BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Place to discuss sights and sounds.

Old Mon, Jan-04-2010, 11:17:41 AM   #1
trudnick
1908 and still counting....

United States

Default DIY: Garmin Nuvi "hardwire"

Here's a DIY to install your Garmin Nuvi nice and clean, but I need to fire away the disclaimers, so please read them before proceeding.

DISCLAIMER I: All readers/users who utilize any portion of this DIY assume all responsibility, liability and risk for damage caused during or after any step within the following illustrations. All readers/users of any process or installation outlined below assume 100% liability for the mounting and utilization of any device installed in the illustrated location.

DISCLAIMER II: Do not attempt to enter route information or adjust any GPS unit while driving. Failure to pay attention to the operation of your vehicle could result in death, serious injury or property damage. You assume total responsibilty and risk for using your GPS or other modification installed in the location shown below.

BOTTOM LINE: Be careful, use common sense and drive/navigate smart. Look at the road when driving, not your GPS.

HISTORY
After driving the GF's 2009 335i with navigation I was hooked and wanted to install a nav system in the M. I didn't want to shell out a ton of money for OEM nav so I went with a Garmin Nuvi 755-T (thank you GF for the perfect Xmas present ).

My requirements for the basic mounting were that I wanted a crisp looking install that didn't involve wires/cords coming from the cigarette lighter or drapped across the dash. In addition, I'm not a fan of the suction cup on the windshield method. I also wanted to be able to install and uninstall the unit very quickly as well as have my interior look stock when not installed. After bouncing around a couple ideas, here's what I came up with....onto the DIY.

Required Hardware
Garmin Nuvi GPS:
This installation DIY works for the Garmin 755-T which has the 4.3" display. Odds are it will work for other units with the 4.3" display and may be able to be amended to accommodate units with the 5" display, but I cannot ensure nor do I guarantee that either will be the case.

Removable Vent Mount:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...f=nosim/e46-20

BMW Auxiliary Power Adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...f=nosim/e46-20

2: 1/2" bolts and accompanying washers and wing nuts (technically I used large machine screws, but will refer to these as "bolts" throughout this DIY).
1: 1.5" metal corner bracket (available at Home Depot-sold in pairs)
4: 8-32 x 3/4 machine screws with accompanying washers, lock washers and nuts
1: Strip of black colored Velcro (3.5” x 0.75”)

Required Tools
Dremel Rotary Kit (this is right up there with duct tape and vise grips as equipment every DIYer should own)
Drill
2 screwdrivers (Phillips and Regular)
Electrical tape
Gorilla Super Glue
JB Weld
A good flashlight

PROCESS
I did the best I could to lay out this DIY in a logical fashion. I built mine on the fly so I did a few steps in a different order than this DIY illustrates. Given that, keep in mind that some pictures may show some engineering that is addressed in later sections.

I advise you read through this in it's entirety first before attempting the install and pay special attention to all "NOTES".

Other than that, Good luck!

SECTION 1: Remove the Sunglasses Case and underlying housing

1) Removing the Sunglasses Case

Start on the passenger side in the middle and move up while twisting the regular screwdriver ~20-45 degrees back and forth. If you have never removed the Sunglasses Case before it can be a bit tricky. Just make sure you don't apply too much force (too much force = the sound of breaking plastic OR damaging the vinyl).

2) Removing the underlying housing

Remove the shift boot (this pulls right out).

You'll see 4 screws (one at each corner) under the boot mount, remove these 4 screws.

There are 2 screws at the bottom of the housing that need to be removed (one on each side).

There are 2 screws at the top of the housing that need to be removed (one on each side).

Gently pull the housing out to gain access to the wiring that feeds the DSC/Heated Seats/Sport/etc buttons unit and the cigarette lighter and disconnect this wiring.

NOTE: Make note of the orientation of how the wiring housings attach, you can't misconnect them during the reinstallation, but it may make your life a little easier.

Now take the Sunglasses Case and housing out of the car and to your work bench.

SECTION 2: Building the Mounting Assembly

1) Alter the plastic vent mount backing
Grind down the 2 small plastic portions on the back of the plastic vent mount so that the 1.5" metal bracket sits flush.

2) Attach the 1.5" metal bracket to the plastic vent mount
Flush the 1.5" metal bracket with the bottom of the plastic vent mount as pictured and drill 2 holes into the 1.5” metal corner bracket (align properly).

To ensure the stress wasn’t too much I decided to drill an additional 2 holes into the plastic vent mount so I could attach the 1.5" metal bracket on 4 points rather than just 2 (this may be over-engineered, but I’d rather be safe than sorry and I didn’t want the Garmin to vibrate at all when driving).

NOTE 1: My attachment is a little off square, but the nice thing about the Garmin is that the unit mounts on a ball so if you are off a touch it can be corrected when the display unit is attached. Since I made this up as I went along and only had 1 vent mount to play with I did the best I could. A square mount is in your best interest so take your time.

NOTE 2: Since the 1.5" metal bracket I used had pre-drilled holes in it, I just used 2 of these holes for my additional mounting points. That's why the 2 holes I drilled into the plastic vent mount are askew.

NOTE 3: Lock washers are a good idea.

3) Create mounting channels in the assembly
The next step is to grind out 2 channels into the bottom of the 1.5” metal corner bracket portion of the mounting assembly. These will line up with the bolts we mount inside the Sunglasses Case in Section 4. After I ground out these channels I hit them with the grinding stone to remove any burrs and smooth them out.

NOTE 1: The nice aspect of the channels is that you have some leeway when attaching the assembly inside the Sunglasses Case.

NOTE 2: Make sure the channels you grind out are wide enough for the bolts (see Section 4) to slide into and out of easily.

NOTE 3: Use the layout of the pictured channels shown as a guide. You don't want to go too far to the edge so that the outer tines are too weak and break off AND you don't want them too close together since you need to have some room for the bolt mounting hardware shown in Section 4.

To make the assembly less “visible” when mounted inside the Sunglasses Case I wrapped portions of it with electrical tape. This also helps reduce the risk of chewing up the inside of the Sunglasses Case when installing and removing.

4) Adjust the assembly height
Flatten the top and bottom of the plastic vent mount portion of the assembly so it fits nice and snug when placed flush inside the Sunglasses Case. This works best with trial and error. The goal of this is to minimize the amount of “bowing” the sunglasses case door will exhibit when the entire assembly (including the unit mount) is installed.

NOTE 1: Make sure you leave a nice smooth surface; any jagged edges will eventually chew up the inside of the Sunglasses Case.

NOTE 2: This picture shows the plastic vent mount without the 1.5" metal bracket mounted, but you get the idea.

SECTION 3: Engineering the Sunglasses Case for Power

1) Using the Dremel, cut a 3/8ths by 1" to 1.5" opening into the upper left hand portion of the Sunglasses Case (this is where you will feed the power cable).

NOTE 1: The plastic will melt and give off fumes while cutting, so make sure your work area is ventilated and take your time.

NOTE 2: Use the grinding attachment to remove any burring.

2) Attach one side of the Velcro to the rear top portion on the inside of the Sunglasses Case.

3) Attach the other side of Velcro to the FM antenna portion of the Garmin power cord.

NOTE: Since you have been grinding and cutting, it's a good idea to clean off the surfaces before attaching the Velcro.

4) To ensure you cut the opening in the Sunglasses Case large enough, verify that the cord (with the attached Velcro) can fit into the Sunglasses Case from the rear. If it doesn't fit then adjust as needed (the grinding attachment works great for this).

SECTION 4: Engineering the Sunglasses Case with the mounting bolts

Now comes some attention to detail.

1) Drill the mounting bolt holes
The goal is to mount the attachment bolts so that they line up with the channels in the mounting assembly we created in Section 2. I took several measurements, rechecked them and then rechecked them again. I then took a break and re-checked my measurements two more times. Once I was satisfied I had the positions set correctly I drilled 2 holes into the bottom of the Sunglasses Case.

2) Attach hardware

Gorilla Super Glue the washers to the bottom of the Sunglasses Case and let set.

Gorilla Super Glue the bolts to the washers and let set.

NOTE: Make sure that no Super Glue comes into contact with the threads of the bolts. If it does, initially the wing nuts won't spin and tighten as easy as you would like.

JB Weld the hardware to the bottom of the Sunglasses Case and let set.

NOTE: I may have over-engineered this, but I know the mounts are set.

Here's how it should look when you're done:

SECTION 5: Adjust housing to accept the re-engineered Sunglasses Case

I thought I was ready for reassembly at this point, but no dice. The mounting bolts caused a clearance issue so I needed to remove a portion of the housing to make it fit flush.

Take out the Dremel and remove part of the center portion of the housing (I don't have a "before" picture, but its pretty clear what I did here).

NOTE: Be careful when cutting out the needed area, DO NOT cut into any electrical housings.

Then validate the entire assembly fits flush.

SECTION 6: Installation

1) Remove the glove box
There are several screws that need to be removed in order to remove the glove box. I didn't take any detailed pictures of this, but it’s pretty straight forward. It does "pop" out, but don't force it, there may be a screw or 2 you missed so take your time and make sure you remove all of them.

When you're successful, you'll have this:

NOTE: I have an iPod ashtray mount so you will see some extra wiring and electronics’ housings in the following pictures that you may not have.

2) Snake the Garmin power cord into the glove box

Place the cigarette lighter end of the Garmin power cord through the housing and snake it into the glove box. Do not install the housing before doing this. I'm light on pictures here, but it can be done. Snaking into the glove box requires the vinyl between the two to be pulled out a little. Just take your time and use 2 hands, it will get there.
Here's a couple "after" pix that might help.

Reconnect the wiring to the cigarette lighter and the button module.

Reinstall the housing.

Reinstall the shift boot mount and shift boot.

Once you're here just pull the cigarette lighter portion of the Garmin power cord while snapping the Sunglasses Case back in place. The goal here is to remove any slack in the Garmin power cord that is inside the Sunglasses Case.

Reinstall the glove box, attach the flashlight adapter and plug in the Garmin power cord.

SECTION 7: Final Pics
Installed with unit:

Installed without unit:

Uninstalled open:

Uninstalled closed:

SECTION 8: Final Notes

When locking down the bracket to the bolts (via the wing nuts) make sure you don't over-tighten them. I found that just making them snug using one finger works well.

You may find the wing nuts run into each other when tightening, just re-adjust and you'll find an easy layout that works.

The flashlight power supply is on when the doors are unlocked (or the car is running) and turns off when the car is locked or twenty minutes after the keys are taken out.

PROS:
Crisp looking with no exposed wires or cords.
Easy to put up or take down (it takes about 7-8 seconds to install/uninstall the entire thing) and the Garmin unit stores nicely in the armrest holder.
It's very easy to utilize the touch screen given the location and unless your hands are the size of the Incredible Hulk there is plenty of room for shifting.

CONS:
It's a little lower than I would like, but it does the trick.
I can't use my iPod ashtray mount if the Garmin is installed.
Requires the door of the sunglasses case to be open when installed.

You're good to go, just keep you eyes on the road, not the GPS . PM me if you have any questions/comments.
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

2005 BMW ///M3 / Carbon Black / Black Leather / 6MT
OEM CSL Bootlid, Tekarbon CSL Diffuser, OEM Euro Headers, OEM Euro Cats, FMU Custom Section II 3" X-Pipe with DHM Low-Profile Cutout, OEM Short Shift Kit, OEM Euro Side Mirror Glass, Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob, Hoen Fogs, Stealth Corners, V1 (3.872) Hardwire, Eibach Pro-Kit, RE 15mm-F/12mm-R Spacers, CDV delete, Clutch Stop, Summer OEM ZCP 19s: Michelin Super Sports (245/275), Winter OEM 18s: Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3s (225/255), Self-installed OEM Alarm & OEM Homelink UGDO.

Last edited by trudnick; Sat, Feb-27-2010 at 09:34:35 AM.
Jump to top trudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jan-04-2010, 02:07:19 PM   #2
Mr. Wolfe
Anti-Bling

In the garage:

United States

Awesome DIY. Thanks!

Mr. Wolfe

2006 Interlagos/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT
1987 Turquoise Green / Imola Red 325is Mtech1 w/ M62 V8 Swap
2003 Alpine/Cinnamon ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
2003 Steel Gray/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
Jump to top Mr. Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-05-2010, 12:35:02 AM   #3
capnmark4
We're not going to Guam are we?

In the garage:

Antarctica

Very nice !

'06 M3 Cabriolet/SilberGrau/Gray/SMG
clear reflectors, smoked corners, DICE Silverline Pro
New pic coming soon
BMWCCA 429926
Jump to top capnmark4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-05-2010, 04:40:51 AM   #4
Justo

United States

Excellent write up and thanks for taking the time to do it. Having a non-nav, early '01, I have been contemplating this very mod of late.

Very nice that you can tap the factory flashlight jack, rather than a wire or the fuse box. Very clean!

Justo
Jump to top Justo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-05-2010, 07:51:17 PM   #5
Cruzer

Puerto Rico

What is the part # for the auxiliary power cord?
Jump to top Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-13-2010, 02:03:30 AM   #6
xxaarraa

United States

The solution posted by the thread starter is awesome. Here is another (perhaps simpler) way to hard wire a NUVI using the same factory glovebox aux power port:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0884.jpg (773.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0886.jpg (766.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0883.jpg (785.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0888.jpg (804.3 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by xxaarraa; Wed, Jan-13-2010 at 02:16:50 AM.
Jump to top xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-16-2010, 05:03:44 PM   #7
skelzy
Great White

I must admit it is a nice DIY. But thats an awful lot of work to install a Garmin Nav unit. Almost as much work as installing a double din unit...Which is the way to go if you ask me....But nice and clean install nonetheless.....

2005 Coupe AW/BLK/SMG/LOADED
Jump to top skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-16-2010, 11:02:50 PM   #8
trudnick

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelzy View Post
I must admit it is a nice DIY. But thats an awful lot of work to install a Garmin Nav unit. Almost as much work as installing a double din unit...Which is the way to go if you ask me....But nice and clean install nonetheless.....
Thanks for the compliments.

Yep, the DIY kind of took on a life of it's own after awhile . The main advantages are that the entire setup ran me about $250 and I can still control my iPod (which now resides in the glovebox) from the standard radio/steering wheel controls (via the DICE setup). Poor man's navi, but it does the trick .

OEM CSL Bootlid, Tekarbon CSL Diffuser, OEM Euro Headers, OEM Euro Cats, FMU Custom Section II 3" X-Pipe with DHM Low-Profile Cutout, OEM Short Shift Kit, OEM Euro Side Mirror Glass, Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob, Hoen Fogs, Stealth Corners, V1 (3.872) Hardwire, Eibach Pro-Kit, RE 15mm-F/12mm-R Spacers, CDV delete, Clutch Stop, Summer OEM ZCP 19s: Michelin Super Sports (245/275), Winter OEM 18s: Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3s (225/255), Self-installed OEM Alarm & OEM Homelink UGDO.

Last edited by trudnick; Sun, Jan-17-2010 at 09:31:46 AM.
Old Fri, Jan-29-2010, 02:44:15 AM   #9
Notsafetuning
Putting power to the ground.

United States

One must ask, does it still get good Sat. reception? I didn't notice any exterior ant. lead coming in. I did a similar install on a friend's 350Z in the stock Nav. cubby and occasionally it didn't like to grab signal.

Either way, looks lovely for a DIY.
Jump to top Notsafetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-15-2010, 06:30:11 AM   #10
trudnick

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsafetuning View Post
One must ask, does it still get good Sat. reception? I didn't notice any exterior ant. lead coming in. I did a similar install on a friend's 350Z in the stock Nav. cubby and occasionally it didn't like to grab signal.

Either way, looks lovely for a DIY.
Thanks.

Since your post I ran a few test scenarios with the GF's 2009 E90 OEM Navi vs. my E46 aftermarket Nuvi hardwire. Obvioulsy the 2009 OEM Navi was the clear winner (graphics, iDrive access, etc...), but the aftermarket Nuvi reception was pretty much rock solid and held it's own. In the suburbs, outlying areas and throughout most of the city the Nuvi worked flawlessly. The Nuvi was a few hundred feet off on occasion when driving through the downtown Chicago Loop compared to the E90 OEM system (which is kind of expected for an aftermarket navi system - skyscrappers cause known issues with aftermarket systems).

In addition, I was worried about the NavTech reception for traffic updates and even with the FM transmitter in the sunglasses case it worked great.

I don't use my Nuvi on a daily basis, but when I do use it the DIY setup has worked like a charm.

Last edited by trudnick; Mon, Mar-15-2010 at 06:52:45 AM.