BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Jan-28-2019, 08:38:25 PM   #11
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: JaredMV's M3 Touring Build

January 28, 2018:

Since the last update, there's been a couple mishaps and most of my car-wrenching time has been dedicated to the wagon vs the M3.

Back in December, I had gotten a flat on the way to a small get together about an hour away from home. At this point I learned that the emergency jack was not safe to use as it was bending, and I also learned how fast I can drive a mountain pass in the rain with a leaky tire. Long story short, I had to hit 3 gas stations on my way back to the bay area to keep my tire filled. Eventually I got a loaner tire put on while I refinish the Style 67s.

That same night, I installed the RE racebrace that I've been storing for over a year. FINALLY I have a car that will take the brace.

I have since replaced the emergency jack with one that I at least trust a little more.

Last Thursday I had a typical e46 moment. Since I personally have owned 3 e46's now, I know enough to watch the temp gauge more than usual. Wouldn't you know it, I started overheating in traffic (same freeway and same rush hour traffic as my first e46 ). I pulled over and got towed to a nearby neighborhood. My first thought was that the water pump exploded, but it had been replaced last summer. I had some distilled water in the car from the last time I filled the coolant overflow tank, so by the time the car got dropped off I was able to open the coolant cap and pour some in. It stayed at operating temp since then and hasn't gone over since, however there was a small coolant leak that I was unable to trace. When the engine was cool enough, I squeezed and jiggled the hoses and it hasn't leaked since...

What I think happened was there was an air bubble in the cooling system that interrupted the water pump. I'm pretty sure I had enough coolant because I know the coolant level light works, which is why I filled it up the first time. When the coolant got too hot, it over pressurized and started leaking out from the hose fittings but not enough to break them or pop them off. When I refilled the coolant after the overheat, I bled the system and it's been cooling properly ever since. Then after squeezing and jiggling hoses, I must have seated the fitting back to seal up the cooling system 'for good'. Since all of the M3 parts are going to get swapped over, I'm in full yolo mode - if it works then I'm not going to invest any money into it.

On Friday, I took my Style 67s to The Driveway in San Jose to get the tires dismounted. They have a tire machine that essentially nullifies the risk of scratching your wheels, so once I refinish these I'm going back to mount and road-force balance them before putting them on the wagon.

On Saturday, I went to Pick-n-Pull - the land of guys with masculinity issues and too much to prove . When I first bought the wagon, Tim said the brakes needed to be done. As stated previously, I'm in full yolo mode so I was able to find an e46 with a practically new set of OEM brake pads for all 4 calipers. I was able to increase the wagon's reliability for a whopping $16.

I also walked out of there with a homelink module!

It was finally time to put the M3 up on jacks to prepare for the teardown.

I also found a surprise! Good thing I wasn't going to run these on the wagon anyway.

And lastly, I went to a euro meet in Brisbane with a huge turnout! I and one other guy were the only e46 wagons that I could find and of course we parked next to each other.

On the plate this week is stripping paint, filling in curb rash, sanding, and eventually repainting the wheels. I'm actually going to take my time with these.

JaredMV's M3 Touring Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604213
Jump to top JaredMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-30-2019, 03:10:51 PM   #12
Steve M3

United States

Default Re: JaredMV's M3 Touring Build.

Poor M3 sitting on jackstands. If it only knew what was coming. The first few bolts are the hardest to pull off, after that everything is easy.
Jump to top Steve M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-30-2019, 03:45:21 PM   #13
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Poor M3 sitting on jackstands. If it only knew what was coming. The first few bolts are the hardest to pull off, after that everything is easy.
I'll let you know when I get there. To be honest, I'm excited to tear this car apart! As much as I miss driving the M3, I know it's ready for a ton of maintenance. So far this very quickly became the most expensive project I've ever worked on , but I just have to keep telling myself that the finished product should operate like it only has 10% of the miles the odo reads.

JaredMV's M3 Touring Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604213
Old Mon, Feb-11-2019, 06:45:00 AM   #14
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

February 10, 2019:

The weather forecast for this weekend showed a couple breaks in the abundance of rain we've been having recently. I took advantage of the clear weather on Saturday to set up my mobile garage, where all the magic will happen. It took about 3 hours to do solo, including the extra step of taping up the pipes for peace of mind.

The beginning, around 8:45am:

This is where the instructions say to get help from an assistant:

The complete frame:

Front door and back 'wall':

Starting from the rear and moving towards the front, I tapped each slip joint into place and wrapped it with electrical tape to keep them together:

All assembled:

After a trip to Costco and running power, this is the workshop as it stands:

Now that I have a sheltered work area, I'm going to start prepping the M3 for disassembly. I'm going to try and get the engine out first and get it on the stand. From there, I'll work on taking the interior apart and selling those. PM me if you want dibs on my black vert interior. I'll provide pics upon removal.

Old Mon, Feb-11-2019, 03:07:00 PM   #15
Steve M3

United States

Nice, that portable garage looks cool. I wish I could have done something like that but my HOA would have had a fit. Excited to see this one come together
Jump to top Steve M3 is online now   Reply With Quote