BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Apr-07-2019, 09:12:22 PM   #41
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Parts - OEM vs aftermarket. Brands to go for or avoid?

It's either Corteco or Lemforder. Either way, you get the same mounts if you buy from either brand.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-17-2019, 03:32:17 PM   #42
Kenny167

In the garage:

United States

I continually see people saying to avoid VAC parts (particularly Obioban ) I bought my rod bearing kit from them before I saw any of this, should I be worried? I've never seen any explanation behind these claims, so can anyone provide some evidence? I really don't want to have my freshly rebuilt engine shredding itself on me...

Last edited by Kenny167; Wed, Apr-17-2019 at 03:42:25 PM.
Jump to top Kenny167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-17-2019, 04:46:43 PM   #43
Paulo M

United States

I think it also depends on what part youíre replacing. Water pump, control arm etc, Iíll go oe as you guys say. If itís a trunk shock, bolts, or window seals Iíll get whatever is cheapest.
Old Thu, May-02-2019, 04:11:07 PM   #44
e30mk

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Hmmm

So it probably is OE then? If not Lemf or Corteco, what else could it be?
From my experience working in the auto parts business I often saw Trelleborg and Freudenberg mounts for many European makes. I'm not 100% sure for the E46 M3, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
Old Thu, May-02-2019, 04:25:55 PM   #45
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny167 View Post
I continually see people saying to avoid VAC parts (particularly Obioban ) I bought my rod bearing kit from them before I saw any of this, should I be worried? I've never seen any explanation behind these claims, so can anyone provide some evidence? I really don't want to have my freshly rebuilt engine shredding itself on me...
Like a lot of places, it seems they don't actually do as much of their own manufacturing as they let on. If you poke around, people have been screwed by their shop, and products outside of stupid simple billet seat adapters etc. are poorly made. I have some brackets from them which are just fine, but the only "big purchase" I've had interaction with was a buddy who got a diff for his 135 - after talking to them on the phone, it became apparent that VAC wasn't actually doing the work, they were sending his diff off to another company and sending it back to him.. which wasn't really disclosed on the site.

Frankly, there aren't that many parts you can just get elsewhere - it hasn't been much of a problem to just avoid them, personally.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-11-2019, 06:17:43 PM   #46
klan8456

United States

Under the rules of this forum am I allowed to provide a link to another M3 forum? There is a similar thread on a UK forum.
Jump to top klan8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-11-2019, 07:31:44 PM   #47
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Frankly, there aren't that many parts you can just get elsewhere - it hasn't been much of a problem to just avoid them, personally.
Their VANOS hub is interesting, but I don't trust it because of VAC's reputation. Otherwise would be a good option for those who have broken tabs.

Turbotoy's is nice and what I have in my car. But I do prefer the idea of a new machined piece rather than a ring welded to an original hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klan8456 View Post
Under the rules of this forum am I allowed to provide a link to another M3 forum? There is a similar thread on a UK forum.
Generally that's fine. Exception would be things like group buys which we'd prefer run on this site.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote