BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Apr-27-2015, 12:42:55 AM   #1
AK_Topwise

In the garage:

Canada

Default Rear Camber Arm Eccentric Bolt removal help

Went to replace my rear outer upper/lower trailing arm ball joints today and ran into quite the snag.

Was starting with the drivers side outer lower, sprayed the bolt with penetrating spray took off the nut and went to take the bolt out and it just spins. It would appear that the bolt has seized/rusted to the inner ball joint steel and separated from the rubber (proves that the ball joint is in fact toast and leading to my rear suspension issues of floating feeling, poor overall handling etc). Anyways, tried hammering it through... No go. Tried air chisel... No go. This thing is stuck in there for good.

Now my thoughts are to just order new eccentric bolts and grind the bolt off and cut out the rubber to get it out, but thought I would see if anyone else has ran into this issue that may provide a better alternative measure.

Thanks in advance, hope to hear some good replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TiAg 2005 E46 ///M3 18" VMR VB3 / Macht Schnell Stage 1 Intake Kit / Status Gruppe Tuning Headers, Section 1 & Titanium Tip Muffler / Evolve-R Tune / Koni yellows / Eibach Pro-Kit / Rogue Engineering RTAB's + RSM's / AutoSolutions 30% SSK / ICONZ CSL Style CF Front Lip (painted matte black) / ICONZ CSL Style CF Rear Diffuser / Matte black grills & gills / Matte black roundels & emblems / Tinted taillights / Smoked corners & reflectors / Tinted windows
Jump to top AK_Topwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Apr-27-2015, 12:51:26 AM   #2
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Rear Camber Arm Eccentric Bolt removal help

I had to cut mine off and replace the control arm. I had the whole subframe out so it wasn't a big deal.

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-27-2015, 12:55:22 AM   #3
Kalahari

United States

Have run into this issue on my E36 and a buddy's E46. Both times, the solution was a BFH and a bunch of wacks.
Old Mon, Apr-27-2015, 12:59:25 AM   #4
AK_Topwise

In the garage:

Canada

Definitely tried the BFH route to no success, not a lot of room to really get a good hard hit on it, that's why we were trying the air hammer/chisel but it just would not budge!

TiAg 2005 E46 ///M3 18" VMR VB3 / Macht Schnell Stage 1 Intake Kit / Status Gruppe Tuning Headers, Section 1 & Titanium Tip Muffler / Evolve-R Tune / Koni yellows / Eibach Pro-Kit / Rogue Engineering RTAB's + RSM's / AutoSolutions 30% SSK / ICONZ CSL Style CF Front Lip (painted matte black) / ICONZ CSL Style CF Rear Diffuser / Matte black grills & gills / Matte black roundels & emblems / Tinted taillights / Smoked corners & reflectors / Tinted windows
Jump to top AK_Topwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-27-2015, 02:36:49 AM   #5
Kalahari

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Topwise View Post
Definitely tried the BFH route to no success, not a lot of room to really get a good hard hit on it, that's why we were trying the air hammer/chisel but it just would not budge!

Try drilling holes into the ball joint and then going back to the hammer? It seriously took two or three friends and I a couple hours to get these suckers out.
Old Mon, Apr-27-2015, 05:44:31 PM   #6
enzof355f430

In the garage:

United States

fire...everything is better with fire.
-Matt
Old Mon, Apr-27-2015, 06:36:47 PM   #7
Ascetic777
Regestrated Useder

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I had to cut mine off and replace the control arm. I had the whole subframe out so it wasn't a big deal.
+1 - Needed to cut mine off too.
Jump to top Ascetic777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-27-2015, 08:03:19 PM   #8
ILLuSioNz X
Built, not bought

In the garage:

India

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Topwise View Post
Now my thoughts are to just order new eccentric bolts and grind the bolt off and cut out the rubber to get it out, but thought I would see if anyone else has ran into this issue that may provide a better alternative measure.
It happened to me on both cars I tried to extract lower control arm bolts from. You're going to have to cut it off.
Wheels/Tires: 18 TE37SL & Falken RT615K
Suspension: TRM Coilovers 780F/895R|OEM Front & Turner Rear Reinforcement Plates|RE Rear Spring Perch Reinforcement|GC Race FCABs|GC Monoball RTABs|Godspeed LCAs|Turner Monoball Upper CAB|Turner Sway Bars|Turner Subframe Reinforcement (installed by Coinage)|Turner Solid Subframe, Differential, Motor and Transmission Mounts
Braking: Rotora 4-Piston Calipers|S/S Lines|Ate Dot4|Powerslot Rotors|Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads

The Official Supercharger Kit Maintenance/Replacement Parts Thread (VF, AA and ESS)
Jump to top ILLuSioNz X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-27-2015, 08:17:29 PM   #9
911Fiddler

In the garage:

United Kingdom

Hammer blows might do it, but might not. Here in the UK, the camber arms are not expensive so if you end up having to mash up the lot, costs are low ish. The inner camber arm bolts however require the diff to be fully unbolted and shifted up out the way before they come out, b'stards. If the bolt is cut then removing the bushing gets challenging but I've found that the entire inner bushing can be popped out with the bolt if the edge of the bushing outer case is destroyed by a chisel -quite easy actually. Then the remaining casing can be slitted with a std hacksaw. That help?
Jump to top 911Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-27-2015, 08:29:19 PM   #10
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

My last one was pretty seriously seized but I did eventually get it out with a BFH at the exact perfect angle. I do feel your pain, though, as on the other side I had previously had to buy a whole new trailing arm because an entire day of effort at a garage with every tool imaginable and a fair amount of ingenuity couldn't get the axle out. That was the most frustrating day of my life and is why I have a phobia of axle stuff (ie wheel bearings) to the point where even I will gladly write a check to have someone else do it next time they're due... Just in case.
Jump to top Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote