BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Wed, Oct-30-2019, 08:06:24 PM   #1
tlarocque

United States

Default Toting track wheels with harness/roll bar...

Does anyone know of either a harness bar or roll bar that still allow you to cram an extra set of wheels inside the car when using fixed back seats?

I live in San Diego but like to do some track events in Arizona. About a 380 mile drive each way. I have been driving with stock seats but its time for proper seats/harnesses. Removed the rear seats and usually just throw 3 wheels across the where the bench was and one in the trunk. Don't really want to deal with a trailer.
2015 Touareg TDI
Jump to top tlarocque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Oct-30-2019, 09:24:00 PM   #2
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Toting track wheels with harness/roll bar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarocque View Post
Does anyone know of either a harness bar or roll bar that still allow you to cram an extra set of wheels inside the car when using fixed back seats?

I live in San Diego but like to do some track events in Arizona. About a 380 mile drive each way. I have been driving with stock seats but its time for proper seats/harnesses. Removed the rear seats and usually just throw 3 wheels across the where the bench was and one in the trunk. Don't really want to deal with a trailer.

If you have a rear strut bar or X braces then no. Otherwise I have seen some folks with a 4 point bolt in bar that load tires in from the trunk. Does not look fun tho. And they had one tire in the front seat.

Iíve seen alot of folks use roof rack and take it off on track. If i didnít have a trailer thatís what Iíd be doing. Or one of those small tire dolleys you tow behind the car.
[RIP] 2001 E46 M3, Tilton Triple Disc Clutch, JRZ RS2 (750/650), ST-40 332mm front BBK, BW TA16 Square 18x9.5, RE-71R 265/35R19, Redish Motorsport Plates, Mason X-Brace, Mason Front Strut Bar, RaceCapture Pro MK3 w/custom Raspberry Pi Dash.

Jump to top eacmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-30-2019, 09:27:18 PM   #3
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

I used to do that with my Kirk - really anything that doesn't have an X-Brace should be fine - I put two in the trunk and two where the rear seat used to be... it's a workout, though. Hands down, doing that multiple times motivated me to get a trailer
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-31-2019, 12:10:10 AM   #4
tlarocque

United States

I was looking at the Autopower roll bar and it looks do-able, albeit with some acrobatics to get the wheels in and out. They appear to have an option which allows the cross bar to be bolted in and out pretty easily.

I thought about a roof rack but don't love the idea of going 90mph across the desert with that much mass and surface area up there. Same issue with a tire dolly/trailer.. they don't seem well-suited for sustained highway cruising at speed.

I may just have to give it a try and do it as long as I can stomach.

Thanks for the replies.
2015 Touareg TDI
Jump to top tlarocque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-31-2019, 12:29:55 PM   #5
mrRed

In the garage:

United States

Get the Brey Krause slider for the passenger seat. It let me scoot the seat far enough forward that I was able to fit 1 265 35/18 Falken Azenis between the kirk roll bar and the seat (really tight fit) and 3 of the same in the trunk with enough room still for a tool kit, jack, and weekend bag. It's definitely a bit of tetris to get the 3 in the rear, but it worked.
Jump to top mrRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-31-2019, 12:54:03 PM   #6
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Not a harness bar, per se, but the Brey Krause R-1246 rear deck harness mount certainly does not impede putting tires in the back seat.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-31-2019, 03:56:11 PM   #7
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Not a harness bar, per se, but the Brey Krause R-1246 rear deck harness mount certainly does not impede putting tires in the back seat.

FWIW All of the clubs Iíve run with would not allow 4/5/6 pt harnesses without a roll bar. The only exception is the Schroth Quick Fits and if you did use them it had to be with factory seats.
[RIP] 2001 E46 M3, Tilton Triple Disc Clutch, JRZ RS2 (750/650), ST-40 332mm front BBK, BW TA16 Square 18x9.5, RE-71R 265/35R19, Redish Motorsport Plates, Mason X-Brace, Mason Front Strut Bar, RaceCapture Pro MK3 w/custom Raspberry Pi Dash.

Old Thu, Oct-31-2019, 04:14:47 PM   #8
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
FWIW All of the clubs I’ve run with would not allow 4/5/6 pt harnesses without a roll bar. The only exception is the Schroth Quick Fits and if you did use them it had to be with factory seats.
I've done CCA and PCA events with this with no complaints.

Link to the rule you're referring to?

FYI there is one seat other than stock that's been approved for use with the QuickFits-- the seats I'm running (Cobra Nogaros).

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-31-2019, 05:10:47 PM   #9
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I've done CCA and PCA events with this with no complaints.

Link to the rule you're referring to?

FYI there is one seat other than stock that's been approved for use with the QuickFits-- the seats I'm running (Cobra Nogaros).

http://www.tarheelbmwcca.org/BMW_CCA...Rules_2012.pdf

While #8 is only a recommendation Iíve seen it enforced at onsite tech. Iíve even had my quick fits fail tech even when the written rules allow them.

If youíre solo itís generally not enforced. But most instructors donít like harnesses without roll bar. Iíve even seen an instructor refuse to get in a car because the roll bar was a bolt in one.

Again every club is different but thatís been my experience in the DMV area.

Old Thu, Oct-31-2019, 05:18:15 PM   #10
Quickquickslow

United States

you could go bananas like my friend did (his is the yellow TT in the pic). Looks nuts when it's on but it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg andrew tire hauler.jpg (302.1 KB, 25 views)
Jump to top Quickquickslow is offline   Reply With Quote