BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Wed, May-02-2018, 02:03:28 PM   #8301
tenfifteen
Pale Geek Rigour

Reputation: 153 tenfifteen is a splendid one to beholdtenfifteen is a splendid one to behold

United States

Default Re: What was the last movie you watched and would you recommend it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 hal View Post
Agreed. Should be a requirement for high school US history imo.
That one and "The Viet Nam War" in the last year have been tremendous in me gaining appreciation for what my parents had as the backdrop of their teen years.

I've seen a lot of interviews with John Lewis but I don't think I've ever seen him break down like that. Given his history, you could cynically conclude that RFK might've just pulled an Obama and governed from much further to the right, but I don't know. I think the guy knew what was possible with that office, and saw it being used in the wrong way wrt the war, if not civil rights. Terrible loss just in never knowing.
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 02:51:46 PM   #8302
chiphomme

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbmwm3 View Post
Oddly, and possibly disturbingly, I find myself siding with, and thinking Thanos is the good guy here (despite definitely doing some very bad things) and was like "Good on ya mate" for what he did...am I a bad person?? actually don't care, I already know I'm part sociopath

So you think a intergalactic mass murdering Malthusian is a good guy?
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 04:31:29 PM   #8303
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphomme View Post
So you think a intergalactic mass murdering Malthusian is a good guy?
thanks for that new to me philosophy! After a quick read, I think you mean Thanos is a neo-Malthusian as he is being proactive.

This is an interesting debate. I've been recently thinking that primates' propensity for violent conflict/war is in fact a form of natural population control. DNA is pre-programmed to be the fittest in a survival test...

Quote:
The book An Essay on the Principle of Population was first published anonymously in 1798,[1] but the author was soon identified as Thomas Robert Malthus. The book predicted a grim future, as population would increase geometrically, doubling every 25 years,[2] but food production would only grow arithmetically, which would result in famine and starvation, unless births were controlled.[2]

While it was not the first book on population, it was revised for over 28 years and has been acknowledged as the most influential work of its era. Malthus's book fuelled debate about the size of the population in the Kingdom of Great Britain and contributed to the passing of the Census Act 1800. This Act enabled the holding of a national census in England, Wales and Scotland, starting in 1801 and continuing every ten years to the present. The book's 6th edition (1826) was independently cited as a key influence by both Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace in developing the theory of natural selection.

A key portion of the book was dedicated to what is now known as Malthus' Iron Law of Population. This name itself is retrospective, based on the iron law of wages, which is the reformulation of Malthus' position by Ferdinand Lassalle, who in turn derived the name from Goethe's "great, eternal iron laws" in Das Göttliche.[3] This theory suggested that growing population rates would contribute to a rising supply of labour that would inevitably lower wages. In essence, Malthus feared that continued population growth would lend itself to poverty and famine.
So, Malthus predicted the greater wealth disparity?

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Jump to top racingbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 04:38:32 PM   #8304
skillz
6MT User

Israel

Wind River - Not sure why I waited so long...really enjoyed it

Batman Ninja - If you like anime, batman, or ninjas you will love it!

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle - A fan of the first so I gave it a shot...was expecting 4/10 and thought it was a good 7.5/10

2016 Lapiz Blue Golf .:R 6MT
2004 Mystic Blue ///M3 6MT (sold)
Jump to top skillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 05:29:33 PM   #8305
m3 hal

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfifteen View Post
Given his history, you could cynically conclude that RFK might've just pulled an Obama and governed from much further to the right, but I don't know. I think the guy knew what was possible with that office, and saw it being used in the wrong way wrt the war, if not civil rights. Terrible loss just in never knowing.
Indeed. The US missed out on decades of advancement in civil rights whether he ended up as president or not. His speaking ability and seemingly innate desire to weave moral sensibility into politics and governance was iconic.
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 05:39:08 PM   #8306
chiphomme

United States

Quote:
thanks for that new to me philosophy! After a quick read, I think you mean Thanos is a neo-Malthusian as he is being proactive.

This is an interesting debate. I've been recently thinking that primates' propensity for violent conflict/war is in fact a form of natural population control. DNA is pre-programmed to be the fittest in a survival test...

So, Malthus predicted the greater wealth disparity?
No I mean Malthusian. "Neo" is unnecessary.
So you think a mass murderer is the protagonist?
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 06:17:01 PM   #8307
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphomme View Post
No I mean Malthusian. "Neo" is unnecessary.
So you think a mass murderer is the protagonist?
Malthusianism is the idea that nature will balance itself out.
Neo-Malthusianism is the advocacy of population control programs, to ensure resources for current and future populations.

What if

Dr. Strange's one and only solution to everyone winning was that Thanos was right and half the universe needed to die?
This is kinda like a larger version of the trolley problem. If you know the entire universe is on its way to extinction, do you save the people right here right now by doing nothing sentencing your grandkids grandkids to death, or pull the lever to divert the trolley to wipe out half of everyone right now ensuring the continued existence of all intelligent beings?

Or is this a metaphor for global warming? We can stop it right now by shutting down all CO2 production, putting millions out of work, causing global blackouts, some famine, and insane economy crashes, but we prevent (delay) widespread coastal flooding, off the hook weather events, and global famine. OR we do nothing and keep on keeping on knowing the bad stuff isn't going to happen for a couple hundred years and hope for our grandchildren that maybe someone will figure something out that lessens the damage without us having to sacrifice our way of life?

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Jump to top racingbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 06:26:05 PM   #8308
djben
winning.

United States

"You Were Never Really Here".

Odd artsy crime drama but was worth the watch, features a pretty off the wall Joaquin Phoenix.
2006 BMW E46 M3 SMG - Carbon Black : sunroof delete : Ground Control Street/Track Coilovers : H&R Front Sway: Ground Control Aluminium FCAB : Powerflex RTAB : Rogue RSM : Stoptech 4-wheel BBK : SSR Comp 19" : Bimmerworld Oil Cooler : CSL headers : UUC mid-pipe : Pulleys : Gruppe M Exhaust : AFE elbow/dry filter : 4.10 gears : Epic Motorsports tune : 301 WHP : Recaro Sportster CS : Odyssey PC925 battery

2007 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT : Hardwired Passport 9500xi : Locking Differential : Sport Chrono Plus : GMG Front/Rear Sways : GMG World Challenge Springs : GMG Toe Links : GMG dog bones : LED DRL : LED Tails : Factory SSK : RSS engine mounts : GT2 Clutch Conversion : Sachs 2.5 Clutch Kit

Jump to top djben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 06:43:10 PM   #8309
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by djben View Post
"You Were Never Really Here".

Odd artsy crime drama but was worth the watch, features a pretty off the wall Joaquin Phoenix.
And a soundtrack by Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead). Need to check this out.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 08:12:20 PM   #8310
chiphomme

United States

Quote:
Malthusianism is the idea that nature will balance itself out.
Neo-Malthusianism is the advocacy of population control programs, to ensure resources for current and future populations.

Malthusian philosophy is based on the idea that population will outstrip food supply. The reverend's theory has been proven wrong repeatedly. He grossly underestimated man's ability to adapt. It reminds me a bit of peak oil.