BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Wed, Oct-03-2018, 03:30:27 AM   #11
herrubermensch

United States

Default Re: Racing Schools

I'll add a slight variant on the foregoing opinions. Bondurant is a great experience for those who do NOT have a lot of HPDE experience, but want to progress to wheel to wheel racing very quickly. You DO qualify for an SCCA license when you complete the Bondurant 4-day program, and it DOES put you in a very good position to go to NASA competition school or BMWCCA racing school. One CANNOT simply decide to go to NASA comp school or BMWCCA racing school; one has to qualify through multiple HPDE experiences and a test ride. If one goes to Bondurant's 4-day program, in contrast, one walks out qualified not only for an SCCA license, but also in good enough position to go straight to comp or racing school. My instructor at Bondurant was Andy Lee, a national karting champion, PWC rookie of the year, GM-sponsored driver, etc. Could not have been a better introduction to racing.

That all said, I agree that if one has been doing HPDEs with NASA for a couple of years, the Bondurant experience is unnecessary. Just go straight to comp school.

--Peter
Jump to top herrubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-04-2018, 03:14:58 PM   #12
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Semi-on topic - Bondurant just filed chapter 11

http://www.thedrive.com/news/24023/w...for-bankruptcy
Old Thu, Oct-04-2018, 08:30:23 PM   #13
burningchrome

In the garage:

United States

And what do people think of the BMW M School? Is it for white belts?
Jump to top burningchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-04-2018, 08:54:57 PM   #14
PenguinScotty

Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningchrome View Post
And what do people think of the BMW M School? Is it for white belts?
From what i've heard, the M School is more of a "experience center", and not really a Racing School.
Porsche, on the other hand, as well as Mercedes, offer programs that will let you apply for an SCCA license.

Personally, these kind of schools are nice if you want to go through an accelerated program to get your license. Drop the money, spend a few days, get licensed, go racing. That said, i'd much rather use my own car and progress at my own pace. Some people might be fine with just a few days, others may not be.

Experience is pretty hard to beat.

'98 E36 M3 Evo - Techno Violet, '02 E46 M3 - Titansilber, '05 E46 M3 - Titansilber
Jump to top PenguinScotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-04-2018, 11:41:50 PM   #15
m13s

In the garage:

United States

Try Bertil Roos. www.racenow.com This is a formula car school and has the longest running 2 liter series to date. The owner, Dennis, is a no BS guy and this school will prepare you for w2w racing, 3 day and 2 day advanced. There are no shortcuts and this school is worth every penny. I raced the series for 6 + years and can hop into any car and drive it out of the gate. Formula cars are not for everyone and if you are serious about learning to drive and race, this is an option. You will have to unlearn all the bad habits of HPDE's, and embrace the school, the instructors and the classroom. In the end you will have learned more in one week school than in ten years of HPDE's. Not knocking HPDE's, just this is a RACE school not a driving experience.

Once completing the school you do a two race series and it qualifies you for a NASA and SCCA license.

Good luck in whatever school you decide and welcome to the dark side of w2w.
If you want PM me and I can make an intro if you want.
Jump to top m13s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-05-2018, 12:31:43 AM   #16
herrubermensch

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
Semi-on topic - Bondurant just filed chapter 11

http://www.thedrive.com/news/24023/w...for-bankruptcy
Profoundly saddened by this. I hope that it reorganizes and does not liquidate.
My son and I did Bondurant's 4-day program together a few summers ago. An incredible memory.

--Peter
Jump to top herrubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-05-2018, 01:09:22 PM   #17
mrRed

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m13s View Post
Try Bertil Roos. www.racenow.com This is a formula car school and has the longest running 2 liter series to date. The owner, Dennis, is a no BS guy and this school will prepare you for w2w racing, 3 day and 2 day advanced. There are no shortcuts and this school is worth every penny. I raced the series for 6 + years and can hop into any car and drive it out of the gate. Formula cars are not for everyone and if you are serious about learning to drive and race, this is an option. You will have to unlearn all the bad habits of HPDE's, and embrace the school, the instructors and the classroom. In the end you will have learned more in one week school than in ten years of HPDE's. Not knocking HPDE's, just this is a RACE school not a driving experience.

Once completing the school you do a two race series and it qualifies you for a NASA and SCCA license.

Good luck in whatever school you decide and welcome to the dark side of w2w.
If you want PM me and I can make an intro if you want.
Dennis seems like a really sincere, no nonsense guy. Talked to their whole team from Bertil Roos a few months back and trying to figure out how to get to the 2 day school some time soon.

I think the thing that DE's don't really do a great job of is drilling the core fundamentals as they focus most of their energy on safety and etiquette (I have a laundry list of skills I need to improve and doing that in a DE environment is really difficult as sometimes I wish I could just go out and work on 1 fundamental skill 100 times in a row with feedback). It feels like the formula cars are an incredible tool that most us won't get a chance to work with and would be worth a racing school for that experience alone.
Jump to top mrRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-05-2018, 03:39:05 PM   #18
gregrock68

United States

I do currently race and have been for many years now so maybe I can add a little bit to this mix. There are many options out there and most all are excellent. To get a license, most racing organizations require a higher level certification (4th day) where they work on starts, passing etc..... Almost all schools will have the 4th day but check ahead as this is a requirement for your license most places to be able to race. Racing is the heart of their program. Other schools might be more DE oriented and want screen that out. The racing oriented school will take things to another level which you will wnat prior to racing.

I am partial to Bundurant. Dollar for dollar they are the best value typically. I have been going out for years and we thrash the cars all day every day. Most of the instructors are ex pro racers or one kind or another so you get a lot of feedback on what to do and what not to do. Bob built and profected this program for DE and racing many years ago, and he still comes out to the track to meet and great the students which is really cool. He loves telling stories. Again, there are many others and I am sure some will have their reccomendation, but this is my experience.

Jump to top gregrock68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-11-2018, 08:01:26 PM   #19
PurpleM3Pursuit
E36 on the way out... E92 on the way in..

Reputation: 578 PurpleM3Pursuit has a reputation beyond reputePurpleM3Pursuit has a reputation beyond reputePurpleM3Pursuit has a reputation beyond reputePurpleM3Pursuit has a reputation beyond reputePurpleM3Pursuit has a reputation beyond reputePurpleM3Pursuit has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Coming through the BMW CCA affiliated groups, I can assure you it is the most fun you will have in a car. I did my Race School at Roebling Road Raceway in a downpour and ended up drifting most every turn on my first session out.

In order to qualify, you do need to go through the DE ranks getting yourself to either the B or A group. Furthermore, you need recommendations from instructors to proceed.

All in all, I had a blast and am really glad I got into racing.. Met alot of people and have run some tracks i never thought of trying... All for the points

E92 M3 AW/BL Competition

BMWCCA# 368302

Also in the fleet:
'75 Porsche 911 Carrera
'85 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
'87 Porsche 951
'95 BMW 325i DM #422
'15 F150 EB SCrew
Jump to top PurpleM3Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-14-2018, 10:16:54 PM   #20
MaynardZed

In the garage:

United States

For clarification, NASA comp school does NOT require a cage either. Street cars are fine. The few guys I talked to this past weekend that were doing it, were having an absolute blast. They certainly seemed to have a lot of track time.
OMP Full Containment Race Seat
S52 with bolt ons 237 rwhp (DynoJet)
2550lbs empty
Jump to top MaynardZed is offline   Reply With Quote