BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Oct-09-2019, 06:12:07 PM   #41
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: *welp* We had a bad day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
Right now our plan is to buy rolling chassis and build a fully caged car from the ground up. Got a line on two chassis that look good. Sucks that we'll have to do all the subframe stuff again. But looking at full race prepped caged M3s are generally 35-45k, I am confident that I can do the build for less than that.

You canít build a race car for less $40k.

Keep track of your receipts and prove me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 2019 NASA National TT3 Champion; 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS 2W NR, Hyperco 700F 800R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Oct-09-2019, 06:14:51 PM   #42
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post

Even with a donor car that is mostly intact?
[RIP] 2001 E46 M3, Tilton Triple Disc Clutch, JRZ RS2 (750/650), ST-40 332mm front BBK, BW TA16 Square 18x9.5, RE-71R 265/35R19, Redish Motorsport Plates, Mason X-Brace, Mason Front Strut Bar, RaceCapture Pro MK3 w/custom Raspberry Pi Dash.

Jump to top eacmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-09-2019, 06:38:54 PM   #43
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

But you can buy one for less than that...

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been accomplished. Repairs and maintenance are simply dissembling parts and reassembling them." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-09-2019, 08:16:08 PM   #44
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
Even with a donor car that is mostly intact?

We got a free E36. Weíre at $12k with no cage or seats and car has never turned lap. I expect an E46 to be double easily. It adds up.

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS 2W NR, Hyperco 700F 800R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

Old Wed, Oct-09-2019, 08:17:25 PM   #45
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
But you can buy one for less than that...

You can. Building always costs more.

Old Wed, Oct-09-2019, 08:22:49 PM   #46
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
You can. Building always costs more.

On that note, what's your asking price?

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been accomplished. Repairs and maintenance are simply dissembling parts and reassembling them." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-09-2019, 08:26:11 PM   #47
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

IDK in this case-- all he needs is a shell and some cooling bits, beyond the car he already owns.

Building also gives you a known entity. I bought a premade race car and it was years of finding weird things the PO had done before it was a bit reliable.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-09-2019, 09:34:54 PM   #48
cozmo kraemer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
You were offering your car for $5.5k with all those mods?
Of course not. Stock roller, engine with spun bearing (but engine and trans in the car), stock suspension (60k miles), stock wheels, stock interior (SUPER nice interior...less than 60k miles). Car would retain the 3.91 rear end.... I had two people interested. One serious offer, but $5500 was as low as I would go, and they wouldn't meet me.

I figure I'll have about $6000 into rebuilding it with the new engine...and be able to sell the stock car around $15k. Probably get about $2k out of parting the old engine. So there was considerable meat on the bone at $5500.
2004 E46M3 - Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, Swaintech coated SSV1 Headers/SS catted/resonated section 1, TTFS tune, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, BBS RGR, BMW Motorsport 3.91

2016 - 340i Msport, MPPSK, and track handling package

My Journal
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-09-2019, 10:05:59 PM   #49
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
IDK in this case-- all he needs is a shell and some cooling bits, beyond the car he already owns.

Building also gives you a known entity. I bought a premade race car and it was years of finding weird things the PO had done before it was a bit reliable.

Yeah I'm not trying to build a full race car for w2w racing, just a safe caged DE car.

I know my drivetrain is solid. Already did VANOS, hubs, guide, bearings, gaskets, seals, water pump, thermostat.

The parts I think I'll need (depending on what the rolling chassis already has):
- oil cooler and lines ( FCP warranty claim)
- steering rack and tie rods and lines
- front control arms (FCP warranty claim)
- new JRZ rs2 front struts (maybe)
- belly pan
- front wheel hubs
- front end links
- wheel studs
- headlights

New stuff needed to buy for the caged car:
- seats / mounts
- harnesses
- qd wheel
- nets
- fire supression
- coolshirt

I'm sure that list is incomplete, but I think that's the big ticket items. Majority of the cost will be in labor I think, since I cannot take on a job this big myself.

But honestly haven't had a chance to evaluate what is beyond repair.
[RIP] 2001 E46 M3, Tilton Triple Disc Clutch, JRZ RS2 (750/650), ST-40 332mm front BBK, BW TA16 Square 18x9.5, RE-71R 265/35R19, Redish Motorsport Plates, Mason X-Brace, Mason Front Strut Bar, RaceCapture Pro MK3 w/custom Raspberry Pi Dash.

Old Tue, Oct-15-2019, 09:41:54 PM   #50
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

So after consideration we've decided to buy a new car versus doing a build or swap.

Now what we need to figure out is if its worth trying to sell the whole car as a roller w/drivetrain or trying to part it out?

What I would want to take off the car and put on new car:
- rear mason X Brace
- wheels
- ST40 front BBK

The rest would be left on the car and sold as a whole or be parted out
- engine/tranny/diff/tilton triple disc clutch - engine had VANOS rebuilt by MisterEm and new OE rod bearings 94k miles
- rear suspension (turner camber arms, JRZ RS2 dampers, hyperco springs, GC weight jack
- front camber plates (GC race) rest of front suspension is trash
- CSF radiator (might be damaged)
- front control arms (FCP euro warranty)
- oil cooler (FCP euro warranty)
- AC condensor (FCP euro warranty)

The rest is likely not worth parting out.

Any opinions on parting out versus selling the whole thing as a "running roller"?