BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jul-18-2018, 07:24:05 AM   #41
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: RTD shifter - SMG to 6sp conversion Detentless Manual Conversion

I think you got a lot more help from Matt (nervous24), but congrats, must feel great to see that to 99% completion.

There is a safety sensor on the clutch, to ensure you don't run into whatever is in front of you in case you go to start in gear.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 06:05:49 PM   #42
aa240sx

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Build Journal - RTD shifter - SMG to 6sp conversion

I got tons of help and products from this forum, but I do appreciate all of it!

So test drove it for the first time today (no coding) and noticed a few things

1- down on tire pressure, one of the tires was at 15psi, so I know I have a slow leak on it and went back to my garage to air up.

2 - clicked into all the gears without issue. there will be a learning process with 1/2 gear, but by the end of the test run I was already comfortable with it.

3 - service engine soon did come on (haven't checked codes) and it was down on power from what I could tell.

4 - I got some funny vibrations at around 50mph and higher. From reviewing the forums, it's more than likely I didn't install the drive shaft properly, so will be going back under to remove the exhaust and diagnose. When the m3 was on jackstands for nearly 3 mos I never removed the wheels so I thought maybe I was putting undue stress on the suspension components by hanging the wheels off them, but I doubt this was the cause. And yes, I did air all the tires and prior to this job I never had a vibration issue, so the only thing I can point to is the driveshaft.

I know that the rear part of the driveshaft where it goes into the rear diff was weeping some thick black grease and when I removed it, there was some paper gasket shreds, but didn't really pay any attention to it when I reinstalled. I believe I know now that I need to replace this gasket. As for the CSB, I used sharpie to mark where I removed it so I don't think I messed up the preload on it. As for the guibo, I marked the 3 bolts I removed at the front towards that tranny and put those bolts (with new nuts) back in the same spot, so if I continue to have vibration issues after this repair, I'll be at a loss..

Last edited by aa240sx; Thu, Jul-19-2018 at 09:21:18 PM.
Jump to top aa240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-09-2018, 07:49:23 AM   #43
TMA

United States

Any updates?
Old Thu, Aug-09-2018, 04:41:48 PM   #44
aa240sx

In the garage:

United States

I'm currently replacing my driveshaft due to a bad cvjoint. Sadly, stopped any further driving, but as for an update.

I did successfully program/code out the smg! What worked for me is this exact sequence.

1 - ECUWorks tool - codes the smg stuff out, but the gear display is still there
2 - ncsexpert remove $793 from akmb and alsz
3 - recode akmb/dsc - this removes the gear display
4 - clear codes via inpa
5 - done
Old Thu, Aug-09-2018, 08:58:26 PM   #45
mercedesc63

United States

I take all the credit for the teaching the teaching how to code!!!!

Lol, but enjoy the car man its been a long time coming.
Jump to top mercedesc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-09-2018, 09:26:54 PM   #46
aa240sx

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63 View Post
I take all the credit for the teaching the teaching how to code!!!!

Lol, but enjoy the car man its been a long time coming.
you got that right! time for you get another e46 M3 bro, but seriously your advice definitely got me to the finish line!
Old Fri, Sep-21-2018, 03:49:56 PM   #47
aa240sx

In the garage:

United States

Though I officially started this thread in April and finished the conversion in July - I really consider today - job done.

Unfortunately, the maladies of the driveshaft vibration has plagued me from driving the M3 for the past couple of months until last night.

Anyway, won't trouble you with the details since they're here

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...hlight=aa240sx

but suffice it to say now there are no vibrations, I can honestly say I couldn't be happier. It really feels like I have purchased another M3. I can't wait to drive it this week and row through the gears. I have driven it a little bit so far and can definitely say there's some NVH, but nothing I can't live with.

I think the biggest joy for me is knowing that I did the job myself, saved 100s if not 1000s, and I guarantee that mechanically/electronically it's identical to any 6sp out there, converted or otherwise (with the exception of not having detents - this is the only drawback if you think it's a drawback).

Now on to all the little jobs I've been putting off such as; passenger seat won't go up/down, programming some features now that I can do that, etc.

Last edited by aa240sx; Tue, Sep-25-2018 at 02:10:20 AM.
Old Mon, Oct-01-2018, 07:00:36 PM   #48
aa240sx

In the garage:

United States

Hey guys - not sure if I need to start a new thread or keep it here. I'll keep it here for now, but could use some help.

So far based on the process I followed below for coding

1 - ECUWorks tool - codes the smg stuff out, but the gear display is still there
2 - ncsexpert remove $793 from akmb and alsz
3 - recode akmb/dsc - this removes the gear display
4 - clear codes via inpa
5 - done

everything seems to be going well after having driven my m3 for the past two weeks. No CEL and have not received other error lights either, SMG, DSC, ABS, etc. Oh and for those wondering this is not a 2003.5 M3, but an early 03 build. I have working PDC, but my cruise control doesn't currently work either. Mirror tilt does work and so do reverse lights when I go into reverse.

My issue is related to stalling. For me, I seem to be able to initiate a stall on first startup at the beginning of the day. At first, I thought it was clutch related, but I get the stall after I've started the M3, warmed it up about 1 minute, put the brake on and then release the brake.

When I release the brake, the rpms drop below 900, flutter then stall.

I start the M3 up again and the revs go right back to 900 and stay there. Car doesn't stall again for the rest of the trip or any start/stops I have to do before I get to my end destination.

So far, stalling symptoms seem to only occur when cold.

I'm not sure what I could do next but in some of the research I've done, it seems the issue could be related to two things

1 - the clutch switch
2 - coding

I have the later clutch switch wiring harness installed, the one specifically for the M3 and definitely OEM and purchased new. I also don't have the GPS installed as I coded that out. Is it possible to even adjust the clutch switch?

As for the coding, I used the ECUWorks tool to make things easier for myself, but I've read that some folks end up coding a 6MT tune or Euro Tune. I'm considering doing this, but haven't used WINKFP or hex editor, so it'll be a learning process again.

Any advice here? It's not my daily, so I could almost just live with it, but it's a bit annoying in the morning.

Last edited by aa240sx; Mon, Oct-01-2018 at 07:08:34 PM.
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 11:45:27 PM   #49
aa240sx

In the garage:

United States

So I've solved the stalling issue!!

Thanks to ATB88 and Terraphantm. I was in the process of figuring out how to use WINKFP to flash a 6mt tune and as simple as that sounds to the programmers on this forum, I can tell you it's not easy at all!

Anyway, I started putting up hail mary's to people that had similar issues and just like any problem, the solution was literally staring right back at me.

Over and over folks kept saying you need to pull any remnants of the SMG ECU. I sincerely thought I did this since I unplugged just about everything I could find that was SMG related in the Trans Tunnel, but lo and behold when I went to check the SMG ECU in the engine bay, I still had all the physical connections attached.

I basically removed all of them. Started the car, proceeded to put it in reverse, depress the clutch, press the brake (all activities that would eventually stall the car at cold startup) and voila, car idles at 850/900rpm all day long.

Now the only issue I have left to figure out is cruise control.
Old Sat, Oct-13-2018, 01:06:29 AM   #50
fastmonbbs

In the garage:

United States

Nice job man! Congrats