BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

View Poll Results: On cars which require only 87 octane (owners manual), which do you use?
Premium 5 23.81%
87 or 89 octane 16 76.19%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Tue, May-16-2017, 04:23:09 PM   #21
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Default Re: Premium gas vs. regular: What's really better for your car? (CBC Marketplace)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre i am View Post
If the 91 in CA is not the same then which cars require 93?

There's no way that a bunch of exotics and sports car that are sold in CA are stuck using the wrong octane...
Cars which require premium fuel, recommend a minimum of 91 octane.. There are none which require 93 to my knowledge

Last edited by EKaru; Tue, May-16-2017 at 04:26:20 PM.
Jump to top EKaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 04:24:13 PM   #22
Voss
Function over Form

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Premium gas vs. regular: What's really better for your car? (CBC Marketplace)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbmwm3 View Post
gas is not going to fix the bearings.
My bad, I meant engine knocking due to insufficient fuel/air ratio. Rod knock was first thing that came to mind.

Last edited by Voss; Tue, May-16-2017 at 04:42:10 PM.
Jump to top Voss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 04:33:46 PM   #23
Pierre i am
ranch me brotendo

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
Cars which require premium fuel, recommend a minimum of 91 octane.. There are none which require 93 to my knowledge
Okay that is what I assumed. If this is the case, unless you do some sort of tuning there *shouldn't* be any benefits to running 93. Like others have stated, car manufacturers specifically dial in the timing for the octane that they tell you to use.

http://m.imgur.com/qpaSWGP?r
Jump to top Pierre i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 04:40:03 PM   #24
Madtown

United States

Starting to see a few engine failures with the MB M274 engine when people use regular fuel. Pre-ignition leading to either spark plug or piston ring land failure.
Jump to top Madtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 04:55:50 PM   #25
M3_mann

In the garage:

United States

I think "premium" is just a marketing gimmick to get people pumping high octane in their Honda Accords for no good reason. Correct me if I am wrong, but octane rating is nothing more than the pressure at which gas ignites. So pumping 93 in a 87 rated car just combusts less fuel, while 87 in a 93/89 rated car will cause damage.

Past-
2003 Imola Red SMG, 2003 Carbon Black 6mt E46 ///M3

2004 & 2005 Mystic Blue E46 ///M3 6mt
Jump to top M3_mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 04:58:31 PM   #26
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Quote:
Okay that is what I assumed. If this is the case, unless you do some sort of tuning there *shouldn't* be any benefits to running 93. Like others have stated, car manufacturers specifically dial in the timing for the octane that they tell you to use.
The engines (requiring 91) will automatically adjust to the higher octane and deliver better performance. With star diagnostics, you can manually change the octane setting. An MB tech had set mine to 93:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...19&postcount=9
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 05:05:09 PM   #27
Miami M3
If I only Had Gummybears ...

In the garage:

Switzerland

I am not even sure i have ever owned a car that took regular

even the damn slow G500 is premium only

but if i did have a car that took regular ol 87, that's exactly what i would put in it

Official Boobie Connoisseur Number Fifty-Four
Jump to top Miami M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 05:10:35 PM   #28
iconoclast

United States

Quote:
There's no way that a bunch of exotics and sports car that are sold in CA are stuck using the wrong octane...
"california emissions" is based around fuels available in california. mfg aren't tuning a race fuel vehicle with california emissions or for a fuel that is not readily available.
Jump to top iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 06:14:45 PM   #29
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Yes and no. Reality is most ECUs pull timing to some extent even with 93 octane. So it is possible they'd pull a little less timing on 93 vs 91. But as long as the car meets the advertised power and mileage with 91, they consider that good enough.
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 06:21:52 PM   #30
Pierre i am
ranch me brotendo

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
"california emissions" is based around fuels available in california. mfg aren't tuning a race fuel vehicle with california emissions or for a fuel that is not readily available.
CARB has stricter standards than the EPA when it comes to emissions. Because of this CA only has 91 available. Bexause mfg's want to sell their cars in all 50 states they make sure that it is CARB legal/certified. This is why Eric's comment about all mfg's setting it up the default for "premium" as 91 makes sense.

http://m.imgur.com/qpaSWGP?r
Jump to top Pierre i am is offline   Reply With Quote