BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-15-2019, 06:28:24 PM   #11
tr4ck_m3
Buildjournal

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Headers and ECU Tune now I have white smoke

Hey toof,

It really does seems like a hardware issue somewhere. I doubt that the tune could cause this, especially on first start up with the new tune since most of those parameters are kept stock. If the fueling was off, your car would not idle smooth either. And like the others have said, the post o2 are emissions only - your pre o2 will refine your AFR corrections.

You can also rule the tune out, by flashing the stock tune back on and see if it still happens.

It is possible that after that track day last month- your gasket components cooled/shrunk down developed a crack in some seal somewhere.
Maybe check your coolant levels or engine cap for moisture?
Expansion tank leaking?
White sounds like coolant or water making its way into your engine. Black usually means oil+fuel.
As for the header gaskets did you use OE gaskets?
How is the water temperatures - rising temperatures in idle may mean head gasket.

Or if you had new headers installed, it is likely coated with oil of some sort.
2013 BMW F30 335i 8AT | BM3 E30 Stg 2 Tune 367whp/457wtq

Last edited by tr4ck_m3; Wed, May-15-2019 at 06:40:56 PM.
Jump to top tr4ck_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 07:55:56 PM   #12
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Out the tail pipe Hassan, or just under the hood? I think that OP just mentioned (in post #5) that it's only smoking from the tail pipe. OP, does it smoke all of the time, or just at start up/idle? I just can't see how a tune would make a car smoke unless you blew a head gasket or something already? Have you driven it hard yet since the header/tune install, or has it just been sitting there idling in your garage so far?
Yea I'm right in line with what you are thinking here. If anything, I'd expect for it to smoke under the hood while the oils are burned off the new headers. Mine did briefly...also freaked me out.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 10:55:18 PM   #13
toof

In the garage:

United States

So run the car around the neighborhood just to keep everything greasy at least once a week and never any smoking.

I used the header install kit from Bimmerworld. The gaskets looked better quality than the ones removed.

I dropped it off at the shop at the track this evening and drove it around the skid pad. No smoke that I could see but the wind was up to a consistency 3-5 MPH.

Temps are good on water and oil but have not pushed the car hard yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top toof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 12:53:28 AM   #14
toof

In the garage:

United States

Another thought Iím having is that I may have plunged the O2 sensors into the wrong connector.

Do the Pre (or forward) sensors go under the plastic wire loom cover? Or at the rear of the head side by side?

Old Thu, May-16-2019, 01:34:17 AM   #15
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by toof View Post
Another thought Iím having is that I may have plunged the O2 sensors into the wrong connector.

Do the Pre (or forward) sensors go under the plastic wire loom cover? Or at the rear of the head side by side?

Rear of head side by side

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 03:18:45 PM   #16
toof

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Rear of head side by side

Thats where they are now. Well I'll be running "flat out" lol this afternoon.

We will see what happens. I need to do a proper shake down for NASA Summer Shootout at Hallet in 3 weeks.