BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Mar-10-2017, 02:59:02 AM   #931
Goingfast

United States

Default Re: SMG troubleshooting FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenakedflyer View Post
Nobody got any ideas? Seems like a lot of the m3 forums are getting really quiet now.. :-/
In heavy traffic, my SMG just shuts off - 1.5 hrs of NYC traffic with stop and go every 5 seconds. The SMG in my buddy Ferrari behaves the same way in heavy traffic. I avoid traffic as much as I can when I drive my M3. Good luck!
Jump to top Goingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Apr-23-2017, 07:11:28 PM   #932
IronJoe

In the garage:

United States

Hi all, thanks for all the great info in this thread. I'm trying to troubleshoot my new-to-me 2002 Topaz Blue M3 which I purchased with a known transmission issue.

When I bought the car, it would start but had no power (ended up having stuck throttle bodies which I fixed) and yellow cog light ON, but would occasionally still shift into gear. I bought it knowing I would be replacing some if not all SMG parts.

Now I replaced the salmon relay and have not been able to get the car started again. My question is: Can a bad SMG pump/other SMG issue cause a no-start condition?

At this point I am just trying to get the car started again. Here's what I've tried:
-Changed salmon relay
-Cleaned contacts at the SMG ecu and the DME
-Full charge at the battery/spare battery/jumped battery
-Tried spare key/valet key/plastic emergency key, held for 60 secs, etc
-Hood switches are working properly, brake pedal being applied firmly, etc

And here are the errors from INPA:
21: Hydraulic pump relay control (replaced relay, cleared error and it comes right back)
50: Selector angle cannot be regulated. So the gear identification switch is bad, I figured as much and am replacing it. But would this cause a no-start condition? The car is in 0/N so I don't see why it would.

The car also failed the bleeding procedure due to a lack of pump pressure (says there is zero pressure via INPA). But again - why would that keep the car from starting?

I can't hear the pump run as I unlock the car, but when I turn the key to "start" it I can hear the pump run. It shuts off as soon as I give up starting and move the key back to "run".

I've checked all the easy stuff. Can't figure out this no-start condition. Can anyone help? The car in question:
Jump to top IronJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-23-2017, 07:29:37 PM   #933
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

When my pump motor failed completely the car dropped into neutral with what residual pressure it still had, and the engine kept running. However, once I turned it off, it would no longer start. INPA reported zero pressure. So, yes, as you're also seeing zero pressure I suspect you'll be having the same issue.

Steve
Jump to top SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-23-2017, 08:45:01 PM   #934
brichter
Unregistered Abuser

In the garage:

United States

The system needs pressure to disengage the clutch and shift to neutral (if necessary) to engage the starter. If there's no pressure, the clutch can't be disengaged and the system will not actuate the starter. Make sense?
Old Sun, Apr-23-2017, 10:38:24 PM   #935
IronJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEvans View Post
When my pump motor failed completely the car dropped into neutral with what residual pressure it still had, and the engine kept running. However, once I turned it off, it would no longer start. INPA reported zero pressure. So, yes, as you're also seeing zero pressure I suspect you'll be having the same issue.

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter View Post
The system needs pressure to disengage the clutch and shift to neutral (if necessary) to engage the starter. If there's no pressure, the clutch can't be disengaged and the system will not actuate the starter. Make sense?
Thank you both, that makes perfect sense. It's just a curiosity as to why my car was able to start and go in and out of gear and suddenly cannot after changing the relay. Could be coincidence...

What is strange is that INPA error code 21 is still present, saying the hydraulic pump relay is bad. In any event, I purchased the car at a very low price due to its problems and figured worst-case it would need a SMG pump.
Old Sun, Apr-23-2017, 11:11:53 PM   #936
MIII4me

United States

To trouble shoot have you unplugged the clutch slave connector. If you unplug it and it starts at least it could be that.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Jump to top MIII4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-23-2017, 11:19:20 PM   #937
MIII4me

United States

Have you tried to unplug the clutch slave connector? I'm in the middle of changing my clutch and clutch slave cylinder. My 05 M3 smg had your same issue. Parked at Lowes the damn thing would start back up. But luckily it was already in neutral. I called a tow truck. I went home did some trouble shooting, unplugged my clutch slave cylinder connector. The car started, but clutch was burning and throw out bearing was screaming. My error code with inpa was 59 and also 21 but I think 21 was from me taking that out for the first cheap fix.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Jump to top MIII4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-23-2017, 11:35:59 PM   #938
brichter
Unregistered Abuser

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
Thank you both, that makes perfect sense. It's just a curiosity as to why my car was able to start and go in and out of gear and suddenly cannot after changing the relay. Could be coincidence...

What is strange is that INPA error code 21 is still present, saying the hydraulic pump relay is bad. In any event, I purchased the car at a very low price due to its problems and figured worst-case it would need a SMG pump.
Sending PM... time to test your relay and wiring to pump.
Old Mon, Apr-24-2017, 04:44:51 AM   #939
IronJoe

In the garage:

United States

Thank you all. This afternoon I pulled the PLCD sensor plug and tried to start the car, no change.

The car currently has no more pump sound, nor will it engage any gear. And all I've done is change the battery and the pump relay. I should mention that I pulled the SMG ecu and the terminals were corroded. I spent some time cleaning them up but the end result was the same.

It's very strange to me that it was running well just the other day after I had dislodged the stuck throttle bodies. Perhaps the pump went from "dying" to "dead". At this point I'm *assuming* the worst but will continue testing until I'm convinced otherwise.
Old Mon, Apr-24-2017, 05:23:09 PM   #940
IronJoe

In the garage:

United States

Update!

I've had a bit of success. I have been reading about the hydraulic pump (dreading its replacement cost of course) and started digging into how the pump is triggered to run. On a whim I decided to try jumping the relay and forcing the pump to run - bingo, it immediately built pressure and allowed me to shift the gears and start the car.

Of course, as I shift gears the pressure drops and will never build back up, because pump doesn't run by itself. I think what I may have here is either a wiring or sensor issue. I know the PO had this car on the charger/jumper battery many times before he replaced the alternator, maybe backfed voltage somewhere and blew the SMG ecu? There was a ton of corrosion on the terminals when I pulled it.. cleaned it up as much as I could.

Here's a quick video I made of the current issue. At least the pump works, I think?

Any troubleshooting advice at this point would be extremely helpful. Also does anyone have the pinout for the SMG ecu? I should also mention: the 40 amp fuse is not blown. Error code 21 (hydraulic pump relay control) is still present, every time I clear it.

Last edited by IronJoe; Mon, Apr-24-2017 at 06:20:54 PM.