BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > M3 Frequently Asked Questions > E46 FAQ
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Old Tue, Oct-20-2009, 05:46:36 PM   #1
zoltannagy

Brazil

Default Blcked SMG after accident

Hi,

I regret to tell that I hit a wall with my 2002 E46 M3. The steerring wheel airbag was deployed during the crash. When I turn the key to the position 2 the only two lights that come on are the ones for airbags and the ABS. My problem now is that I can't bring back the car on neutral. The engine hood was destroyed on the crash. I was trying even by pressing manually the switch that tells that the hood is open but I can't bring the the gearbox back to neutral. I am not sure if the gearbox is engaged on the second or third shift.

Actually the car is not running and there is a lot of work to do on it to fix it.

Is there anybody who can give advice on how to put the gearbox on neutral?

I will apprecate any help given

Regards,

Zoltan
Jump to top zoltannagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Oct-25-2009, 02:10:59 PM   #2
philjeffrey

United Kingdom

hi, sorry to hear you have crashed your car, i work in a bodyshop and have come across this in quite a few bmws if the air bag has been deployed there is a large red power cable in the boot which has probably blown as it cuts most of the power to the car as a safty feature. if it has then you wont be able to start the car or do alot with it untill the cable has been repaired. BMW sell a repair section of cable and a new switch which needs to be fitted so you can power up the car and engage neutral, i dont know to any other way of getting the car out of gear, hope this helps, phil

2004 SMG Laguna Seca Blue
Fully loaded baby!!!
Jump to top philjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-22-2012, 01:43:32 AM   #3
VentureXero.com
Banned

United States

Default Re: Blcked SMG after accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltannagy View Post
Hi,

I regret to tell that I hit a wall with my 2002 E46 M3. The steerring wheel airbag was deployed during the crash. When I turn the key to the position 2 the only two lights that come on are the ones for airbags and the ABS. My problem now is that I can't bring back the car on neutral. The engine hood was destroyed on the crash. I was trying even by pressing manually the switch that tells that the hood is open but I can't bring the the gearbox back to neutral. I am not sure if the gearbox is engaged on the second or third shift.

Actually the car is not running and there is a lot of work to do on it to fix it.

Is there anybody who can give advice on how to put the gearbox on neutral?

I will apprecate any help given

Regards,

Zoltan
post pics!!
Jump to top VentureXero.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-22-2012, 11:43:15 PM   #4
kdieselinc

United States

Default Re: Blcked SMG after accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjeffrey View Post
hi, sorry to hear you have crashed your car, i work in a bodyshop and have come across this in quite a few bmws if the air bag has been deployed there is a large red power cable in the boot which has probably blown as it cuts most of the power to the car as a safty feature. if it has then you wont be able to start the car or do alot with it untill the cable has been repaired. BMW sell a repair section of cable and a new switch which needs to be fitted so you can power up the car and engage neutral, i dont know to any other way of getting the car out of gear, hope this helps, phil
he is getting power in position 2, so the cable is probably still in tact. I have seen this pyrometric device go off in a few mini's
Jump to top kdieselinc is offline   Reply With Quote