BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-17-2017, 04:05:54 PM   #1
aznbo187
XIII

In the garage:

United States

Default Solid subframe bushing - longevity follow up

I remember a few years ago solid subframe bushings were getting a lot of interest on this forum.

How are those with solid subframe bushings holding up today with some mileage on it? Did you have your subframe reinforced? How do you like it now that you have put some miles on it?
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 06:16:12 PM   #2
lippstuh

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Solid subframe bushing - longevity follow up

Bump would like to know as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods Evolve Eventuri JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers OE CSL trunk OE LED taillights

To be installed 996 Brembo BBK F+R RTD Mini SSK + DSSR Rogue Engineering transmission mounts Reddish plates VinceBar Valentine 1
Jump to top lippstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 06:32:17 PM   #3
Move_Over

United States

I purchased my car with solid subframe bushings. They have been installed for 3+ years with the subframe reinforcement kit. I have no complaints on harshness either. Most of the noise comes from the diff bushings in my car.
Jump to top Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-13-2017, 06:42:01 PM   #4
binary

In the garage:

United States

Bumping this because I am having a shop install Reddish plates this month and the last piece I need to decide on are the subframe bushings. Thinking either solid (Turner) or OEM.

If the OEM subframe bushings haven't failed or caused cracking in 99k, I think a fresh set will suffice after reinforcing that area.

How are the solids holding up? And regrets or recommendations?
Jump to top binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-13-2017, 06:58:40 PM   #5
Chapelle

In the garage:

United States

How do AKG solid bushings compare to Turner's? It looks like AKG has a little more surface area in contact with the RACP, which to me would be a good thing.
Jump to top Chapelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-13-2017, 07:09:10 PM   #6
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Bumping this because I am having a shop install Reddish plates this month and the last piece I need to decide on are the subframe bushings. Thinking either solid (Turner) or OEM.

If the OEM subframe bushings haven't failed or caused cracking in 99k, I think a fresh set will suffice after reinforcing that area.

How are the solids holding up? And regrets or recommendations?
Meet in the middle at 95A polyurethane bushings. I have them and I love them.

Jared's M3 Learning Project: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=545658
Jump to top JaredMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-13-2017, 07:14:32 PM   #7
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockflageagle View Post
How do AKG solid bushings compare to Turner's? It looks like AKG has a little more surface area in contact with the RACP, which to me would be a good thing.
I remember there was some downside of the AKG solid. I don't remember what it was. I just made a mental note to go with the Turners. I too liked the idea of the increased surface area at first. It was in one of the threads years ago. Sorry I wish I could remember what it was.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-13-2017, 07:30:35 PM   #8
cozmo kraemer

United States

I have the harder AKGs, with epoxied in turner plates, and the BMW foam in both rear mounts. Everything holding up as it should.

The 'issue' with the AKGs was a tiny bend in the reinforcement bar when they were torqued due to a small amount of squishing of the poly before they got to the end of the metal center dowel that the bolt went through. I really don't think it was an issue, but some on the forum made it out to be a very large issue. It was worse with the earlier, and softer, poly bushings...and much more of an issue with Powerflex I believe.

I did everything before the more modern solutions (reddish plates, vincebar, etc.). If I had it to do over, I'd do the vincebar, but I feel perfectly secure with what I have. I do believe it is plenty.
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, SSV1 Headers/CPI slip fit catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc

Last edited by cozmo kraemer; Thu, Jul-13-2017 at 07:38:04 PM.
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-13-2017, 07:45:53 PM   #9
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

I remember that issue with the bending since I too have AKG poly currently, but for the solids I swear there was an additional downside. I just can't for the life of me remember. Not sure it is because it was a 2 piece design or the shoulder. I remember someone making a case that sounded logical. I made a mental note and moved on lol.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-13-2017, 08:08:23 PM   #10
binary

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredMV View Post
Meet in the middle at 95A polyurethane bushings. I have them and I love them.
Totally open to them and I can get a killer deal to boot. I was planning to run the 95A all around but when I called AKG, they said to stick with the same material in the subframe and diff bushings. Either go all poly or all OEM. For my street car, given that I didn't want diff whine..they said go with OEM.

And after reading all the threads I can find, I keep being led to solid bushings. Given that I will probably do the Vince bar after the Reddish plates, the subframe will come back down. So it probably isn't a big deal if I don't like one or the other, probably overthinking this.
Jump to top binary is offline   Reply With Quote