BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > M3 Frequently Asked Questions > E46 FAQ
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Old Wed, Dec-03-2008, 03:09:38 PM   #1
Pete-M3

United Kingdom

Angry Disputes with BMW UK Dealerships

Sub Standard Work carried out by BMW Dealer?

I am looking for some advice before I take court action against a BMW main dealer. Has anyone done this before?

I have a 53 plate BMW M3 E46 SMG

The events:

In late June I was away from my home city and parked my car for 30 minutes while I done some shopping. When I got back to the car it would not start, it looked like it thought it was in gear but it was not, it would not even attempt to start.
I called the recovery people and they put the diagnostics on it but no fault was showing so I had the car recovered to the nearest BMW main dealer.

It took the main dealer almost two weeks to identify the problem as being the SMG control card. During these two weeks they had everything to bits testing details of service report below:

Vehicle recovered non start.
Diagnosis carried out for non start. Charged Battery.
Carried out tests on engine electronics.
Tested gearbox electrics.
Carried out test gearbox hydraulics
Tested slave cylinder movement sensor.
Removed slave cylinder and checked clutch visually.
Tested slave cylinder movement and correct valves.
Tested SMA control unit inputs and outputs.
Tested slave cylinder, switching output stages in control unit.
Supplied and fitted new SMA control unit and carried out programming.
Programme in gearbox and clutch values into new control unit.
Carried out visual Health Check.

I was charged 1596.70 for this work.

I picked up the car and all seemed fine until a few days later I was in traffic and heard a noise coming from the engine area. I phoned the dealer who said it was probably a loose heat shield and to bring it in the next time I am in the area or if it gets worse take it to my local dealer. Well I have not drove the car much since (about 1000 miles) but a few weeks ago I was in the office for a week and was stuck in traffic a lot of the time. Again I noticed this noise so decided to take it to my local BMW dealer. I have just picked it up repaired at a cost of 2160.01 plus the initial inspection charge of 139.24.

Work carried out by my local dealer.

Check fault memory.
Check function of SMG transmission.
Diagnosis-electrical system, pinbox testing SMG ECU feeds and earths, clutch valve and PLCD sensor.
Remove and install front and rear splash guards.
Checked crankshaft and float.
Remove and install clutch slave cylinder
Diagnosis electrical system, tested PLCD sensor.
Removed seized exhaust bolts, applied heat where required.
Check and measure clutch plate.
Replace drive plate
Replace clutch release lever, ball pin, screw, spring clip, cylinder, Clutch SS.
Replace cooling hose at rear of engine.
Re build inlet manifold
Carry out further tests on SMG system for faults once rebuilt, monitor clutch slave operation, re check fault memories, re check clutch at idle over long period.

All numbers in relation to BMW E46 Coupe M3 ECE N: 21_0093 Clutch Drawing:
So from all the above what seems to have happened is the ball pin(6) actually penetrated the clutch release fork lever (5) dislodging the same to grind against the clutch twin mass flywheel (1).

Nobody in my local dealership has ever seen anything like this. The only conclusion that I can come to is that it was not put back correctly after the first garage had the car. They had to take this unit off to get to the clutch.

The first garage are denying responsibility and BMW UK customer service whom I have had involved since my first call to the original garage are now doing nothing to help. So far I am 4,000 out of pocket.

Any thoughts?

See Pic attached where pin punched a hole in the clutch release fork lever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch Fork Lever.JPG (14.1 KB, 22 views)
Jump to top Pete-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Dec-03-2008, 06:41:53 PM   #2
DangerClose
Banned

United States

that second place , while kudos for finding the issue, look like they were having a slow day. They went over your car looking for crap from the exhaust to the front of the engine. You said the noise was in the bonnet area so wtf were they poking around everywhere else racking up labor and sh*t

The first place screwed up for sure. GL on getting them to eat the bill. Maybe , but doubtful, Shop 2 can call Shop 1 on your behalf and let them know the situation.

All this SMG stuff on the bill I see. Just one more reason to stay away from that stuff. It is near impossible to bust any 6 speed I have had.
Jump to top DangerClose is offline   Reply With Quote