BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Fri, Jan-06-2017, 07:06:51 PM   #1
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Default MartynT SMG Tune vs TTFS tune

Looking to upgrade my SMG software and am struggling to re-locate the differences between the TTFS tune vs the MartynT SMG tune. I have a capable computer to DIY and already own the necessary porting cables to connect my car to the computer.

Pros for TTFS SMG Tune:
-more convenient to install, can use a mac.
-"everyone" on the forum says that its the "BEST" SMG tune
Cons: expensive compared to the MartynT tune, doesn't include the other (non-smg related) tuning options.

Pros for MartynT SMG Tune:
-includes many more things than just the SMG tune.
-much cheaper
Cons: more comprehensive to install, requires windows.

Are the parameters of the SMG tune the same? Are there any noticeable performance differences with going with one over the other?

I recall reading that these both flash only the DME and not the SMG module itself. I also recall reading that some "SMG tunes" flash the SMG Module itself. If memory serves me correct, different parameter elements of the "CSL tune" exist on the SMG module vs the DME, thus there is reason to flash both? Is this correct?

TLDR; I am struggling to understand the difference between the two options when comparing strictly with regards to performance. I don't care if one is more expensive than the other or if one is easier to install than the other. I just want the VERY BEST SMG Tuning option (from a noticeable performance perspective) that currently exists. The one that is most complete (DME and SMG Module - if that is a thing). If they are both essentially the "same", then from a price stand point, the MartynT Software is a no-brainer for me.

Thanks for your help!

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 03:30:14 PM   #2
MartynT

In the garage:

United Kingdom

Default Re: MartynT SMG Tune vs TTFS tune

The actual CSL Rev Matching parameters applied via my tool and those applied by TTFS are identical, we both use the genuine CSL values. Most that get the 'TTFS SMG Tune' just get the CSL matching applied, not the full performance tune from Frank which obviously costs a lot more. I guess the term 'tune' is fairly broad.

Flashing the SMG module with '255' CSL software improves the quality and speed of the shift further as that software was designed to work in tandem with the CSL Rev Matching parameters.
Jump to top MartynT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 09:47:43 PM   #3
TropicalM3

In the garage:

Jamaica

Thanks for the clarification, I was wondering the same thing too.
Jump to top TropicalM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 09:58:33 PM   #4
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartynT View Post
The actual CSL Rev Matching parameters applied via my tool and those applied by TTFS are identical, we both use the genuine CSL values. Most that get the 'TTFS SMG Tune' just get the CSL matching applied, not the full performance tune from Frank which obviously costs a lot more. I guess the term 'tune' is fairly broad.

Flashing the SMG module with '255' CSL software improves the quality and speed of the shift further as that software was designed to work in tandem with the CSL Rev Matching parameters.
Thanks MartynT! So is the '255' CSL software improvement something provided in your tool as well? I am assuming this is not included in TTFS SMG tune, and is included in their full performance tune instead to work in tandem with their SMG tune? This is the first time that I have heard about the '255' software. Is there any other differences between your tool and TTFS's SMG update with regards to just the SMG (of course your tool provides a lot of other additional options, outside of the SMG improvements). I just want to make sure that I am gaining the most comprehensive improvement on my SMG system. I don't want to have to spend my money on SMG tunes, twice. Thanks again! It sounds like the most ideal setup would be the CSL rev matching parameters along with the '255' upgrade.

Edit: After some more reading (http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=125198) It appears that I need both the SMG Gearbox DME flashed AND the Engine DME flashed for the CSL software. Does your tool provide both? Whats the best way to go about having both flashed? Also, what exactly does the SMG Inertia fix do? For the record, my motor is completely stock, with zero CSL components (no CSL airbox, no flap, no csl headers, ect.), but from my understanding, that shouldn't be an issue. I also have DIS, INPA, Progmann, NCSexpert, and PA Soft. Other than PA Soft and DIS, I have not used the others enough to be proficient with their use or capabilities at this point, but I can follow DIY guides with no problems. If I tune the Engine DME for the SMG CSL Software, I want to also make sure to tune the SMG Module as well, and vice versa. I want the full experience with my SMG setup. I am not ready for an engine performance tune at this point though. Saving that big expense for when I have headers and intake to fully take advantage of the engine's performance. For now, I want to make sure the SMG is fully updated to gain the most out of it, whatever means that will update it to "this is the best the SMG gets, whether its in a CSL car or not."

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Sat, Jan-07-2017 at 10:26:46 PM.
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 11:06:15 PM   #5
MartynT

In the garage:

United Kingdom

My tool just does the engine parameters, Winkfp does the SMG DME '255' upgrade dude.

Have a read of the posts and guides on my site, they explain a lot and provide step by step instructions ��
Old Sat, Jan-07-2017, 11:18:57 PM   #6
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
My tool just does the engine parameters, Winkfp does the SMG DME '255' upgrade dude.

Have a read of the posts and guides on my site, they explain a lot and provide step by step instructions ��
Thanks again! Sorry for all the questions. About 2 months ago I read the entire MSS52 / MSS54 / MSS54HP Binary Modification Tool thread (LONG thread haha) and a few others, but at this point things have become muddled in my mind or forgotten. I will give it another read, as clearly there are gaps in my understanding and recollection and plenty of information has already been laid out that will probably answer all my questions if I give things a second pass.

Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 06:01:08 PM   #7
MartynT

In the garage:

United Kingdom

Sorry dude, my site is below:

'How to' guides are here:

http://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/

Features:

http://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/a-ru...-what-they-do/

Applying '255' software:

http://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/upda...-255-software/
Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 06:41:34 PM   #8
cscat87

In the garage:

United States

For what its worth, I'm a huge idiot when it comes to computers. I'm lucky if I can find the power button every day. I installed the TTFS SMG tune easily with their included instructions, and am very happy with it. No other mods to the car. Was a nice upgrade.
2006 Lamborghini Gallardo
2011 Ram 3500 MegaCab Laramie Cummins Dually

Jump to top cscat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 07:18:34 PM   #9
MartynT

In the garage:

United Kingdom

Does your car always start in 'S' or 'A'?
Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 08:05:07 PM   #10
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Does your car always start in 'S' or 'A'?
Curious about this as well. Do both tunes revert the car to starting in auto mode, like on the CSL? It would be great if this component could be overriden to always start in manual mode like it does in the stock US form. Thanks for the Links MartynT, I didn't realize that was your website, I have been giving your site a lot of reading since stumbling upon it last night.