BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Wed, May-03-2017, 06:40:08 PM   #51
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Default Re: CrookedCommie's Track/Street Build

March update, I got back from Road Atlanta and immediately started working to prep the car for Mid Ohio at the end of April

First things first - get the front shocks with the stuck adjusters out to True Choice so they could take a look. I ended up getting them back a week before Mid-Ohio. The cause? Rusty adjuster. They cleaned them up and put some anti-seize on them.

Got some new O2 sensors and a new throttle position sensor.

Next up was replacing the O2 sensor. No easy task, I simply could not get the front one off the header.

MAPP gas (burns hotter) and a pipe wrench, just not enough room to get it out:

I ended up removing the headers, and finding some of the previous owner's fine work. Super splice job on the O2 sensor, and a missing stud on the front header you could see how it was leaking on the old gasket.

Got the headers out, put the offending one in a vice grip, heated up, pipe wrench, and BLAM. Sheared the whole sensor off. At this point I drilled out what was left and took it to a machine shop so they could retap it.

Put the headers back together, but not before retapping the stud where previous owner had only put 2/3 on.

Shocks back on, car prepped, alignment done, and I was at Mid-Ohio with these two idiots for the Friday lapping day.

Then Saturday it monsoon'ed. If you haven't been to Mid-Ohio in the rain it's... interesting. Best thing to do is go back to the hotel after all chances of a dry track materialize and start relaxing.

Car was running well with no codes so it looks like the O2 sensors and new throttle sensor fixed the issue. Still working on figuring out the compression and rebound on the shocks.

Back from Mid-Ohio, just installed the CSF oil cooler. Liqui Moly is getting sent off to Blackstone again for a report - 6 track days 3.5k miles.

Last edited by CrookedCommie; Thu, Apr-26-2018 at 03:53:34 AM.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 02:31:48 PM   #52
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Nothing new ahead of this weekend's track event, will be testing oil temps and reporting back. Supposed to be in the high 70's, low 80's.

Got another Blackstone oil report - this time I ran it for 6 track days. It looks like I should try at least 10 track days on the oil, if not more. Not sure why the lead is still high, any ideas?*
*The rod bearings have 7k miles on them.

Last edited by CrookedCommie; Thu, Jul-06-2017 at 06:43:38 PM.
Old Fri, May-26-2017, 07:32:09 PM   #53
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Back at Mid-Ohio last weekend, oil cooler did well. I would estimate 20-30F lower. Coolant is still dead middle.

I put in a new oil separator, but still noticed a bit of oil consumption between each track day. Ordered a Mishimoto compact catch can (amazon), some 3/8NPT to 10AN fittings, 10AN push lock hose fittings, 10AN push lock hose, and some oetiker clamps (jegs). Reused the stock fittings and mounted the catch can like this to the firewall using the bracket and some self-drilling screws. Going to test this at the track in two weeks, will report back on how it works. Total cost was under $150.

Last edited by CrookedCommie; Thu, Jul-06-2017 at 06:45:14 PM.
Old Mon, Jun-12-2017, 04:36:02 PM   #54
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Back from Mid-Ohio again this weekend. Hot sunny weather, so no PB's, but lots of fast cars in A group made for an exciting weekend.

I must have boiled the Motul 600 on Friday - dove in hard at the back brake zone, then had to go very deep into it due to traffic ahead of me. My mistake, but the pedal just wouldn't come back. Caliper temps went from 380F to 420F during the overheat. I thought it was the pads (PFC 08's) as both the fronts and rears were getting low, so I did a pad change to a used set of DTC-60's and switched out the front rotors. Pedal didn't come back, so missed another session bleeding all four corners with fresh Motul 600.

I'm moving to Castrol SRF, as I still don't like the pedal feel. Modulating the DTC-60's is even harder because the pedal still feels soft. I can get into the ABS in T2 brake zone if I'm not careful, which is very puckery.

I had the chance to check out the RTD shifter in an E36 track car paddocked next to me, and I think I will be switching to that from my AKG Quick shift very soon. I'm having to slow shift 4-5 to make sure I get over, and my 5-4 and 4-3 shifts are iffy. The self centering RTD lets you slam the downshifts reliably.

The catch can worked well, I highly recommend installing one. Between that and the new oil separator, I only had to top of the oil at the beginning of the weekend.

Last edited by CrookedCommie; Thu, Jul-06-2017 at 06:41:22 PM.
Old Mon, Jun-12-2017, 05:26:54 PM   #55
Ridgey

United States

Nice work so far. That oil cooler is beautiful.
Jump to top Ridgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 06:17:55 PM   #56
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Grabbed an Ecliptech Shift P2 light. Very easy to install. Splice to obd - red cable to 1st pin, black to 4th pin, blue to 9th pin. Mount with velcro tape. Turn on car, run through install to set rpm begin, rpm end, change RPM pulse from 4 to 3, and done.

The lights will flash red at rpm end - I set it to 8000 to not hit the 8200 fuel cutoff. Might move it to 8100 and see how that works. It's pretty visible so you don't have to be looking at the dash to know when to shift.

Last edited by CrookedCommie; Thu, Jul-06-2017 at 06:41:46 PM.
Old Fri, Jul-28-2017, 09:20:07 PM   #57
pat-b

United States

cool shift light added. better than the oem cluster one for sure
Jump to top pat-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-21-2017, 02:57:05 PM   #58
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Installed a RTD Shifter. Much better than the AKG, if I had known I would have ordered the RTD to begin with. The self centering spring helps keep you in the 3-4 gate, and the 4-5 feels much more confident, as does the 5-4 downshift.

I switched to Castrol SRF after boiling the Motul 600. Brakes feel great now, BUT, I rode in an E46 M3 with a Brembo bbk, and she could brake 100ft later than me. I think the AP Racing kit jumped to the top of my wishlist.

Ran the Friday lapping day with BMWCCA at Mid-Ohio. Temps were hot, put down a high 1:44 chasing this quick Vette.
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 01:22:40 PM   #59
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Did a lapping day at Putnam Park, outside of Indianapolis. Very fun track, you can push without having to worry about hitting walls, for the most part. Here's my fastest of the day, starting out with chasing a Turbo cabriolet. Pulls me way too hard on the straight

I had one issue - EML light came on coming out of a slow turn, and I had no throttle. Limped it back, restart, and it was fine. Did it twice more exiting the track and at a rest area on the highway. Both times restarting it managed to "fix" it. Pulled codes on INPA were:
107 Self test EGAS-actuator
230 EGAS-Nominal/actual-comparison

I already replaced the front TPS, I have the intake off and I'm replacing the one on the actuator, and I ordered a new gas pedal just in case. Looking at the values in INPA for actuator voltage and throttle position, everything looks like it's working correctly. Getting a max 4V at full throttle on the actuator. The actuator does whine, but everything looks like it's moving correctly on the ITBs.

Oh, and I found some more of the previous owner's great work:

Currently waiting on parts and trying to button up everything before I head out on Thursday for Mid-Ohio.
Old Mon, Sep-18-2017, 06:35:12 PM   #60
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Mid-Ohio this weekend. Beat my PB by two seconds, I got it down to a 1:42.4 - finally getting comfortable with the car. Here's a lap I put down (1:43.4) with some help sitting in the right seat. Working on getting early into throttle here, and entry into T1 and T12, and exit out of T7. We're thinking the car should have a low 1:41 in it, so the onus is now on the driver

On the way back home I hit EML limp mode twice again. So the TPS sensors weren't the issue. Next up is replacing the gas pedal. I'm also going crazy with the brake pedal - it's just soft mush all the way down, and the booster hisses. I ended up having to brake early all weekend which used up the PFC 08's at an alarming rate. I think I'm going to replace both the booster (with a used working unit) and put in a new TRW master cylinder.