BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Feb-23-2011, 11:57:31 PM   #1
MASS03M3

In the garage:

United States

Default Having Front end repainted..Price sound fair?

Took my 03 m3 to have an estimate on repainting the front hood and bumper. It had been repainted before but was done poorly as both items are peeling badly. Also one ding in the hood. I was quoted $2700 with tax for the following:
Everything disassembled and off bumper and hood( lights, emblems etc)
Strip hood and bumper down to primer
hood and bumper resprayed and clearcoat ( paint is baked on)
they said they will paint the right and left fender also but I figure they mean they will be blending them in to the hood and bumper. They said they would not paint only the hood and bumper but would require that the fenders be done too.

they have labor at 22.1 hrs @ $65 an hour ($1436.50)
paint labor at 12 hrs @$65 an hour ($780)
parts ($68)
paint supplies ($300)
body supplies (30.60)

They are a BMW/Mercedes/Jag Certified shop and they do all the bodywork for The local BMW shop in my area. They said the paint is Warranteed against defects but obviously not against stone chips. They Do excellent work as I did see some of the Bmws that they had just put back together and they looked good. I just have no idea if this is a good price or not and I am going to another high end body shop tomorrow to get another estimate. This is in the Central Connecticut area.

Please let me know what you think.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Feb-24-2011, 12:32:14 AM   #2
oocutioo

Viet Nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASS03M3 View Post
Took my 03 m3 to have an estimate on repainting the front hood and bumper. It had been repainted before but was done poorly as both items are peeling badly. Also one ding in the hood. I was quoted $2700 with tax for the following:
Everything disassembled and off bumper and hood( lights, emblems etc)
Strip hood and bumper down to primer
hood and bumper resprayed and clearcoat ( paint is baked on)
they said they will paint the right and left fender also but I figure they mean they will be blending them in to the hood and bumper. They said they would not paint only the hood and bumper but would require that the fenders be done too.

they have labor at 22.1 hrs @ $65 an hour ($1436.50)
paint labor at 12 hrs @$65 an hour ($780)
parts ($68)
paint supplies ($300)
body supplies (30.60)

They are a BMW/Mercedes/Jag Certified shop and they do all the bodywork for The local BMW shop in my area. They said the paint is Warranteed against defects but obviously not against stone chips. They Do excellent work as I did see some of the Bmws that they had just put back together and they looked good. I just have no idea if this is a good price or not and I am going to another high end body shop tomorrow to get another estimate. This is in the Central Connecticut area.

Please let me know what you think.
I dont know but on e46fanatic there is a guy in socal quote me $250 for the whole bumper painted and fix a small crack. He done amazing job everybody on e46fanatic was happy with him. Only thing that u would have to take the bumper off and drop it off.
Jump to top oocutioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-24-2011, 12:34:11 AM   #3
Heckafunctional
Do you even racecar bro?

United States

Default Re: Having Front end repainted..Price sound fair?

I would say a little on the high side..
Jump to top Heckafunctional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-24-2011, 12:38:13 AM   #4
mpegripper

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckafunctional View Post
I would say a little on the high side..
more than a little
Jump to top mpegripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-24-2011, 12:38:33 AM   #5
s65e90

United States

Def a little on the high side. They have to blend the fenders if they're painting the whole hood for a good color match. The paint supplies/body supplies are Ok, the actual labor times are slightly high, but then again the shop is there to make a profit. It also depends how much labor is going into the actual body work as you said the hood had some damage. Figure 2.5 hrs for a small dent on hood, and 2.5 hrs to overhaul the front bumper, and then about 2.5 hrs. per panel for paint for a (verrry) rough estimate.

Hartge // elf // AFE
Jump to top s65e90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-24-2011, 12:42:47 AM   #6
V8HAHA

That sounds too much to me.. id budget 1000-1500 max.
Old Thu, Feb-24-2011, 12:50:10 AM   #7
MASS03M3

In the garage:

United States

Damage to hood is a ding from a rock about the size of a quarter. This is for hood, bumper repaint and fender blend/paint. The labor seemed a little high to me. Not the rate but the actual total hrs of labor. Again this is to sand the hood and front bumper down to primer and repaint. They added that they will only do this if I have fenders blended. At $68 dollar an hour labor rate what do you think is a fair price for this job? I want a good job and not just have them respray over existing problem paint.
What do ya think?
Old Thu, Feb-24-2011, 01:28:49 AM   #8
eoddom

In the garage:

United States

They need to knock about 10 hours of actual labor off. Sanding it down using air sanders wont take long. Fixing a ding also...wont take long. The painting will be the longest process because they have to prime...few coats of paint...and clear coat. And if they are doing it correctly they are going to wet sand in between each coat to keep it from having orange peel. I dont know im going to get my entire car painting within the next 6 months and i refuse to spend more then 3000-3500 to have the entire thing done.
Jump to top eoddom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-24-2011, 01:43:48 AM   #9
MASS03M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoddom View Post
They need to knock about 10 hours of actual labor off. Sanding it down using air sanders wont take long. Fixing a ding also...wont take long. The painting will be the longest process because they have to prime...few coats of paint...and clear coat. And if they are doing it correctly they are going to wet sand in between each coat to keep it from having orange peel. I dont know im going to get my entire car painting within the next 6 months and i refuse to spend more then 3000-3500 to have the entire thing done.
Thats the way I see it. If they knocked about 8-10 hrs off the labor I would consider it fair. They have 8 hrs to uninstall and reinstall the following:
l&r headlight assemblies
L&r turn singnals
l&r repeater lamps
l&r foglights
l&r kidney grills
hood emblem
vent grille
insulator
l&r m3 grilles(gills in fender)
l&r body mouldings
re-aim headlights

I can see maybe 2 hrs total for this but a full 8 hr day makes no sense.

Honestly, I thought I was going to get this project done for about $1000. After seeing what goes into it, I figured about $1800 to $2000. Am I not seeing something here??
Old Thu, Feb-24-2011, 01:47:16 AM   #10
srlehmkuhl

In the garage:

United States

Way too high. I'd say $1,200 at the max. Labor at a total of 34 hours is absurd unless they are counting the time that the paint dries....

19" iForged Daytonas, Dinan High Flow Air Intake, B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust, Umnitza Predator Multi-Colored LED Angel Eyes, Custom LSB Gills, 3M Clear Bra, Hard Top
Jump to top srlehmkuhl is offline   Reply With Quote