BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 02:33:12 PM   #1
tripitz

United States

Default What else to replace while engine is out?

Hi all. Curious to see if I am missing anything while my engine and transmission are out of the car. Current list of planned fixes are as follows:
  • Z3 reinforced oil pickup tube (already did OPN fix)
  • Rear main seal
  • New flywheel, pilot bearing, and RMS
  • Inner transmission seal
  • Clutch
  • All other pivot points, arm, secondary cyclinder in transmission
  • Shift pin detents
  • AOS
  • M50 manifold conversion
  • Fuel pressure regulator (on OBD1 fuel rail)

Already did oil pump and valve cover gasket. Debating doing injectors? Should I do the idle control valve? What about sensors on the engine? Wait for those to fail? They were working at the time I crashed the original car.

I want to fix/replace as much as possible before it goes in to the car.
Jump to top tripitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 03:41:26 PM   #2
LuckyM301

United States

Default Re: What else to replace while engine is out?

i just did the same thing and i would do oil pan gasket, knock sensors(if they are cracked because you said they were okay but if cracked might as well if the manifolds off), oil filter housing gasket and new hose for that fuel pressure regulator
i did a head gasket job and did all the above mentioned but had to take the manifold off in the car cause the knock sensors and oil filter housing gasket was leaking/ throwing codes
Jump to top LuckyM301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 03:52:38 PM   #3
LuckyM301

United States

icv is usually fine to keep i didnt replace mine, however i am about to send my injectors to get cleaned since i am having trouble passing smog in CA with a random misfire so you might wanna do those while the engines out
Jump to top LuckyM301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 04:37:50 PM   #4
tripitz

United States

Okay cool. Definitely doing oil pan gasket (sucks because I replaced it last year, about 3k miles ago when I did OPN) as I want to be 100% sure it will not leak.

So knock sensors for sure? If I do the oil filter housing, should I just put in the Euro version so I can plumb in a cooler? Will also be changing all of the fuel lines to the hard line, including a new fuel filter. I already relocated the evap line to the rear bumper area.

Head gasket is fine on the car so I can at least skip that (will do when I do cams).
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 05:46:37 PM   #5
pat533i

In the garage:

United States

You have a good list so far, I did knock sensors on mine. Also all the heater/coolant hoses that are easily accessible, the rubber is getting pretty old at this point. Icv should be fine with just a cleaning. Selector shaft seal on the trans is very easy too.

If you can fit the oil housing in the budget, might as well. The original one has freeze plugs that sometimes leak.

You can really go on and on making a list, ask me how I know.
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 06:35:51 PM   #6
j0rdan J

In the garage:

United States

I think this thread sums it up.
I currently have my engine out. I decided to removed the control arms and press in new balljoints (It will never be this easy again). Changed all of the heater valve hoses (I actually changed every coolant hose).
Fuel injectors isn't much difference whether inside the car or not, but since the car is out of commission just get them rebuilt and cleaned anyway.
I also got new coolant temp sensor for the cylinder head, new oil pressure switch, new crankshaft position sensor, knock sensor, new vanos seals and oil pipe.

EDIT: Change the CCV while you are at it

Last edited by j0rdan J; Wed, Mar-15-2017 at 11:45:13 PM.
Jump to top j0rdan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 07:17:50 PM   #7
tripitz

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0rdan J View Post
I think this thread sums it up.
I currently have my engine out. I decided to removed the control arms and press in new balljoints (It will never be this easy again). Changed all of the heater valve hoses (I actually changed every coolant hose).
Fuel injectors isn't much difference whether inside the car or not, but since the car is out of commission just get them rebuilt and cleaned anyway.
I also got new coolant temp sensor for the cylinder head, new oil pressure switch, new crankshaft position sensor, knock sensor, new vanos seals and oil pipe.
Vanos was rebuilt before the wreck, along with guide chains, new chain, and new tensioners. OPN was also done. I will definitely change the pickup tube with the reinforced one.

So coolant tempt, oil pressure switch, and crank position sensor along with knock sensors? This is getting pricey. LOL. The big question is whether I should just go OBD1 then for chassis compatibility if I am going to do these changes. I am putting all of my M3 parts in a 94 chassis. The consensus was to stick with OBD2 and do the wiring conversion so that I get the improved diagnostics/tenability of OBD2. I have to make up my mind quickly.
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 07:58:56 PM   #8
NolliM3

United States

Did you the oil pan baffle when you did the OPN?

1995 Alpine White...X-Brace, Fan delete, Cold Air Intake
Jump to top NolliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-13-2017, 03:43:21 AM   #9
tripitz

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolliM3 View Post
Did you the oil pan baffle when you did the OPN?
Yes! All done thankfully. Just redid the RMS and working on the oil pump shaft. That one nut on the pickup tube is a bit of a pain...

Seriously reconsidering now going OBD1 conversion. Would make wiring so much easier...

Also, how important is that paper gasket from the RMS? I reused the original one since my "kit" did not come with one. I stupidly installed it reusing the original gasket.

Last edited by tripitz; Mon, Mar-13-2017 at 04:12:12 AM.