BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 02:46:21 AM   #31
J05M3

United States

Default Re: Ordered AKG solid subframe mounts and they emailed me back......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newswartz View Post
I thought I had it all figured out. I even ordered solid. AKG emails and says they don't recommend it and now this thread. Now I feel like going 95a
I feel ya. I was going solid now its back to oem.
Jump to top J05M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 02:46:34 AM   #32
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by J05M3 View Post
Isn't that a separate part of the issue though. Yes the RACP wants to rip out because of the forces applied to it, but there is also cracking that happens directly where the front oe bushings makes contact with a spot weld. Two different symptoms of the same problem.
Absolutely! But I'd say that the fronts are minor relative to the pulling away issue. Either way, you're right - and plates should solve that.

Also - I think the fronts are highly affected by driving style. Someone dumping the clutch and/or SMG launch control (PO ow my grey car) will toast the right front mount. Plate it and then don't do that and I'm thinking the fronts are a non-issue.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 02:49:43 AM   #33
J05M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Absolutely! But I'd say that the fronts minor relative to the pulling away issue. Either way, you're right - and plates should solve that.
I feel like I have accomplished something today.......I made up my mind........again.
Jump to top J05M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 03:02:19 AM   #34
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
I'd say that the fronts are minor relative to the pulling away issue.
I'd agree with Eric. Having analysed the forces, Both the torque about the engine and resultant torque about the wheels apply an upward force into the chassis on the front right mount.
A quality repair plate that supports up both the vertical and underside faces should be sufficient for the majority of people. Adding a brace over the rear mounts to the chassis rails will prevent the majority of potential secondary failures.

The 'pulling away is most significant on the rear two, more so the left. BMW added extra spot welds on all models in 2001, M3's had more again to stop the mount insert ripping out entirely. This is why in the early days they repaired the top welds however, like most M3 guys find, theirs are often intact and fine.
Jump to top AussieE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 03:06:46 AM   #35
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by J05M3 View Post
Isn't that a separate part of the issue though. Yes the RACP wants to rip out because of the forces applied to it, but there is also cracking that happens directly where the front oe bushings makes contact with a spot weld. Two different symptoms of the same problem.
To clarify the terminology, the Rear Axle Carrier Panel (RACP) is the chassis assembly. The bolt carrier is inside, which allows you to secure the subframe to the RACP.

Yeah, it's all a bit of a mess, but the real nasty pictures of gaps you can stick your finger into usually come from the rears trying to rip out. Adding plates is, I would argue, what keeps those fronts from cracking under pressure. Foam, external support, etc. are what I would personally trust to keep the carriers from ripping out.

Regardless, 95A bushings are still pretty damn hard - you'll still get some whine from the diff etc. I (personally) would still prefer a flat polyurethane face pressing against the RACP rather than the limited surface area of the aluminum ones.. but that's more of my take on it.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 03:34:29 AM   #36
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

I too get diff whine. I did urethane diff bushings when I was repairing the RACP a couple years ago. I now believe it wasn't necessary to upgrade them.

I hope you guys don't mind me posting this but Jo5M3, you said you're considering future RACP/chassis reinforcing kits?

If you or any other members on this post have any questions about the kit I offer let me know, always open to discussion and willing to help out wherever I can with this issue.

Feel free to put a post on the thread or contact me via messenger, email, facebook etc.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=565038&page=7

I'm always willing to help out other forum members and offer a discount for them.

Last edited by AussieE46M3; Thu, Mar-02-2017 at 03:39:13 AM.
Jump to top AussieE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 05:03:06 AM   #37
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

If you have solid subframe bushings then your diff won't flop around if it has rubber bushings.

The OE diff bushings may need a more frequent replacement interval but I'd rather replace a diff bushing than subframe bushings.
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 07:30:10 AM   #38
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
This is, and has always been, precisely my line of thinking and is exactly what I did.

Contrary to popular belief, I've never thought the OEM bushings were the problem. Rather, the thin metal and poor load path are the true issue(s). The front OEM bushings' lips only highlight the underlying problem.

Further, logic tells us that while a solid bushing will indeed spread the load at the mounting point, it will also dramatically increase the spikes in load and so this just seems..... well.... like a bad idea to me. You might gain localized strength but compromise the overall structure more. Just conjecture, of course, but food for thought.

Surely with a Vincebar/bolt-through fronts this is probably a moot point, though. But the flip side of that is that once properly reinforced, why go solid at all? Why not enjoy the smooth and quiet OEM bushings that are built like tanks and last forever?
Well part of the point of going solid, as I understand it, is to restrict movement and reduce oscillation (or increase the natural frequency, I guess) in the rear suspension as a whole, eliminating or reducing wheel hop. This won't be addressed by just strengthening the chassis. But if that is of no interest to you than oe probably would be perfect

It seems, then, that solid subframe bushings are likely most effective (or least problematic) when used in conjunction with proper redistribution of the load path of the rear subframe, whether in the form of the vince bar or other. It does seem like using aluminum bushings on a stock, non-reinforced car would be a bad idea... given that other cars feature solid mounted subframes with rubber diff bushings, I wonder what problems could arise from doing the same, other than maybe shorter bushing life...?
Jump to top BTB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-03-2017, 03:56:30 PM   #39
albino09
A Yankee South of the Mason-Dixon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
given that other cars feature solid mounted subframes with rubber diff bushings, I wonder what problems could arise from doing the same, other than maybe shorter bushing life...?
It's a difference in design. The E46 rear suspension was designed with compliant bushing material in mind. Comparing this rear subframe to the later E9X cars where the mounts are bolted to high-strength steel frame rails, it's a comparison of apples to oranges.

I agree with AKG. If you remove play and vibration at one end, it will all end up on the other. The energy has to go somewhere. You'll end up eating up diff bushings faster than you normally would.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Dove Grey...Journal
Jump to top albino09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-03-2017, 03:59:25 PM   #40
Newswartz

United States

I told them to switch me to 95a

Dinan · Samco · RPI · Rogue Diablo · SMG Tune · Csl 255 DME ·ST Coilovers· IForged 19" ·smoked corners/turns · Mason Xbrace · StormMotorwerks · Turner · H&R · Hawk · JBL· Kenwood ·Fan Delete ·Angel eyes · Csl front/rear diffuser · Tint · Polished engine goodies · AKG Subframe · AKG RTAB · Redish Plates · Rogue Pullies
Jump to top Newswartz is offline   Reply With Quote