BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Oct-11-2019, 02:47:33 PM   #91
Cubieman

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: DIY Wrenchers Unite

Use a piece of cardboard with holes punched through to hold bolts that need go in the same hole they came out of. Use a sharpie to number and/or create a rough top view scetch of whatever part your working on, whatever helps you remember.
Jump to top Cubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Oct-16-2019, 01:42:17 AM   #92
Blaikenstein

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaTree View Post
Blaikenstein, you may need a bigger jack; but bigger balls, not a chance! I'm impressed with that lumber stack! lol!!

BlAikenstein Household Rules for all activities (wife approved):

1: be safe
2: have fun
3: donít die
Jump to top Blaikenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-16-2019, 01:46:38 AM   #93
Blaikenstein

In the garage:

United States

RACP dust can suck my a$$. Respirator, science googles with shooting glasses and a stout camping lamp to light the way.

Old Wed, Oct-16-2019, 01:46:49 AM   #94
Aeko

In the garage:

United States

If you're trimming zip ties, there's no better finish than using fingernail clippers. I've tried flush cutters, scissors, etc, and nail clippers don't leave any sharp edges at all. Your hands will thank you in the future when you don't get them cut on razor sharp zip ties in dark cramped spaces!

If you wanna make REAL donuts, run Crisco in your diff.
Jump to top Aeko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-16-2019, 01:49:48 AM   #95
Blaikenstein

In the garage:

United States

Using these glove fingers to seal up fuel lines.

Old Wed, Oct-16-2019, 02:45:26 AM   #96
kjchristopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeko View Post
If you're trimming zip ties, there's no better finish than using fingernail clippers. I've tried flush cutters, scissors, etc, and nail clippers don't leave any sharp edges at all. Your hands will thank you in the future when you don't get them cut on razor sharp zip ties in dark cramped spaces!
Can't see how clippers are easier than a $3.50 pair of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/micro-...ter-90708.html

I also have these, which are marginally better: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jump to top kjchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-16-2019, 12:11:31 PM   #97
pbonsalb

If the fingernail cutters give a slightly rounded cut, then tie end might be less sharp. More front clearance required, though.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-16-2019, 01:37:44 PM   #98
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Wales

If there's access, a sharp razor blade or utility knife will also give flush cuts on zip ties with no sharp ends.
Jump to top elbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-16-2019, 05:21:10 PM   #99
JohnVu

In the garage:

United States

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread... I have now found many more things to purchase for my garage LOL.

I have been working on cars as a hobby for quite some time now. I would say after purchasing my E46M3, I have gotten much more involved and confident in tackling extremely labor intensive jobs i.e. VANOS and Subframe w/ Vincebar. Here are some of the things that I found to be the best tools around the garage:

1. Electric 3/8" Ratchet HF - By far one of the best purchases I have ever made. This made the VANOS Bullet Proofing SO MUCH FASTER. Buy the two year warranty for $16, then swap out at two year mark and re-buy the warranty again for $16. You can do this every two years and never have to worry about the ratchet breaking!

2. Quickjack System - This was already covered but man this system is so convenient! used to drive up on race ramps, then jack the front, then the rear. It would take about 15 or so minutes to get the car up and another 15 to get it down. Now, everything just lifts at the press of a button and the car is up in just a few minutes!

3. Maintenance Tracker List - This is more of an OCD thing but I started to track the maintenance after I got my M3. They car came with all of the work records from the previous owner but he never did any of his own work so it was traceable via receipts. I wanted to keep the trace-ability going so I created a word document that I can quickly update with any work I do. In the event I ever have to sell the car, I will be able to produce this document and it should help with the sale. This also is a good reference so I know what parts I bought from FCP Euro for lifetime replacement =D.

4. Creeper from HF - This makes getting under and around the underside of the car so much easier. I also love the little storage trays on the side so I can put whatever tools and nuts and bolts in their while I am working.

Keep this thread going! So much awesome info here! Let me know if anyone wants to see my maintenance
Jump to top JohnVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-16-2019, 05:43:43 PM   #100
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeko View Post
I actually have one of these, which is much better than any diagonal cutters, fingernail clippers, etc.

https://www.electriduct.com/Ergonomi...cessories.html

You can preload the tension it pulls the zip tie to, before it cuts. Its really handy.

(They can be found for cheaper than this link)

Also, if it hasnt been mentioned yet, Knuckle Buddy. Ever use another wrench for leverage and have it slip off to the side, smoke yourself in the face or punch the part because of it slipping?

https://www.knucklebuddy.com/

So useful for areas that are too narrow for a ratchet, and too deep for your hand. you can take the belt tensioner loose (to move the belt off pulley), without taking off the fan. Need extra oomf on suspension bolts? yep.
This thing is a knuckle saver x9000. Bought some for xmas presents for my dad and bro-in-law.

ModeGrau Respray
Active Autowerke Gen3 Stage 2.5 C38-91-AA Headers-Supersprint-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-AC Schnitzer-BBS-CSL
6MT swapped-RTD shifter-Amber Gang-Dual port Aquamist-Advanced Fuel Dynamics E85-CMP Auto Engineering topside subframe reinforcement-Redisn v2 plates

Last edited by Turb02; Wed, Oct-16-2019 at 05:47:55 PM.
Jump to top Turb02 is offline   Reply With Quote