BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > M3 Frequently Asked Questions > E46 FAQ
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Old Thu, Oct-08-2009, 11:04:09 PM   #1
playyymaster

United States

Red face 2003 M3 SMG considering purchase

Hello all, I am new to this forum and I am considering the purchase of a 2003 M3 SMG with 130,000 kms. The posting says it has an unknown transmission problem. It is a repossessed car.
Looks good outside, very dirty inside (looks like someone left the convertible top down for a while) but with a good clean it should be fine.
Am I crazy to be considering this? I had a 2006 325i before and absolutely loved it, but sold it after the warranty ran out for fear of the repair costs.
What would be a fair price for the M3? adn how much should I have in my wallet for worst case repairs?

Thanks,
Jump to top playyymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-12-2009, 06:37:09 AM   #2
CT_M3

United States

Welcome. To your question, I really wouldn't recommend even considering the car.
You should just move on and try to find a better example. If you are really keen on this car, I would have a BMW dealership do a PPI (inspection) and give you a list of repair costs. Factor it into your asking price.

M cars are not cheap to maintain or repair. SMG transmission repairs tend to run a couple of thousand if serious enough. The fact that the car is repo'd is another red flag, b/c the prior owner would have most likely beat on it. The mileage is high, which again doesn't endear me to the offer. Read up on the costs of maintaining and repairing these cars. I'm not trying to deter you but you need to understand the cost of ownership before getting one.

2002 E46 M3 SMGII
Stock: Carbon Metallic Black/Black Nappa/ PP/PDC/ Xenons
Performance Mods: Underdrive Pulleys, Streamline Drop-in Filter/OEM CSL Headers/ Larini Sport GT Cats/Larini X pipe/Dinan Exhaust/KW V2 Suspension
Aesthetics: LED Tailight Upgrade/19" OEM ZCPs
Jump to top CT_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-13-2009, 05:47:00 PM   #3
MarylandM3
"Whose baby is that"

United States

Yeah i'd be real careful about this one, i'd look in a different direction if i were you. There are pleny of M's around now not too expensive, and this one could cost you a boatload in repairs..

Current stable: 2009 Jeep srt-8
Jump to top MarylandM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-02-2014, 09:54:28 PM   #4
Tiag //M

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: 2003 M3 SMG considering purchase

Hey guys my name is Jason, I'm new to the forums but I know a little about m3's and I'm a mechanic myself. This weekend I plan on picking up a 02' SMG Tiag on black coupe with 19inch premium wheels with sunroof and premium sound, with 138k on it for $12,000. From the pictures the car is in excellent condition, inside and out. My question is, would you guys recommend a ppi? Consider that in this year alone, the car has had inspection 2 and valve adjustment, the subframe inspected, new flex disc, new belts, new SMG relay, new spark plugs, new pulleys, new tires, new battery, new valve cover gasket, new fuel filter, water pump and thermostat. All maintenance up to date and documentation for everything. All it needs is a center support bearing and a new one is included in the sale. Clean carfax and title of course. Other than driving the car and feeling it for myself would you guys say a ppi is even necessary and is this a good buy for 12k?

Thanks for your help in advance, Jason.
Jump to top Tiag //M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-03-2014, 03:15:30 AM   #5
ksuri424
WHO M3?

In the garage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiag //M View Post
Hey guys my name is Jason, I'm new to the forums but I know a little about m3's and I'm a mechanic myself. This weekend I plan on picking up a 02' SMG Tiag on black coupe with 19inch premium wheels with sunroof and premium sound, with 138k on it for $12,000. From the pictures the car is in excellent condition, inside and out. My question is, would you guys recommend a ppi? Consider that in this year alone, the car has had inspection 2 and valve adjustment, the subframe inspected, new flex disc, new belts, new SMG relay, new spark plugs, new pulleys, new tires, new battery, new valve cover gasket, new fuel filter, water pump and thermostat. All maintenance up to date and documentation for everything. All it needs is a center support bearing and a new one is included in the sale. Clean carfax and title of course. Other than driving the car and feeling it for myself would you guys say a ppi is even necessary and is this a good buy for 12k?

Thanks for your help in advance, Jason.

Yes definitely get a PPI

check the Vanos, check the SMG pump, check the underbody of the vehicle

worth the extra couple hundred.

Goodluck
Jump to top ksuri424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-18-2015, 05:02:27 PM   #6
Ninohale

United States

Default 2003 M3 SMG considering purchase

Ironically I just picked up an '03 SMG coupe w/ 134,000 miles.... It has SMG issues lol. I got the car back of $7k so I have room to sort/swap the issues but it's definitely something I've been educating myself on....

The car works fine in 1-3rd but 4-6th (especially 4th) there's something off... Slight delay in switching between 3rd and 4th (both shifting up or down) and the car almost "bucks" at low RPMs... However it runs fine when coasting and at higher RPMs... Almost feels as if the clutch is disengaging at low RPMs.... The issue is most prevalent in 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Ninohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-19-2015, 08:47:47 PM   #7
M3Moogle
Kupo

Russian Federation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninohale View Post
Ironically I just picked up an '03 SMG coupe w/ 134,000 miles.... It has SMG issues lol. I got the car back of $7k so I have room to sort/swap the issues but it's definitely something I've been educating myself on....

The car works fine in 1-3rd but 4-6th (especially 4th) there's something off... Slight delay in switching between 3rd and 4th (both shifting up or down) and the car almost "bucks" at low RPMs... However it runs fine when coasting and at higher RPMs... Almost feels as if the clutch is disengaging at low RPMs.... The issue is most prevalent in 4th.

Sounds like it could be your compression springs...
Old Mon, Jan-19-2015, 09:13:39 PM   #8
Ninohale

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Moogle View Post
Sounds like it could be your compression springs...

That would be amazing lol... Fingers crossed!!

Jump to top Ninohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-06-2015, 04:21:23 PM   #9
andrewrivera141

United States

Okay so since where asking about purchased cars or (thinking about getting) cars id like to ask about mine.. Just bought a 02 SMG black 118k with pretty much no options, and I mean not even fold down seats or ski hole, but the smg and Harmon speaker system. The car has allot of receipts from previous owners which was from Ohio and Pennsylvania. Vanos was repaired, sensors, fluids changed...Car feels good, interior isn't bad at all and exterior is good. The suspension and tires need work as the previous owner dropped it low and changed the shocks and springs. There done and I live in jersey. Now my question is, what do guys think as a purchase (10k$) and what would be my first things to change. ( fluids, salmon, tires , suspension lol. Etc) the salesman also told me not to change the transmission fluid or the tranny can die out. Would that be the same as the hydraulic fluid for the SMG? I think he said because it's used to the older oil .. I read some where in the forum that it's dumb to think that.. (Maybe to let out half of the oil or hydraulic and pour some new in? 50/50) anyway. You're inputs would be much appreciated. And is PPI like a point check from BMW? Thanks again

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited by andrewrivera141; Wed, May-06-2015 at 06:01:54 PM.
Jump to top andrewrivera141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-06-2015, 04:29:10 PM   #10
andrewrivera141

United States

/ATTACH]uploadfromtaptalk1430926078749.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1430926089715.jpg (111.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1430926115759.jpg (103.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1430926146870.jpg (93.4 KB, 45 views)
Jump to top andrewrivera141 is offline   Reply With Quote