BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

View Poll Results: On cars which require only 87 octane (owners manual), which do you use?
Premium 5 23.81%
87 or 89 octane 16 76.19%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Fri, May-19-2017, 02:29:05 PM   #41
maditalian
M3F tag's popularity king

Italy

Default Re: Premium gas vs. regular: What's really better for your car? (CBC Marketplace)

Well, I am glad this poll was made.

As of now it sits at 75% use reg and 25% use premium.

And this is a poll done in a car forum where pretty much all of its members drive german cars that specify 93. And most of its members are also what we would classify as car aficionados.
Also, the lot of them probably are not in a financial situation where pinching to $0.20 a gallon would make a difference to their household economics.

Nonetheless, 75% uses Reg gas. I am sure that if this poll was made in any other non-german car forum the rate would be closer to 95%.

Proves my point. About +90% of cars sold in the US are going to get filled with regular gas, manufactures know that. Do you think that they gonna make a car engine that will get ruined if regular gasoline was poured in it?? especially since most have warranties for the engine to about 100k miles or at least 5 years?

According to Quora 6.1% of gas sales are premium.

Like 1015 rightfully said: go ahead and save a few cents, retard the timing, definitely nothing bad will happen.

OR you can use premium, advance the timing and get about 1.5% more hp . . . cos you know, to drive to work you gonna need all of them ponies your engine can eek out or you wont make it on time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NP0TqhVHE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maditalian
Charity: It's a two way street
Jump to top maditalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 02:45:56 PM   #42
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Default Re: Premium gas vs. regular: What's really better for your car? (CBC Marketplace)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maditalian View Post
Well, I am glad this poll was made.

As of now it sits at 75% use reg and 25% use premium.

And this is a poll done in a car forum where pretty much all of its members drive german cars that specify 93. And most of its members are also what we would classify as car aficionados.
Also, the lot of them probably are not in a financial situation where pinching to $0.20 a gallon would make a difference to their household economics.

Nonetheless, 75% uses Reg gas. I am sure that if this poll was made in any other non-german car forum the rate would be closer to 95%.

Proves my point. About +90% of cars sold in the US are going to get filled with regular gas, manufactures know that. Do you think that they gonna make a car engine that will get ruined if regular gasoline was poured in it?? especially since most have warranties for the engine to about 100k miles or at least 5 years?

According to Quora 6.1% of gas sales are premium.

Like 1015 rightfully said: go ahead and save a few cents, retard the timing, definitely nothing bad will happen.

OR you can use premium, advance the timing and get about 1.5% more hp . . . cos you know, to drive to work you gonna need all of them ponies your engine can eek out or you wont make it on time
Please reread the question in the poll.. People who voted regular did so on cars where the minimum octane rating for their vehicle is 87.
The majority of people would have voted for 91+ octane if their cars required it. Why not? Yes, I can most definitely tell the difference in performance between 87 and 93 octane fuel in high performance engines.

Excerpt from owners manual of my 2015 S550.
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 02:53:32 PM   #43
Miami M3
If I only Had Gummybears ...

In the garage:

Switzerland

I just filled up my rental car last night, a Hyundai elentra with regular - first, let me say i drove nearly 300 miles from Tampa back to Miami and it was only $20 in gas (WTF?) Second, regular is 70 cents less per gallon ($2.29 vs. $2.99) - didnt realize there was such a difference. In my G wagon, I would save $14.00 per tank if it took regular. Guess ya gotta pay to be a pimp.

Official Boobie Connoisseur Number Fifty-Four
Jump to top Miami M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 03:31:57 PM   #44
maditalian

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
Please reread the question in the poll.. People who voted regular did so on cars where the minimum octane rating for their vehicle is 87.
The majority of people would have voted for 91+ octane if their cars required it. Why not? Yes, I can most definitely tell the difference in performance between 87 and 93 octane fuel in high performance engines.

Excerpt from owners manual of my 2015 S550.
US sales of premium is 6% . . . do you think that only 6% of cars in the US require premium?
Also, it is a fact that you can make more hp with higher octane, so manufacturers of high end vehicles will tune their engines with 93 to make more hp and have better numbers on paper.
But the ECU will just remap and work just as fine with regular, except it'll make 2% less hp.

You are obviously a superb driver and can tell the difference. I guarantee you that its not a placebo effect. Or maybe it is.
But thats probably cos you track the car often, and its easier to tell on the track than driving down Old Georgetown road.

I guarantee you that if all gas stations in the US would put regular in their premium tanks and sell it as premium you'd be one of the only . . maybe . . 20 drivers in the US that would be able to tell that trickery happened.

Oh and about the excerpt of the manual. Most my manuals say to use only a specific brand of oil too, cos you know if you put castrol 10-30w instead of mobil1 10-30w your engine will probably seize or something . . right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami M3 View Post
I just filled up my rental car last night, a Hyundai elentra with regular - first, let me say i drove nearly 300 miles from Tampa back to Miami and it was only $20 in gas (WTF?) Second, regular is 70 cents less per gallon ($2.29 vs. $2.99) - didnt realize there was such a difference. In my G wagon, I would save $14.00 per tank if it took regular. Guess ya gotta pay to be a pimp.
Yeah man, everytime I gas up with 93 I feel SO baller. I take selfies of me making it rain at the station paying that $0.70 a gallon and post that shlt up on worldstar yo!
Because ya gotta pay to be pimp!

Quote:
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 03:49:13 PM   #45
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Quote:
US sales of premium is 6% . . . do you think that only 6% of cars in the US require premium?
Also, it is a fact that you can make more hp with higher octane, so manufacturers of high end vehicles will tune their engines with 93 to make more hp and have better numbers on paper.
But the ECU will just remap and work just as fine with regular, except it'll make 2% less hp.

You are obviously a superb driver and can tell the difference. I guarantee you that its not a placebo effect. Or maybe it is.
But thats probably cos you track the car often, and its easier to tell on the track than driving down Old Georgetown road.

I guarantee you that if all gas stations in the US would put regular in their premium tanks and sell it as premium you'd be one of the only . . maybe . . 20 drivers in the US that would be able to tell that trickery happened.

Oh and about the excerpt of the manual. Most my manuals say to use only a specific brand of oil too, cos you know if you put castrol 10-30w instead of mobil1 10-30w your engine will probably seize or something . . right?
No, there are many drivers of regular cars like Accords and Camrys who are putting premium fuel in their cars when they should not be. I am saying that most everyone here aside from you and maybe couple others would opt to put 87 octane fuel in their M3s.

and no, I'm just a regular guy who can tell the difference between premium and regular unleaded fuel in a high performance car.

I had never stated that using regular fuel would cause damage to the engine.
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 04:02:34 PM   #46
maditalian

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
No, there are many drivers of regular cars like Accords and Camrys who are putting premium fuel in their cars when they should not be. I am saying that most everyone here aside from you and maybe couple others would opt to put 87 octane fuel in their M3s.

and no, I'm just a regular guy who can tell the difference between premium and regular unleaded fuel in a high performance car.

I had never stated that using regular fuel would cause damage to the engine.
Yep, thats all I was saying too.

Regular fuel wont harm it, so why pay $14 more per tank? I doesnt make me feel pimp and I cant tell the difference.

Back in the days when I was trying to shave seconds off my lap times, I had a custom prepped engine tuned to run on 100 oct. It made sense for that application.

These days I just drive down the hwy and around town, my cars already make over 300hp, I dont feel the need to get that 1% "better performance" and I dont associate pumping premium to pimpin'.
So yeah, regular gas does the trick for me.

Quote:
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 04:08:48 PM   #47
racingbmwm3

In the garage:

United States

I'll state it then E. Using regular fuel in an engine that is designed for premium will damage your engine. chronically, not acutely. And I suspect that damage will build up quicker in a direct injection engine which relies more on the homogeneous charge.
And it doesn't take a car enthusiast to notice that pinging sound when going up a hill on a hot day or getting on the freeway. Sure, light loads and cooler weather, most people won't notice a difference of 280hp vs 300hp, but then again most of the time they are only using 100hp of the potential.

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Jump to top racingbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 04:12:59 PM   #48
Voss
Function over Form

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Is this for all cars? I'm pretty sure my father put regular in my Infiniti and it's been driving rough for the last couple weeks. I need the ECU to hurry up and realize the car's drinking the wrong juice because this choppy ride is driving me insane.
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 04:15:26 PM   #49
racingbmwm3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Yep, thats all I was saying too.

Regular fuel wont harm it, so why pay $14 more per tank? I doesnt make me feel pimp and I cant tell the difference.

Back in the days when I was trying to shave seconds off my lap times, I had a custom prepped engine tuned to run on 100 oct. It made sense for that application.

These days I just drive down the hwy and around town, my cars already make over 300hp, I dont feel the need to get that 1% "better performance" and I dont associate pumping premium to pimpin'.
So yeah, regular gas does the trick for me.
For my understanding, are you talking about using regular in an engine designed for regular or using regular in an engine designed for premium? This thread is regarding using regular in a regular engine, for which it shows almost everyone agrees is the right thing to do.

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Jump to top racingbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 04:15:47 PM   #50
Miami M3
If I only Had Gummybears ...

In the garage:

Switzerland

Quote:
U
Yeah man, everytime I gas up with 93 I feel SO baller. I take selfies of me making it rain at the station paying that $0.70 a gallon and post that shlt up on worldstar yo!
Because ya gotta pay to be pimp!
bro, $14 is a handjob in the hood

Official Boobie Connoisseur Number Fifty-Four
Jump to top Miami M3 is offline   Reply With Quote