BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Tue, Jan-10-2017, 08:16:32 PM   #21
Braymond141
Registered User
 
Braymond141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20,551
Reputation: 0 Braymond141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Oakhurst, CA

United States




Default Re: Question on six speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
Ha, yup, I missed the boat. I was able to get all my csl stuff through the stores, but a month later when I wanted to grab the 6spd stuff....surprise, NLA!

So....I'll be going the AS kit + auto M3 driveshaft route until I can find/source the legit driveshaft.
You have a 6-bolt diff still right? The 6-bolt US and Euro EVO drive shafts are identical minus the front half. I have a front EVO half



Crap, nevermind I can't sell it. I forgot I promised to a friend for his 6-speed swap. Hit up the UK and Euro ebay sellers. Most will accept full payment for their whole shaft only to get the front half. That's what I did.
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-10-2017, 10:00:20 PM   #22
nrubenstein
*******
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 36
Posts: 8,196
Reputation: 0 nrubenstein will become famous soon enough
Location: Washington, DC





Default Re: Question on six speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
What? It's not held in by o-ring tension. The cup has a circlip.




And shoot Mvon. You will need the plastic washers on the shift lever side. My fault, forgot. I paid $100 for my Dinan shifter on sale so it was a pretty good bargain "ssk".
12 years ago when I bought one, it was o-ring tension. Worked ok until some oil got on it.
__________________
[B]2011 BMW M3 (E90) Alpinweiß/Cloth - Slicktop stripper, TCK D/A Konis, AS SSK
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD - Duramax LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black - Konis, AS SSK, JBL MS-62C, IDQ-12v3, JBL MS-8
1999 323i KP/GTS2 Alpinweiß - Hood-in-the-windshield mod
1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black - S50B32/S6S420G, Diffsonline 3.91, H&R/Bilstein, Hotchkis, AS SSK, etc...
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan - GC/Bilstein, Sway
1989 325is Alpinweiß/Black - Decontenting...
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black - S62B50 in progress...

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black - UMW LTW Flywheel, Bilstein
Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamondschwartz/Black 5spd - Korman lengthened front driveshaft, 272 cam, H&R/Bilstein

Jump to top nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-10-2017, 10:02:19 PM   #23
nrubenstein
*******
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 36
Posts: 8,196
Reputation: 0 nrubenstein will become famous soon enough
Location: Washington, DC





Default Re: Question on six speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
I would like to try out the AS kit someday. Not sure why you had trouble getting OEM parts. I just ordered it all from the dealer and it was cheap. I went that route for price and availability.

Where are the AS kits even available? Their website was made in 1999. (looks like calling is the only method)
In the last year or so, there's been a BIG clamp down on Euro parts through BMWNA.

And yes, the AS web site is a throwback to 1998. It's still great hardware. I've owned most of the shifters in the market, and nothing compares.
__________________
[B]2011 BMW M3 (E90) Alpinweiß/Cloth - Slicktop stripper, TCK D/A Konis, AS SSK
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD - Duramax LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black - Konis, AS SSK, JBL MS-62C, IDQ-12v3, JBL MS-8
1999 323i KP/GTS2 Alpinweiß - Hood-in-the-windshield mod
1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black - S50B32/S6S420G, Diffsonline 3.91, H&R/Bilstein, Hotchkis, AS SSK, etc...
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan - GC/Bilstein, Sway
1989 325is Alpinweiß/Black - Decontenting...
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black - S62B50 in progress...

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black - UMW LTW Flywheel, Bilstein
Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamondschwartz/Black 5spd - Korman lengthened front driveshaft, 272 cam, H&R/Bilstein

Jump to top nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-10-2017, 11:25:52 PM   #24
///Mvon3
Registered User
 
///Mvon3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 58
Reputation: 0 ///Mvon3 is on a distinguished road
Location: SLC

United States




Default Re: Question on six speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Parallel View Post
what's your goal? Shorter throw, less notchy feeling? Never driven a GT3 so don't know how that feels.
Stock shifter works good now but what I'm looking for is a bolt action precision.

I'm not sure I can get it with the euro six as the 996 is cable operated vs e36 euro. Not much room to play with either, so options are limited.

I'm going to look into the autosolutions kit if available.

Thanks!
Jump to top ///Mvon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 02:59:38 AM   #25
///Mvon3
Registered User
 
///Mvon3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 58
Reputation: 0 ///Mvon3 is on a distinguished road
Location: SLC

United States




Default Re: Question on six speed

Follow up:

Hey all! Just wanted to give some updates. I had doubts of getting the e36 euro six speeds shifter tight and dead accurate. I've had this car for ~10 yrs and the shifter has always been a bit lacking for me.

I've been luck enough to drive a few Pcar 911s and own one. Except for the early cars, they always have great shifter feel. I've updated the bushings and hardware before on the e36 but I've always felt it just was not on par with the 911 stuff.

After getting the car put back together and having put some miles on it, I have to say the autosolutions kit is amazing! Thanks guys! Ronald did a great job. A bit more expensive than I expected but not crazy/911 expensive. Bolt action feel and accuracy! I have a new standard for my cars (wonder if I can get the e28 this good?). I've been thinking of selling the e36 but with the rear end refresh and new shifter... I will be keeping my car much longer now! What a machine!
Thanks again!
Jump to top ///Mvon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 05:15:50 PM   #26
Baby ///M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 221
Reputation: 0 Baby ///M3 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Question on six speed

Do you use a six-speed from an E46 M3 or the euro E36 M3? I have one from an E46 M3 and no one else other than you seems to know anything about the Dinan lever.

I bought a Dinan lever a while ago but unfortunately, it's still sitting in the garage since my shops could not figure out how to get it installed on my car, even after talking with Dinan on the phone. One of the shops suggested modifying the Dinan lever or banging it in place but I didn't feel comfortable with this idea, either.

This is Dinan's response after my mechanic sent photos to them:

************
Hello,

I am not seeing anything out of the ordinary in the pictures you sent.

I have run across this issue only once before and it was a matter of orientating the blue ball socket body and the M3 adaptor ring properly in order to get the snap ring on.

The one suggestion I do have is to try flipping the M3 adaptor ring over as the angle it holds the shifter in is a little different depending on which side is facing up.

If you feel there is just no way for it to work properly, my suggestion is to return/exchange it where it was purchased.
***************

I also have an AC Schnitzer lever/carrier from an euro E36 M3 that I purchased from the UK. The ACS lever works on my car but the 2nd gear always grinds against something. I am not sure if it's because of the ACS lever for the right-handed driving cars is different, or if it's because it's simply not compatible with my setup. I also tried talking with AC Schnitzer regarding this issue but they were unable give any advice on modded E36s.

///Mvon's Autosolutions kit seems like a great alternative but since he has a six-speed unit from an euro E36 M3, I am not sure if it works with my setup.

Sorry. I hate to beat a dead horse but if I am all ears if you or anyone else wishes to chime in.

Jon



Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Get yourself the Dinan SSK, aka B&M. Dinan is the easiest retailer to get it from quickly and accurately. eBay search for B&M, just make sure it looks like the Dinan version.

I run it with my 6-speed swap. OEM selector rod is used.
__________________
08' ///M5 - Alpine White/Indi Red: Dinan Stage II, Brembo BBK, Forgestar F10, Dinmann Carbon Fiber sides

98' ///M3 - Dakar Yellow/Black: Dinan supercharged, complete Denon/Brax audio sytem, AC Schnitzer inside and out
Jump to top Baby ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-15-2017, 05:08:03 AM   #27
Braymond141
Registered User
 
Braymond141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20,551
Reputation: 0 Braymond141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Oakhurst, CA

United States




Default Re: Question on six speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby ///M3 View Post
Do you use a six-speed from an E46 M3 or the euro E36 M3? I have one from an E46 M3 and no one else other than you seems to know anything about the Dinan lever.

I bought a Dinan lever a while ago but unfortunately, it's still sitting in the garage since my shops could not figure out how to get it installed on my car, even after talking with Dinan on the phone. One of the shops suggested modifying the Dinan lever or banging it in place but I didn't feel comfortable with this idea, either.

This is Dinan's response after my mechanic sent photos to them:

************
Hello,

I am not seeing anything out of the ordinary in the pictures you sent.

I have run across this issue only once before and it was a matter of orientating the blue ball socket body and the M3 adaptor ring properly in order to get the snap ring on.

The one suggestion I do have is to try flipping the M3 adaptor ring over as the angle it holds the shifter in is a little different depending on which side is facing up.

If you feel there is just no way for it to work properly, my suggestion is to return/exchange it where it was purchased.
***************

I also have an AC Schnitzer lever/carrier from an euro E36 M3 that I purchased from the UK. The ACS lever works on my car but the 2nd gear always grinds against something. I am not sure if it's because of the ACS lever for the right-handed driving cars is different, or if it's because it's simply not compatible with my setup. I also tried talking with AC Schnitzer regarding this issue but they were unable give any advice on modded E36s.

///Mvon's Autosolutions kit seems like a great alternative but since he has a six-speed unit from an euro E36 M3, I am not sure if it works with my setup.

Sorry. I hate to beat a dead horse but if I am all ears if you or anyone else wishes to chime in.

Jon
Euro and E46 M3 trans are roughly the same. Either kit will work.

I'm sorry I don't really understand the issue Jon. The Dinan kit is a very easy PnP kit. I know my answer was harsh, but you really have to find another mechanic if they cannot figure this out. You would have to supply more data for me to help. The only issue is if someone set the height wrong and has the selector rod end too long. It will hit the giubo. My pictures are enough for anyone competent to figure that out though...

Dinan lever, Euro E36 M3 shift carrier (25111221864), Euro E36 Shift Selector (25111222738) are the parts that are on my car.
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-15-2017, 06:32:54 AM   #28
Baby ///M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 221
Reputation: 0 Baby ///M3 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Question on six speed

No apologies. If I need your help, I gotta learn how to be more thick-skinned here.

My shop sent me two pictures of the Dinan halfway installed on my car. I am not sure if I've posted them before but here they are:





According to the shop, they were unable to install the snap ring with the M3 adapter ring in place. They concluded that either the shifter is not long enough or the shifter tower is too short.

Do you see anything odd in the pictures?

Thanks!

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Euro and E46 M3 trans are roughly the same. Either kit will work.

I'm sorry I don't really understand the issue Jon. The Dinan kit is a very easy PnP kit. I know my answer was harsh, but you really have to find another mechanic if they cannot figure this out. You would have to supply more data for me to help. The only issue is if someone set the height wrong and has the selector rod end too long. It will hit the giubo. My pictures are enough for anyone competent to figure that out though...

Dinan lever, Euro E36 M3 shift carrier (25111221864), Euro E36 Shift Selector (25111222738) are the parts that are on my car.
__________________
08' ///M5 - Alpine White/Indi Red: Dinan Stage II, Brembo BBK, Forgestar F10, Dinmann Carbon Fiber sides

98' ///M3 - Dakar Yellow/Black: Dinan supercharged, complete Denon/Brax audio sytem, AC Schnitzer inside and out
Jump to top Baby ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-15-2017, 06:46:13 AM   #29
Braymond141
Registered User
 
Braymond141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20,551
Reputation: 0 Braymond141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Oakhurst, CA

United States




Default Re: Question on six speed

Thanks for the pics.

I had no issues with my snap ring... in fact I wish it fit a tad tighter.

I'm assuming you're talking about the snap ring that holds in the blue collar portion shown.
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-15-2017, 07:53:37 AM   #30
Baby ///M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 221
Reputation: 0 Baby ///M3 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Question on six speed

No problem!

I have no expertise in this area whatsoever so I am going to guess that's what they meant.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Thanks for the pics.

I had no issues with my snap ring... in fact I wish it fit a tad tighter.

I'm assuming you're talking about the snap ring that holds in the blue collar portion shown.
__________________
08' ///M5 - Alpine White/Indi Red: Dinan Stage II, Brembo BBK, Forgestar F10, Dinmann Carbon Fiber sides

98' ///M3 - Dakar Yellow/Black: Dinan supercharged, complete Denon/Brax audio sytem, AC Schnitzer inside and out
Jump to top Baby ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:19:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Question on six speed in the E36 M3 (1992-1999) Forum - {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999 at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)