BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Mar-10-2017, 02:27:40 PM   #31
betrezra

United States

Default Re: E36 M3 as first car??

I daily drove a vert only car for 10 years as a young man.

I towed jet skiis, carried surboards, camping gear... etc...

The reward of good weather top down driving was worth it to me and my dates

The vert market seems a little softer than the hardtop.

Gl... get what you want... and what talks to you!!
Jump to top betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Mar-11-2017, 02:09:48 PM   #32
TomS2
BS Buster

In the garage:

United States

Query:
If an adult posts about the purchase of a car the board goes into every detail of the car, studies low resolution pictures to see if the panel gap is a mm off, demands service records, and the list goes on.

A kid posts about a car he is interested in at what seems like a fair to low price and he gets an enthusiastic yes or a no.

As for this thread - Kid, if you think you can handle the maintenance on a twenty year old German car, go for one. Maybe not this one. Find the right one and enjoy.

My kid gets her permit in a year, and I am looking for a manual, two door project. It may be an E36, E46, E82, Mustang, Celica, Cooper for something else that is around when the time comes. So, based on what I as a parent plan on doing, and what I did when I was younger than you (bought first car at 14, got license at 17 restored it during that time), follow your heart.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.
Jump to top TomS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-11-2017, 03:42:34 PM   #33
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamer123 View Post
First off, thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't consider myself one of those teens that's going to go blow money on slamming it or anything useless like that, i would spend my money on maintaining and the occasional upgrade. Based on a few of the responses I got from you guys, I have decided I am going to get an M3 soonish; gotta find the right deal.

Regarding my income. I am an amateur web developer which surprisingly makes me quite a lot of money. I also work as much as I can at a local restaurant where I make good money, I also do their website. I dont think I'll have much of a problem with repairs as long as I do them myself, or with my dad.

Another question, what do you guys think about e36 m3 convertibles? A decent amount of the listings I saw for convertibles had broken motors and could only go down manually. How common is this?

Thanks again for all the help.

-James
The thing you've noticed about convertibles is the reason why I would avoid them. Others have covered the balance of top-down fun vs the practicality you loose. As a young guy with somewhat limited income, I'd be worried about the top breaking, ripping, etc. It's not an easy or cheap repair when this happens.

The first E36 M3 I ever drove was a convertible. I was slightly underwhelmed by the acceleration. The handling felt nice to me until I drove some coupes and sedans. The vert carries around a LOT more weight and it's a lot less rigid. You can absolutely feel the difference.

Performance isn't everything. Tight handling isn't everything. Trunk space sin't everything. Rear seat room isn't everything. Less issues to worry about isn't everything, but it's nice. However, IMO when you add all that stuff up, it makes for a hard case to choose a vert as your only car.

My opinion (only an opinion) is that you should stick with a coupe or sedan. Sedans are pretty sweet, as your friend's don't have to crawl past a pair of vaders to get back there. And there's something pretty cool about a 4 door M3.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 07:42:23 AM   #34
SQ13

United States

IMO, only you know how mature you are, and only you know how you might drive the car. When I got my car, I told myself I wouldn't do anything stupid. But I ended up speeding excessively and, admittedly, did some other reckless things. Luckily I never got in a collision. I guess one good thing I did was that I never raced people. Always thought street racing was dumb.

My advice would be 1) get a PPI and 2) track the car. I never got a PPI when I got my car, and it ended up costing me (I see it as both a good and bad thing now. YMMV). I suggest taking the car to a track because I'm hoping it'll make you realize that street driving is boring, and as a result you just won't do sketchy stuff in public. Plus you'll learn both your and your car's limits.

Before tracking I would speed excessively and do stupid things like 100 MPH runs. Now all I do is up to 5 MPH over, occasional spirited acceleration up to speed limit, and maybe take turns/long sweepers at higher than normal speeds (but still within my and my car's limits). Everything else is boring, seems unsafe, and/or just not worth it to me. I'd rather spend my money on maintenance, not tickets. I'd rather not crash and potentially hurt others who just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Although driving on twisty roads is fun, the desire to speed excessively and the high potential of crashing is just not worth it to me; did it once and won't ever again. The list goes on and on. If you're set on an M3, go for it, but I'm hoping you keep these in mind.

Just some advice from one young bro to another. Take it as you will.
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 07:19:29 PM   #35
TomS2
BS Buster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
My opinion (only an opinion) is that you should stick with a coupe or sedan. Sedans are pretty sweet, as your friend's don't have to crawl past a pair of vaders to get back there. And there's something pretty cool about a 4 door M3.
That's exactly why a young person should buy a coupe and not a sedan. Most accidents with young drivers are from distraction. The less comfortable it is for someone to get into the back, the more likely they are to jump in someone else's car. Unfortunately "affordable" sports coupes like the RX-7, Z, etc are no longer affordable or no longer made.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.
Jump to top TomS2 is offline   Reply With Quote