BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Tue, May-16-2017, 09:35:25 PM   #1
MrCooperS

United States

Default MrCooperS' 2005 Internalogs BMW E46 M3 ZCP - Blue Shell

Hello - I am MrCooperS. My username is borrowed from another forum I used to frequent and also moderate - NorthAmericanMotoring.com. It was one of the largest and most active MINI Cooper forums. I had a huge passion in MINIs but I also had a lust for the E46 M3.

I've been dreaming about an E46 M3 since I first saw one as a teenager. I created an account with M3forum.net in 2011 and have been doing a lot of lurking and thinking since.

I mistakenly purchased a 2006 MINI Cooper GP instead of the E46 M3 after selling my first car. And then a 1989 E30 325i Mtech II w/ a S52 swap since it was an opportunity that I couldn't miss.

Some of my older cars:

2004 MINI Cooper S (heavily modded)

-Supercharger reduction pulley
-Injectors
-Intake
-Larger intercooler
-Cams
-Header
-Supersprint Exhaust
-Tune
-Coilovers
-Rear sway bars
-GP Brakes
-Wheels + Tires
-Factory Aero Kit
-Sound System
-Blacked out all chrome

2006 MINI Cooper S JCW GP Edition (limited to 415 in the US)

-Borla exhaust

1989 E30 325i w/ S52 Swap

-S52 engine swap from a M3
-Custom halos
-Mtech II kit
-Wheels + Tires
-Front and rear sway bar
-Coilovers
-Custom exhaust
-Momo steering wheel
-ZHP Shift Knob
-Sound system

And finally... my E46 M3. It's a 2005 BMW E46 M3 with the Competition Package in Interlagos Blue (my favorite blue). I'm dubbing this M3 - the Blue Shell (Mario Kart reference). So far, I am loving everything about this car.

Maintenance Performed:

Inspection II
-Valve adjustment
-Oil change
-Oil filter
-Power steering fluid
-Brake fluid flush
-Coolant flush
-Cabin Filter
-Engine Air Filter
-Spark plugs
-Differential Fluid
-Fuel Filter
-Valve Cover Gasket
Oil level sensor
2x O2 sensors
RTAB + Limiter
VANOS Solenoid Gasket
VANOS Oil Pump Disc (Dr VANOS)
Upper timing chain guide
Tensioner gasket
A/C Puller tensioner
A/C Belt
Idler Pulley
Pulley (can't remember which one)
E9X engine mounts
OE Water Pump
OE Radiator and hoses
OEM Hood Emblem

Mods Performed:

Auto Solutions Short Shifter Kit - 30% reduction
OEM Black Front Kidneys
OEM Black Side Grills
Osram Xenon Bulbs
Depo Smoked Corner lights
Painted Side Reflectors
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
OEM M3 Floormats
Cupholder delete w/ Euro Tray
Center Armrest Delete
A119S Dashcam (hardwired)
Coby Shift and E-Brake boots with M-tri stitching
ZHP Weight Shift Knob
Bluetooth module
Eventuri Intake w/ CF Scoop
Macht Snell Silicone Elbow
Interlagos Blue painted Valve Cover

What's next?

-Subframe reinforcement
-Rod bearings replacement (when the lab says so)
-A and C frame are sagging - need to fix or replace
-Replacing the steering wheel with leather. Alcantara is worn really bad. I don't like high touch areas with Alcantara since it wears so bad. May look into Ledarmanz wheels (next year)
-Replacing the steering wheel trim since that's so worn too.

Will be updating this original post to show the current state of the car.

Last edited by MrCooperS; Tue, Jul-11-2017 at 01:40:48 AM.
Jump to top MrCooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 10:17:17 PM   #2
MrCooperS

United States

Default Re: MrCooperS' 2005 Internalogs BMW E46 M3 ZCP - Blue Shell

THE PURCHASE

I actually wasn't really ready to pull the trigger on the E46 M3 yet. I've done a massive amount of research and kept my own spread sheet for data tracking for many years. But then this M3 popped up on this very forum and I decided to respond:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ght=interlagos

The car has a little over 136,000 miles on it and the asking price was $19,500.

The exterior looked like it was in decent shape. I liked that there was maintenance documentation and some of the maintenance items that were performed such as a VANOS replacement. I also especially liked that it was stock.

I responded to the thread and eventually Manny and I started texting about the car and got into some good conversations. I made him an offer which I didn't think he would accept... contingent on an inspection.

To my surprise, Manny accepted my offer. So I called around NYC for a shop and found a BMW CCA associated shop and had them do the inspection.

The inspection results came back and it needed maintenance work. Primarily an Inspection II and O2 sensors.

I offered Manny $15K for the car and I would fly down to New York and drive it home the same weekend. Manny accepted and needless to say, it's now in my possession.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manny 1.jpg (315.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Manny 2.jpg (310.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Snow 1.jpg (122.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Snow 2.jpg (113.5 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by MrCooperS; Mon, Jul-17-2017 at 07:38:22 PM.
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 10:23:46 PM   #3
MrCooperS

United States

ENGINE TLC

The first thing I did was bring this car to my mechanic, Jake over at Wile Motorsports.

He did a thorough inspection of the car and found some exterior issues (rust) which I missed (ugh). I was not able to see it when I picked it up due to it being a bit dirty in the middle of winter.

But mechanically, the car was in great shape. I immediately took care of the following things:

Inspection II
-Valve adjustment
-Oil change
-Oil filter
-Power steering fluid
-Brake fluid flush
-Coolant flush
-Cabin Filter
-Engine Air Filter
-Spark plugs
-Differential Fluid
-Fuel Filter
-Valve Cover Gasket
Oil level sensor
O2 sensors
RTAB + Limiter
VANOS Solenoid Gasket
VANOS Oil Pump Disc (Dr VANOS)
Upper timing chain guide
Tensioner gasket
A/C Puller tensioner
A/C Belt
Idler Pulley
Pulley (can't remember which one)
New E9X engine mounts.

Also did a Blackstone oil analysis and the copper came back low.

INTERIOR TLC

First things is first. I removed cup holders which were in shit condition. The armrest was in decent shape but it gets in the way of shifting so I purchased a deletion kit. I think it's also a much cleaner look.

Also added some fresh shift and e-brake boots from Coby as well as a ZCP weighted knob. The old boots and shift knob was worn to shit as well.

The old carpets weren't even held down any more. The velcro is all gone and they were dirty dirty dirty. So I replaced the entire set.

I also hardwires a dash cam to the car. I went with the A119S w/ GPS function and the tap a fuse hardwire kit. I also like that this dash cam has a motion detector so it starts recording when it detects motion. Definitely opt for the 128GB card. Did a ton of research to find out how to tap this dash cam. It's incredibly difficult to find a ground in the glove box, so you have to take it out and make one. But it worked.

TL;DR - It's tapped to the cigarette lighter fuse in the glove compartment fuse box so it's always on.

Then I wiped down every single surface. Twice.

OTHER TLC
-New OSRAM Bulbs (the old ones were mismatched and not very bright)

Last edited by MrCooperS; Wed, May-17-2017 at 11:52:48 PM.
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 11:13:50 PM   #4
e46lsb

In the garage:

United States

Default MrCooperS' 2005 Internalogs BMW E46 M3 ZCP - Blue Shell

Love the e30. Did you rid of it? Congrats on the e46. The minis are cool. They remind me of the Italian job every time I see them.

Where is the rust? New York winters...

Last edited by e46lsb; Wed, May-17-2017 at 01:06:53 AM.
Jump to top e46lsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-17-2017, 02:34:25 AM   #5
MrCooperS

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46lsb View Post
Love the e30. Did you rid of it? Congrats on the e46. The minis are cool. They remind me of the Italian job every time I see them.

Where is the rust? New York winters...
Yeah - I sold the E30. Couldn't justify two toy cars that needed restoration work. I actually really miss it.

The bottom of the car was actually super clean! But there is some rust on the panels. More to come...
Old Wed, May-17-2017, 02:35:37 AM   #6
e46lsb

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCooperS View Post
Yeah - I sold the E30. Couldn't justify two toy cars that needed restoration work. I actually really miss it.

The bottom of the car was actually super clean! But there is some rust on the panels. More to come...

That's a shame of the rust surprise. And a bigger shame letting the e30 go. Looked good.
Old Wed, May-17-2017, 06:52:42 AM   #7
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Car looks great. Get that rust taken care off ASAP. Looking forward to the updates.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-17-2017, 08:22:23 PM   #8
MrCooperS

United States

EXTERIOR TLC w/ SUSPENSION TLC

-Replaced the pitted chrome grills and side vents with OEM black ones.
-Also replaced the corner lights with some smoked ones. They just fit the look sooo much better.
-Part of the PPI revealed that the rear spring had broken. My mechanic said it was fine to drive for a while. But since I autocross, I should replace it ASAP. I found a set of lightly used Eibach Pro springs from a forum member and had them installed. The drop was very minimal which I like. Here's how it looked after that:

What's next?
-Removing a quarter panel dent in the rear (already scheduled)
-Replacing the headlight lens.
-Respraying the front and rear bumper. Since this was a NYC car, it's got a NYC scar. Actually it's got a lot of scar. Specifically, there is a huge gouge in the front bumper. It looks like someone backed into it at some point and it also made a gouge in the headlight lens.
-Rust and bubble repair. I located all of the rust spots and bubbles. I'm super OCD so it's going to drive me insane. Once I see it, I can't unsee it.
-All four wheels a curbed pretty badly. I'm going to switch to an 18" square set up once this autocross season is over.

Here's all the rust, scratches, and bubbles. Sorry for the rain shots.

The deep gouge on the front bumper

Dime-sized rust and bubbling on the driver's side rear quarter panel

Dime-sized rust in the rear tail panel (between the trunk and rear bumper)

Fender rust on the driver's side rear fender. Sigh.

Shitty bondo job on the driver's side rear fender. I think this is the cause for the other fender rust spot as well.

Driver's side entry sill bubbling.

Driver's side mirror collar bubbling. Got a replacement part from a member over at E46fantaics but the paint doesn't match. So I sent it back to get it fixed. He went MIA for over a month. Filing a Paypal dispute... sigh.

Last edited by MrCooperS; Wed, May-17-2017 at 11:40:29 PM.
Old Wed, May-17-2017, 08:41:33 PM   #9
MrCooperS

United States

MOD - AUTO SOLUTIONS 30% SHORT SHIFTER KIT

Purchased in a group buy, I was told that this is one of the best short shifters. And man, it does not disappoint.

I'm used to precise and shorter shifting. The stock E46 M3 shifter just felt really sloppy to me and I really wasn't enjoying it. One of the first mods was the AS 30% reduction kit. Ronald is really quick to advise and respond. I paid my mechanic to install this (only took him 1.5 hours) and it's easily my favorite mod.

It's still a bit notchy, and it grinds just a tiny bit when it's still cold. But when it's warmed up, the shifts are short, sweet and precise. I tried out a DINAN short shifter and it's not even close. Go Auto Solutions or go home.
Old Wed, May-17-2017, 08:51:50 PM   #10
MrCooperS

United States

MOD - Status Gruppe CSL Trunk painted IB

Bought this used from Fazalcon - a member on this forum. Shipped by Lightwerkz (Caesar).

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=570027

Let me start by saying, this has been an absolute ****ing nightmare. Here's why:

The CSL trunk arrived damaged.

F!@#$#@

On 3/3/2017 - it arrived and I immediately contacted Fazal.

It either wasn't packaged well or it's poorly handled. Either way, I texted Fazalcon about it right away. Fazal took about a week to file insurance with FedEx. He went to get a letter from UPS (who packaged it) to say it was properly packaged. But it was shipped through FedEx from Caesar since he gets better quotes.

Anyways, several weeks go by and I hear nothing from FedEx. Knowing a bit how shipping insurance works, I'm not repairing the trunk or throwing away the package in case someone wants to come out and inspect the packaging.

At this point, it's 3/28/2017 so...

I reached out to FedEx over the phone and via online chat to discover that an insurance claim was never filed. WTF

So I texted Fazal right away. He's confused and not sure what's happening and puts me in touch with Caesar.

We start a 3 way text chat with Caesar. And Caesar requests photos and documentation on the damage. I submitted that over email right away. It turns out Caesar uses a third party insurance and not FedEx to insure that packages.

I start to check in every week with both Fazal and Caesar so see if there has been any updates.

SIX WEEKS LATER and still nothing from nobody. Caesar basically told me that the reps are not responding. So he suggests canceling the claim and then filing it again with his account rep to see if it can get escalated quicker.

It's week seven on this debacle now (05/17/2017) and still no real progress.

The CSL trunk is just collecting dust in the basement. Fazal is not really sympathetic about the whole thing. I suggested that Fazal reimburse me the money for the repairment and Caesar can reimburse Fazal when insurance comes through.

It doesn't seem fair that I have to deal with this whole issue and I'm the only one that's pushing shit to get moving. Isn't the seller responsible for making sure the item they are selling arrived as described as promised as a part of a transaction?

It's been a frustrating experience. Keep this in mind when purchasing from Fazal.

Keeping this space to update on the whole issue.

Last edited by MrCooperS; Sun, May-21-2017 at 02:03:36 PM.