BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 09:51:41 PM   #1
shawmcbigdis

United States

Default 02 SMG w/161k, buy?

New to the list and in the market for an E46 M3 finally.

I found one that I might like, but it's got 160k miles. Price is good at under $15k. From the research I've been doing it seems like if it's lasted this long it's going to last for a long time. As long as I get a PPI done from a dealer and it checks out. I think this might be the car I'm looking for.

Anyone with an SMG close to or over 160k miles and want to chime in with their thoughts? I haven't seen many people with that high a miles so it would be interesting to see what those of you (if any) think of it at this point.

Thanks
Jump to top shawmcbigdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 10:16:13 PM   #2
xyd
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Isle of Man

What the hell, 15k? Find something with lesser miles for that price, seriously. I could probably search for 10 minutes and find something with lesser miles for similar price.

Skip that "deal" and find a real one.

Jump to top xyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 10:21:10 PM   #3
shawmcbigdis

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyd View Post
What the hell, 15k? Find something with lesser miles for that price, seriously. I could probably search for 10 minutes and find something with lesser miles for similar price.

Skip that "deal" and find a real one.
I admit for that price and miles on most M's I would pass, but I want one with SMG, NO sunroof, with power seats, blue (any one of them, this one happens to be LSB) exterior, and black interior. This has all of that. I've looked all over the country and this is the only one I've found, and it's less than 400 miles from me.
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 10:23:52 PM   #4
infantrytroop22

United States

DO NOT BUY THAT CAR FOR $15K! It is better to sacrifice what you want in terms of options/colors than to get a car with so many miles on it. Especially for that price. That car is not worth over $10k.

Just sold - '08 Cayman S Sport
Sold - IB '05 ZCP / HKS RS Hipermax COs / Dixis titanium strut brace / Delage Sport intake / SS Section 2 / GruppeM Titanium exhaust / Alufelgen SF-71s / Vorsteiner c/f boot lid / A bunch of other little mods
Jump to top infantrytroop22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 10:25:44 PM   #5
C-M2

United States

I think you might want to lower your demands.

The options you want are VERY RARE.

This car is overpriced and has a lot of miles. No one knows when your going to need to start replacing engine components... Is that a risk you are willing to take knowing a new crate motor is in the 20k range?

2009 Space Gray e92 M3 Coupe/// OEM C/F Performance Trim, OEM Performance Steering Wheel, OEM Performance C/F Limited Center Console, OEM C/F Performance Mirror Covers, OE GTS Front Splitter/Lip, LCI Tails, IND Blacked Out Trim Pieces, SuperSprint Race Section 1-2-3, Apex EC7s 18x10/18x11, Stoptech 6pot, AlekShop 90mm Studs, AlekShop Half Cage, Recaro Profi XL's, Planted Seat Hardware, Custom Rear Seat Delete, Ohlins R&T Coilovers, Vorshlag Camber Plates, RD Sport Sways, AlekShop Solid/Delrin Rear Subframe Bushings, AlekShop Solid/Delrin Diff Bushings, Dinan Intake

Sold
04 ///M3 Jet Black Coupe
Jump to top C-M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 10:30:44 PM   #6
kkamakasi
울산박

South Korea

There is NOTHING wrong with a car that has 150,000+ miles as long as it has a COMPLETE MAINTENANCE RECORD.

If you can justify the price in your mind and the car checks out (mechanically, cosmetically), then go for it.
Jump to top kkamakasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 10:38:44 PM   #7
Mookster

United States

RUN away from it
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 11:24:24 PM   #8
xyd

Isle of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawmcbigdis View Post
I admit for that price and miles on most M's I would pass, but I want one with SMG, NO sunroof, with power seats, blue (any one of them, this one happens to be LSB) exterior, and black interior. This has all of that. I've looked all over the country and this is the only one I've found, and it's less than 400 miles from me.
I flew 800 miles to purchase my car. There are better M's out there than the one you have found. Keep looking, you will find one a lot better than this.

Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 11:26:30 PM   #9
shawmcbigdis

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22 View Post
DO NOT BUY THAT CAR FOR $15K! It is better to sacrifice what you want in terms of options/colors than to get a car with so many miles on it. Especially for that price. That car is not worth over $10k.
There are totaled cars selling for just over $10k. There are only 3 non wrecked cars within 500 miles of me for less than $20k, they have between 60-90k miles and are $18.5 to $20k. Edmunds true market value puts this car at $14.3 (dealer price), a dealer asking $14.9, seems about right to me. I wouldn't pay asking price, maybe complete out the door with tax/lic for $14.5.

Honestly if someone can show me a car with considerably less miles for under $18k I'm all over it, even if it has a sunroof.

Now back to my question. Does anyone have a car with 150k+ miles, preferably one that you bought used with perhaps 100K+ miles on it? I plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years so even if I got a car with 90-100k I would still get to the point where it has 150+. If no one thinks these cars are good to that point (which seems odd, since you all currently own them, but perhaps you dispose of cars at 100k) I'll either have to bump up my budget for a much lower mileage car, or forget about the M altogether and convince the wife it's OK to buy a Vette because I never take the kids in my car anyway.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but it does just seem odd that almost everyone thinks the car can't have 100k+ miles.

Thanks
Old Thu, Oct-14-2010, 11:49:34 PM   #10
xyd

Isle of Man

Quote:
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but it does just seem odd that almost everyone thinks the car can't have 100k+ miles.
No, everyone thinks you can find a much better deal if you are willing to wait more than 30 minutes after searching to make up your mind.

You posted here for advice, may not be what you asked or what you want to hear, but its sound advice from those who have been in your shoes.