BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jul-09-2009, 05:56:45 PM   #51
jyrbba

United States

We'll seems like the fluid hose wasn't leaking after all. It was soaked in **** oil, but atleast it wasn't coming from the hose, since it was air tight. Might had been the connections... don't know.

Anyways I just noticed that when I change gears they keep blinking for about 0.5seconds, i watched some YouTube videos and I don't see those cars acting the same way. So I guess it's not normal, anyone got any ideas what could it be? I've understood that if the gear blinks constantly, then it's the hood sensor, but mine only blinks during changes for a little while.

Any helps? ^__^
Jump to top jyrbba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jul-09-2009, 06:57:21 PM   #52
NC03M3
'05 M3 SMG

In the garage:

United States

I think the key is definitely to have a new relay at the ready in the glovebox.
Jump to top NC03M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 04:39:21 PM   #53
suneelmunj

United States

@hal c i have a problem
my smg gear bozxstarted giving prob as the pressure pump lost the pressure and would put the cr into neutral while driving but would reverse fine i took it to dealership they asked me to change the smg hydraulic unit hydraulic unit (aka the pump)
PN: 21532229715
the dealership also asked me to put in new clutch plate and pressure plate and bearing whihc i did
after installing all the dealership calledf me tp pick up the car as its fine and they diod the test drive but as soon as i sat in the car it again didnt go into ther gear and now it doesnt even switch into reverse gear
the service manager now says that new hydraulic pump is fine but either
gear position sensor (located near the back of the transmission)
PN: 23412229792
or

actuators (mechanical arms used to physically change the gears)
PN: 23412229789

is faulty the sun like orange light of smg is still on and car wont engage any gear not even reverse one which it used to do with the old pump
wat to do any idea how much these parts cost ??
here in pakistan mine is only m3 so delarship doing experiment its been 2 months
HELP PLZ
Jump to top suneelmunj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 05:06:40 PM   #54
m3 hal

United States

I would replace the relay if it hasn't been done already and then the gear position sensor since they could be pretty cheap fixes. Check the fault codes with the GT1 first.

I have received quite a few PM's about SMG related diagnostics. I try to help when I think I can but to be clear I am by no means an expert on this system and am not a certified mechanic. This thread is merely a compilation of all of the random information/problem threads I've read about on the boards. I created it to consolidate this info and hopefully make diagnostics a little easier, which it seems to be doing in some cases. Don't take anything I say as the gospel, most of what I suggest is based off the tons of threads I've read on the system and my own intuition.
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 06:13:38 PM   #55
jyrbba

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyrbba View Post
We'll seems like the fluid hose wasn't leaking after all. It was soaked in **** oil, but atleast it wasn't coming from the hose, since it was air tight. Might had been the connections... don't know.

Anyways I just noticed that when I change gears they keep blinking for about 0.5seconds, i watched some YouTube videos and I don't see those cars acting the same way. So I guess it's not normal, anyone got any ideas what could it be? I've understood that if the gear blinks constantly, then it's the hood sensor, but mine only blinks during changes for a little while.

Any helps? ^__^
Ill continue my story with the SMG.

Today I did some expirements with INPA, I checked the priming time of the pump (5secs) and the delay between the pump energizing thingie (4mins exact). The pressure when energized was a bit above 70bar and it re-energized exactly at 48bar.

Also did a pump pressure test, which turned out OK. INPA says the pump is fine. Also I ran "pump pressurising" program, it rised the pressure up to 90bar, until I stopped it in fear of exploding the pump :=)

Anyways, this strongly suggests that it's really not the pump. I don't have any clue where the move on from this point.

Again the problems where:

-Gear indicator blinking while shifting for ~1sec = slow gear changes.
-After 2-4hrs of driving the SMG and the engine light come on and gears start dropping to neutral (0)
-Cannot reset SMG from the paddles (INPA values don't change)

fault codes:

177 - Mil external info
Mil requirement by SMG
Error present
Static Error

------------------------

56 - Switching on time of hydralic unit (something to do with slow gear changes maybe?)
Implausible value
sporadic error

Already done:

-relay
-smg reservoir connecting line to pump
-refill reservoir
-hood sensors cleaned and fixed

Any helps would be great, thanks all the DIY mechanics and good luck to all with this demonic piece of equipment

p.s And sorry for my crapp* english
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 06:17:18 PM   #56
Tonester
Banned

Viet Nam

It sounds like your pump isn't holding pressure, 4 minutes in between activations is too soon.
Jump to top Tonester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 06:36:28 PM   #57
jyrbba

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonester View Post
It sounds like your pump isn't holding pressure, 4 minutes in between activations is too soon.
Really? I was told 2-3 is fine. Can anyone tell what's the normal delay for it?
Old Sat, Jul-25-2009, 10:24:25 AM   #58
horizonhealth

United Kingdom

Default Hi Hope this can help

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hitman View Post
Get a load of this..

I need a new part for my m3. My garage cant/wont compromise and have quoted me for a new SMG pump and accumulator at 1500 plus VAT.
I try and find the part reconditioned and true its a hard part to find...but then I get the part that needs replacing from the dealer...turns out the part number is the pressure accumilator only...cost 350...!
I confirm this with the garage and yes its the accumilator only...So I then try to get the part from a BMW dealer...As soon as they find out I am a member of the so called public...." sorry we dont sell to the public"
Not really a problem as I can get the part from germany direct but there is a recession on...the garages could do with opening their eyes and get the extra custom!!!!

What pees me off is the garage could do all this but it wont/cant/not bothered!!!
Why...???

Hi M3hitman, My friend has given me this number who deals with smg's has all the right gear his name is chris and his number is 01204 667867 he done my friends car and works like a dream and he will be doing mine once i can get my car up to him. Aparrantly he knows one hell of a lot about smg's and how to fix them. hope it helps
thanks
dave
Jump to top horizonhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-06-2009, 05:02:02 AM   #59
gntrobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mash3 View Post
Guys, remember to check the SMG fluid before doing any trouble-shooting. I just spent a month doing everything else, and was ready to replace the pump, only to find that a hose had cracked and the fluid had leaked out. $20 part instead of a $2,000 part...

Greg

just did this for my issue which was a grinding sound whenever the car would downshift to either 1st/2nd gear and when i would put the car in reverse.

great thread!
Old Fri, Aug-07-2009, 01:05:06 AM   #60
John_T
Ad Hoc

Reputation: 45 John_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Incidently, BMW have an SMG calibration program they can run that may clean up SMG operation when doing an SMG software update. It runs through all the gears, clutching and declutching, measuring and storing actual operating data. Runs with motor off, battery hooked on a charger and the diagnostic computer runs the SMG system. Takes about an hour to run.

SMG software can only be updated something like ten times, after which the storage module must be replaced which can be expensive, so don't update software more than necessary to correct a problem.