BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 08:44:54 PM   #1
Newswartz

United States

Default Ordered AKG solid subframe mounts and they emailed me back......

After hrs of research it seems people are running aluminum subframe mounts with oem diff mounts and loving it. AKG says don't do it

Hello,

People move to aluminum bushings because they are not aware of how harsh they are on the chassis. The problem with aluminum is that it is unforgiving; you will get cracks, it is inherent with the use of the material - even if you are fully reinforced. With aluminum mounts and bushings, the car needs to be consistently inspected (with race cars this is before and after each event).

Also, it is very important to keep both subframe and diff bushings the same material hardness. If you have, for instance, aluminum subframe bushings and OEM diff bushings, the diff
will be flopping around and taking all the abuse, which can lead to problems.

For a street car, we would recommend the poly 95A subframe bushings (#SF469) with our 95A diff bushings (or at least a fresh set of OEM diff bushings). That coupled with the reinforcing you’ve already done should keep you in good shape.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Regards,

Lisa
AKG Motorsport

Dinan · Samco · RPI · Rogue Diablo · SMG Tune · Csl 255 DME · GroundControl/Koni · IForged 19" ·smoked corners/turns · Mason Xbrace · StormMotorwerks · Turner · H&R · H Style Lip · Hawk · Euro Rotors · A/D/S · JBL· Kenwood ·Fan Delete ·Angel eyes · Csl rear diffuser · Tint · Polished engine goodies ·
Jump to top Newswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 08:47:42 PM   #2
FK

United States

Default Re: Ordered AKG solid subframe mounts and they emailed me back......

She's not wrong. Solid subframe and diff bushings for a street car are ridiculous.
Jump to top FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 08:51:38 PM   #3
2manym3s
ballin

United States

I ran the poly mounts and honestly would stray away for a street car, do you drive the car at the limit frequently enough for it to justify the nvh increase?

1999 Alpine White on Magma Slicktop 5spd Coupe SOLD
1999 Cosmos on Dove 5spd Coupe SOLD
2003 Tiag on Imola Coupe 6spd SOLD
2004 Carbon Black on Cinnamon Coupe SMG SOLD
2011 Space Grey on Fox Red DCT ZCP Coupe SOLD
1999 Cosmos on Black 5spd Coupe SOLD
1999 Cosmos on Sand Beige 5spd Coupe SOLD
2006 Tiag on Imola 6spd Coupe SOLD
2004 Dinan Silver Grey on Black SMG Coupe SOLD
2003 Jet Black on Black 6spd Coupe- Current
Jump to top 2manym3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 08:53:56 PM   #4
SimpleStaple

In the garage:

United States

I'm running full poly mounts in my car, but I am also used to it as all my other vehicles are poly mounts as well. The vibration is a non factor for me.
Jump to top SimpleStaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 09:02:04 PM   #5
Newswartz

United States

I'm not trying to run solid diff mounts. Solid subframe and OEM diff

Dinan · Samco · RPI · Rogue Diablo · SMG Tune · Csl 255 DME · GroundControl/Koni · IForged 19" ·smoked corners/turns · Mason Xbrace · StormMotorwerks · Turner · H&R · H Style Lip · Hawk · Euro Rotors · A/D/S · JBL· Kenwood ·Fan Delete ·Angel eyes · Csl rear diffuser · Tint · Polished engine goodies ·
Jump to top Newswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 09:16:41 PM   #6
FK

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newswartz View Post
I'm not trying to run solid diff mounts. Solid subframe and OEM diff
Yea don't do that. I know some people will say that it's fine and that it's running stiff but there is no diff whine but for how long? If you are compromising in one area, you are benefiting in another. At no point can this be even. Look at this like a teeter totter.

Lady is correct, your diff will be getting roasted while your subframe is sandwiched against the mounts which won't move.

I went with the AKG 95D's all around for this reason, I considered doing the same thing a few months ago lol.

This is also all how you drive as well, if the car hardly sees miles then who cares lol
Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 09:21:06 PM   #7
e46IX

Canada

Uh-oh. I'm about to put in a set of TMS solid aluminum subframe bushings with all OEM differential bushings. I'll stick with my plan and see what happens.
Jump to top e46IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 09:26:43 PM   #8
J05M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newswartz View Post
After hrs of research it seems people are running aluminum subframe mounts with oem diff mounts and loving it. AKG says don't do it

Hello,

People move to aluminum bushings because they are not aware of how harsh they are on the chassis. The problem with aluminum is that it is unforgiving; you will get cracks, it is inherent with the use of the material - even if you are fully reinforced. With aluminum mounts and bushings, the car needs to be consistently inspected (with race cars this is before and after each event).

Also, it is very important to keep both subframe and diff bushings the same material hardness. If you have, for instance, aluminum subframe bushings and OEM diff bushings, the diff
will be flopping around and taking all the abuse, which can lead to problems.

For a street car, we would recommend the poly 95A subframe bushings (#SF469) with our 95A diff bushings (or at least a fresh set of OEM diff bushings). That coupled with the reinforcing you’ve already done should keep you in good shape.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Regards,

Lisa
AKG Motorsport
This is contrary to the advice I have been given by respected members of this forum. I am sure one of them will chime in, but everything I have come across says going solid for subframe bushings is recommended to help PREVENT cracking due to the surface area of the solid bushing being greater against the RACP then the surface area of oem subframe bushings. Diff bushings are still recommended to go oem, but this putting greater strain on the diff does seem like it could be a concern.
Jump to top J05M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 09:33:21 PM   #9
FK

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by J05M3 View Post
This is contrary to the advice I have been given by respected members of this forum. I am sure one of them will chime in, but everything I have come across says going solid for subframe bushings is recommended to help PREVENT cracking due to the surface area of the solid bushing being greater against the RACP then the surface area of oem subframe bushings. Diff bushings are still recommended to go oem, but this putting greater strain on the diff does seem like it could be a concern.
That's what I read into at first, then when I realized what kind of driving I typically do and how my road conditions were. I have a built diff so I'm not chancing it breaking over bushings. That's another reason why I went with the Reddish plates over TMS or w/e.
Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 09:37:00 PM   #10
stack
The STIG

In the garage:

Poland

I did AKG subframe bushings black
and also DIFF bushings
love the whine

04 E46 M3/ 95 E36 M3
Jump to top stack is offline   Reply With Quote