BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 03:41:40 PM   #21
betrezra

United States

Default Re: Tracking Owner of Abandoned M3

I sold a car 6 yrs ago to a kid.
The kid did not register it in his name..... he left it (abandonded) in an apt complex pkg lot, then left town.

I got a registered letter from a towing company for $2500 in towing and storage for the car I sold for $1500 1 yr prior.

It became the property of the towing company after I told them I sold the car, and provided a BOS.

...... per above there is another route here... but depends on your laws....

Agreed... best to contact owner..... and work a deal with them direct if possible... if still in the states, not incarcerated, or not deceased.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 04:46:49 PM   #22
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
There's a lot of legitimate reasons to not have moved a vehicle in two years. I've done it myself MANY times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post
It depends on where you live. In a populated area like mine, every Joe and his cousin would stack cars 3-high in the front yard if you let them. That's why there are neighborhood rules. It eventually looks like sh*t. If you head 100 miles out to the woods, nobody cares. I'm guessing you live out a ways or it's in the garage.
FWIW - Work has a stated policy that long term parking is not allowed. Additionally, NYS law defines an abandoned vehicle as "a motor vehicle that has been left unattended on the property of another for more than 96 hours, if it was left without the permission of the owner."

Given both of these items my employer could have just had the car towed at which point law enforcement could take ownership of it.

Another interesting tid-bit I've discovered is that in NYS, if an abandoned car meets the following criteria,

1) has a wholesale value of $1,250 or less, and
2) is 10 or more model years old, and
3) has been abandoned for at least one month

they can just transfer the vehicle to a registered vehicle dismantler or itinerant vehicle collector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S54VAGE View Post
I don't remember where I heard this and it could have just been someone b.s.ing me so take it with a grain of salt: I heard that after leaving a vehicle parked on someone else's property for a certain amount of time it changes ownership to the owner of the property..

Even if true it's probably state specific. Will search webz and edit post if I find anything.

Good to hear that you're attempting to contact owner though.
It's been a few years so all of this might not be correct but, I was taking a class about estate planning back in college and we were discussing transfer of ownership after death. Apparently, if someone abandons a piece of property and you move in and take care of the place, pay the taxes, etc, after a period of time (10 years in RI) it automatically becomes yours. I can't think of the technical term for it but stuff like that does exist.
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 04:55:08 PM   #23
propchef
Toodle-oo Motherf**kers

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
itinerant vehicle collector.

Imma put that on my resume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllwaysLow View Post
x2 and some Chicago style pizza
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dom View Post
He's suffered enough.
Jump to top propchef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 05:40:37 PM   #24
kevinwilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post
It depends on where you live. In a populated area like mine, every Joe and his cousin would stack cars 3-high in the front yard if you let them. That's why there are neighborhood rules. It eventually looks like sh*t. If you head 100 miles out to the woods, nobody cares. I'm guessing you live out a ways or it's in the garage.

Right, I get what you are saying.

I mean- I have 3 e36 m3's in my driveway right now. None of them run at the moment. One has not run since I got it, which has been WELL over two years. And until about a year ago it had never moved, except when I had my roof redone and they needed to park the dumpster where it was.

It's on my property, so it's different. But in NY most people don't have that kind of room.

I gotta get rid of the shell in my driveway that is on blocks though. It's only been that way for two weeks, but I don't want to be "that guy".....
Jump to top kevinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 12:59:21 AM   #25
EY84002

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
Right, I get what you are saying.

I mean- I have 3 e36 m3's in my driveway right now. None of them run at the moment. One has not run since I got it, which has been WELL over two years. And until about a year ago it had never moved, except when I had my roof redone and they needed to park the dumpster where it was.

It's on my property, so it's different. But in NY most people don't have that kind of room.

I gotta get rid of the shell in my driveway that is on blocks though. It's only been that way for two weeks, but I don't want to be "that guy".....
Sounds like you might already be "that guy" As a neighbor, I'd give you a pass as long as they are M3's!!
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 01:19:27 AM   #26
liam821

United States

Good luck, OP. Keep us posted.
Jump to top liam821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 03:11:43 AM   #27
TomS2
BS Buster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
It's been a few years so all of this might not be correct but, I was taking a class about estate planning back in college and we were discussing transfer of ownership after death. Apparently, if someone abandons a piece of property and you move in and take care of the place, pay the taxes, etc, after a period of time (10 years in RI) it automatically becomes yours. I can't think of the technical term for it but stuff like that does exist.
Adverse possession.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.
Jump to top TomS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 01:36:35 PM   #28
NolliM3

United States

Keep at it OP...get this abandoned M3 for as little as possible...the owner lost interest in the car...we all are jealous.

1995 Alpine White...X-Brace, Fan delete, Cold Air Intake
Jump to top NolliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-31-2017, 08:29:51 PM   #29
DanK35

United States

Interested in hearing how this turns out as well. Love this kind of story, and it is somewhat local.

Good luck OP. Got any pics?
Jump to top DanK35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-01-2017, 01:16:43 AM   #30
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Small Update - Currently in a holding pattern; still have not heard from the owner, assuming security actually gave him my info.

Filed a title abstract request last week, DMV still has not cashed my check so well see if I get a rejection letter or they are just moving at a DMV pace.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. I'll be at that office in a few weeks. Will snap some then if I haven't already gotten the car.