BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jul-19-2016, 04:49:38 PM   #21
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Default Re: Another Trackday - Really Loose Rear End - Spun at Carousel - Video Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3elmo View Post
Thanks for that. I'm running the dinan front bar bar at medium stiffness/stock rear bar and the front shocks at 6 from soft and rears 2 from soft so if anything I had it setup to under steer but the car actually didn't under steer all day, it would tend to want to break the rear loose (as seen in video). I'm inclined to think alignment and also your comment about camber in rear matching up to camber in front. I have the Dinan plate in front but stock-ish camber out back.
You can try setting the bar to full stiff in the front, and for rear camber if you don't have adjustable camber arms you may try setting it to max, around -2, I believe. If the Dinan shocks are Koni Yellow derivatives you may only be changing rebound speed so you'll need to consider how that plays into weight transfer.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jul-19-2016, 05:35:06 PM   #22
nrubenstein

Default Re: Another Trackday - Really Loose Rear End - Spun at Carousel - Video Inside

Well, he was a little slow catching it, but major kudos for continuing to think when it was backwards.

If the car is sloppy and oversteery, I'd be inclined to look at all the rear suspension bushings. How much mileage on those? Sloppy rear subframe bushings give massive toe change under load.

Also, I have Dinan springs on my car, and while they are decent for street use, they aren't really right for the track. You might consider swapping the rear springs to something stiffer for track use.
1999 323i KP/GTS2 Alpinweiß - Hood-in-the-windshield mod
1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black - S50B32/S6S420G, Diffsonline 3.91, H&R/Bilstein, Hotchkis, AS SSK, etc...
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan - GC/Bilstein, Sway
1989 325is Alpinweiß/Black - Decontenting...
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black - S62B50 in progress...

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black - UMW LTW Flywheel, Bilstein
Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamondschwartz/Black 5spd - Korman lengthened front driveshaft, 272 cam, H&R/Bilstein

Jump to top nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-19-2016, 05:36:14 PM   #23
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eson View Post
How is anyone going to blame the car here? Unwind the wheel as you put your foot in it, track out, and let the car go where it wants to go - it's physics. There's a reason for all that track on the right side of the exit before the left side pinches off 100 yards ahead.
Agreed, he wasn't using nearly as much track as he could've been. Also a bit slow/not enough angle on the counter steering. But I'm sure op knows that (I realize it was your friend driving).

I probably can't help you with your setup op, if you have fresh rtabs, but I'm sure alignment and bar adjustment can help you change the balance of the car a bit. With a 265 PSS in the front though, you can't be too surprised the car will oversteer. I've been running square 245s recently and I swear the thing will slide out just from turning in a bit more forcefully than normal.
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-19-2016, 07:22:22 PM   #24
JGC

In the garage:

United States

PSS's are horrible if they are too worn or too old.

I've just recently got into the E46 M3 world and took my car out on track for the first time. I had some track wheels that I purchased with the car, but wanted to try the street tires first. I've done a lot of track driving, but admittedly in a FF car, so I was being extra cautious. The car was virtually undrivable on the PSS's. I changed to the track wheels (square with NT-01's) and it was night and day. Much better balance.

If your tires are old or worn, I'd think that is the issue.
Jump to top JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-19-2016, 07:49:09 PM   #25
m3elmo

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
Well, he was a little slow catching it, but major kudos for continuing to think when it was backwards.

If the car is sloppy and oversteery, I'd be inclined to look at all the rear suspension bushings. How much mileage on those? Sloppy rear subframe bushings give massive toe change under load.

Also, I have Dinan springs on my car, and while they are decent for street use, they aren't really right for the track. You might consider swapping the rear springs to something stiffer for track use.
I just had new OEM subframe bushings put in while doing the subframe reinforcement less than 1K miles ago. All rear bushings were checked/inspected at time and were deemed good. Agree Dinan Springs arne't the best. I have the JRZ (fresh rebuild) shocks on there and am considering going a ground control coilover conversation with these shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC View Post
PSS's are horrible if they are too worn or too old.
If your tires are old or worn, I'd think that is the issue.
The tires themselves are pretty new actually - less than 1 year old with production dates in the mid 2015 range. I think they were just getting greasy. from two sessions with a 20min break in between.
Old Tue, Jul-19-2016, 08:45:47 PM   #26
stogybear

Armenia

Coming out of the turn there's a noticeable dip between the downhill section and the straight drag strip section (maybe even a change in asphalt type). I've noticed it really unsettles the car there if I try to accelerate out before that dip. You can tell that's where your friend lost it.

2005 AW M3 - 6MT - Bay Area
Jump to top stogybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-19-2016, 08:59:24 PM   #27
Andy2108

United States

What is your rear toe setting?
Old Wed, Jul-20-2016, 12:09:16 AM   #28
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

need to invest in a good custom diff

Build thread
05/2004 SMG PY/BLK - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - PF RTABs & FCABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - FR-X 3.0 Projectors - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire & Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - SCZA Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - VEI systems custom air vent A/F & boost gauge - VEI custom air vent Water temp & oil pressure guage- Active Prima plus + FS tune - Mishimoto Radiator & Oil cooler - H&R front Sway - UUC camber arms - keyless & push to start system - clear bra - interiors red stitching contrast - Apex PS7s - 16" Spal fan
Jump to top kokgo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-20-2016, 03:11:22 AM   #29
cowboyM3
Banned

United States

RCAB's

and a bad spot in tracks fault
Jump to top cowboyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-20-2016, 05:32:41 PM   #30
m3elmo

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
What is your rear toe setting?
need to do an alignment - at current dont' know.