BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Wed, Oct-17-2018, 08:23:57 PM   #21
m13s

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Racing Schools

At the end of the day there is no shortage of people wanting to take your racing dollars. Beware of schools that do not have license sanctions, such as DE or driving experience.
Most of the racing schools that are sanctioned do a good job and have a solid product. Spend wisely on a school because your going to be spending a shitload more on racing.
Jump to top m13s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 09:26:00 PM   #22
getfast
road warrior

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m13s View Post
Try Bertil Roos. www.racenow.com

Once completing the school you do a two race series and it qualifies you for a NASA and SCCA license.
Probably true for S-club since they only require 1 or 2 schools to get a license but the NASA standard is higher - at least in this region. That is, you usually can't get a NASA license with just a few days of Bertil Roos or similar experience, you still need to do a NASA competition licensing school and probably some HPDE weekends beforehand as well.
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 09:28:44 PM   #23
getfast
road warrior

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
For clarification, NASA comp school does NOT require a cage either. Street cars are fine. The few guys I talked to this past weekend that were doing it, were having an absolute blast. They certainly seemed to have a lot of track time.
Must depend on region, all the NASA regions on this side of the country require logbooked racecars for the comp schools afaik... so those who pass can stay and race
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 10:17:36 PM   #24
m13s

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfast View Post
Probably true for S-club since they only require 1 or 2 schools to get a license but the NASA standard is higher - at least in this region. That is, you usually can't get a NASA license with just a few days of Bertil Roos or similar experience, you still need to do a NASA competition licensing school and probably some HPDE weekends beforehand as well.

From the website:
Successful completion of our 5-Day Road Racing School or 2-Day Advanced Road Racing School fulfills the requirements necessary to obtain your SCCA license (pending approval of recommendation by the Chief Instructor). The schools are offered at the following locations: Pocono International Raceway, Roebling Road Raceway, Dominion Raceway, Palm Beach International Raceway, Lime Rock Park and New Jersey Motorsports Park.

They used to have NASA sanctioning as well, not sure why it is no longer the case. I know NASA and the SCCA have agreements in place to honor each other's licenses with the only difference being an EKG from NASA that is required and not for the SCCA. There may be others as well but that is what I remember from both of my applications a few years ago.

Don't know the specifics of NASA licensing but the 2 day advanced (Roos) s not something I would call a couple of days at school. After completing a school and then having to do another one is nothing short of a money grab. (See my previous post of no shortage of people wanting your racing dollars.)

HPDE's are as it relates to a racing is not really worth much in my book as it is a different format. Anyone coming from HPDE's to a racing school will need to get reprogrammed into the racing path. It's great to know line theory and apex's, vision and all that but lets face it most 'advanced' HPDE students are not that advanced in driving technique. They have time in grade and move up based on a format that is not standardized across all the HPDE event organizers. I have spoken to some industry people about this and hopefully with the likes of the MSF coming on line for instructors there also will be a standard for HPDE groups as well. Sure BMW/PCA/Audi and others have great programs and great results but on a whole it is a shitshow out there as competing clubs make their own rules. Not saying HPDE's don't have value, they do. When it comes to racing it is a different ballgame.

Either way go to a good school, enjoy it then go w2w. that is what it is all about anyway. Once you do that you will have tasted the best drug on the planet.
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 10:50:24 PM   #25
getfast
road warrior

United States

It's no longer the case probably because it's simply not equivalent to the amount of experience and learning required to gain a competition license just through NASA. They subscribe to the "learn to drive fast, then learn to race" approach of climbing a HPDE ladder first - same as PCA and BMW CCA.
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 11:09:10 PM   #26
m13s

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfast View Post
It's no longer the case probably because it's simply not equivalent to the amount of experience and learning required to gain a competition license just through NASA. They subscribe to the "learn to drive fast, then learn to race" approach of climbing a HPDE ladder first - same as PCA and BMW CCA.
Don't want to get into a pissing contest but I think a formula car school is light-years ahead of cage car schools. Proper race car and all that. The schools also have to pay a fee to the sanctioning body's well. So that may be a factor as well. Roos has been doing it for 45 years so they are doing something right.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 11:15:10 PM   #27
getfast
road warrior

United States

No pissing contest here. All good, to each his own

I got my license years ago via the "30+ days of HPDE then a club level comp school in a rental on the Friday before a rookie race weekend" way and believe in that way. I have never done a formula type school so I can't compare.

ps- definitely nothing against Roos, I know several guys who have done their programs at my home track and reviews were all favorable
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 11:52:36 PM   #28
m13s

In the garage:

United States

All Cool getfast! I know how these things can get out of hand so wanted to set the tone and thanks to you for being on point and informative.

As you can tell I am a Roos fan. Where is your home track?

Either way you get on track and that is what counts.