engine all internally lubricated parts, including: pistons, piston rings, wrist
pins and bushings, connecting rods and rod, bearings, crankshaft and main bearings, camshaft, cam chains, cam bearings and cam cover, timing chain, gears, tensioner and guide, variable valve timing parts, rocker arms, shafts and bushings, rocker arm pivots,
adjustment screws, spring and tension controller, valves, valve seats, valve springs, valve spring retainers, valve guides, valve push rods, hydraulic valve lifters, oil pump,
oil pump drive, shaft and gears. Seals and gaskets.* Plus these non-internally lubricated parts: water pump, fuel pump, valve covers, oil pan, dipstick and tube, timing
belt, timing chain/belt cover, engine mounts, flywheel, ring gear, flex plate, harmonic balancer, belt tensioner and idler pulley(s), intake and exhaust manifolds.
Factory installed supercharger /turbocharger. Cylinder head, engine block and rotor housings.** Coolant, lubricants and oil filters.***

Transfer Case
All internally lubricated parts contained within the transfer case. Plus these noninternally
lubricated parts: electronic and vacuum engagement parts, four wheel drive automatic/
semi-automatic and manually operated hub assemblies. Seals and gaskets.* Transfer case housing.**Lubricants.***

PowertrainTransmission
Automatic transmission: all internally lubricated parts, including: bands, pump, pump housing, carrier assembly,planetary gears, drums, reaction shaft and governor, internal linkage, valve body, servo assemblies, vacuum modulator. Seals and gaskets.* Plus these
non-internally lubricated parts: torque converter, transmission mount(s), oil pan, dipstick and filler tube, vacuum modulator. Transmission case.** Fluids, lubricants and filter.***
gaskets.*

Drive Axle
All internally lubricated parts, including: bearings, gears, thrust washers and spacers,
limited slip posi-traction rear and front axle assemblies. Plus the following parts: axle shafts, axle bearings, constant velocity joints and boots, universal joints, center support bearing. Seals and gaskets.* Final drive housing.** Lubricants.***
Powertrain
* Seals and gaskets coverage does not apply if your vehicle’s
odometer reading is greater than 100,000 miles on the contract
date of sale.
** When damaged as a result of the failure of a covered internally
lubricated part.
***When required in connection with the repair of a covered part.
Jump to top Jbberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 10:32:16 PM   #13
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbberlin View Post
...... he pointed out one of the risks of low miles M3 like this is that you don't know if there are factory defects until you get into the 35 45k milage. ........
Sales pitch. The things that go wrong on these cars is well documented.

VANOS & subframe are theee biggest concerns. Rod bearings way down the road, nothing you should generally worry about until you get well over 100k miles. FWIW, chances are slim to none that it will happen before your warranty expires anyway. I can't think of anything else that would go wrong and be worth spending $3k on for a warranty on a car with 26k miles. I mean never say never, but the odds are very low.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 10:32:59 PM   #14
Jbberlin

United States

Not sure why so chippy, just sharing what I am weighing, in case anyone has thoughts on that... Thanks for the advice makes sense, and considering telling them I'll pass based on what your pointing out.
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 10:34:40 PM   #15
Jbberlin

United States

Thanks, that's helpful. I think it make sense to put that 3k in a maintenance fund on reflection, based on these comments.
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 12:04:26 AM   #16
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful. I think it make sense to put that 3k in a maintenance fund on reflection, based on these comments.
I think that is the right choice.

Oh RTAB's are the other thing that wears out, but is not expensive to fix. So find a place that can bullet proof your vanos. If you are lucky both tabs are still intact on your hub and you save $800 on a new hub. Then do the epoxy foam (actually just did it today to my car). Anybody can do this and you can buy 4 double cartridges at ECS for $310 and rent the gun from a forum member for $35. Take care of those 3 things and chances are good you still have money left over for a Tune from TTFS ;-)

FWIW, I bough a 33k mile 1.5 years ago, and did exactly that. No other issues, except that one of my tabs was broken. Never the less, I still did not spend more than $3k for all of it.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 06:37:22 AM   #17
flamelauncher11
E46 Fanatic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasieg View Post
I think that is the right choice.

Oh RTAB's are the other thing that wears out, but is not expensive to fix. So find a place that can bullet proof your vanos. If you are lucky both tabs are still intact on your hub and you save $800 on a new hub. Then do the epoxy foam (actually just did it today to my car). Anybody can do this and you can buy 4 double cartridges at ECS for $310 and rent the gun from a forum member for $35. Take care of those 3 things and chances are good you still have money left over for a Tune from TTFS ;-)

FWIW, I bough a 33k mile 1.5 years ago, and did exactly that. No other issues, except that one of my tabs was broken. Never the less, I still did not spend more than $3k for all of it.
+1

2011 550i ///M Sport
Alpine White|Oyster|Anthracite
2010 ///M6 SMG Coupe
Alpine White|Indianapolis Red|Carbon Fiber|Vorsteiner Spoiler|Euro SMG Software|Resonator Delete|Muffler Delete
2004 ///M3 SMG 'Vert
Alpine White|Cinnamon|Carbon Fiber Trim|CSL Style Diffuser|Fully Tuned by TTFS
Jump to top flamelauncher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 11:17:12 AM   #18
iconoclast

United States

Quote:
In my opinion the 3k is better spent on preventive maintenance and reconditioning than anything else at this point and the beauty of that is it will add a slight bit of resale value to your vehicle when you market it with subframe reinforcement, vanos protection, insp I & II and the like.
Jump to top iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 07:28:28 PM   #19
Sandeep1212

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
We already gave you advice, follow it or don't. Why create a thread and then not heed the advice? Happens everyday on this forum and does my head in. $3,300 will take care of subframe, vanos and some other stuff like was already said. You don't need rod bearings done for a while.
Whoa. Damn. Can he not want more opinions. he's 10 posts in lol.