BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Oct-11-2017, 05:13:30 AM   #1
MegamanDS
Haters keep hatin

In the garage:

Armenia

Default Please don't tell me I need a new transmission or SMG pump... (vid inside)

So for some reason, I can't start my car. It doesn't go into neutral at all. It just shows gear 1. I tried to press down on the brake harder (due to cold), I tried to jump it, I tried almost everything.

I can't even put it in neutral to roll it out of the garage for a tow truck to tow it. Any possible suggestions?

2005 SMG M3
105k miles

2005 SMG, Carbon Black Metallic with black interior, Cold Weather Package, Sports Package, Premium Sound, Navigation, 19" Rims, Bone Stock!
Jump to top MegamanDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Oct-11-2017, 11:04:56 AM   #2
WuBai
Five Spiced and Lovin' It

United States

Default Re: Please don't tell me I need a new transmission or SMG pump... (vid inside)

First off, do you hear the pump priming? Have you checked your fluid level?

I had a leak in my actuator which gave me similar symptoms. When I had issues the actuator was $300, now it's over $1000!
Jump to top WuBai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-11-2017, 01:41:00 PM   #3
Cha5en

United States

Default Re: Please don't tell me I need a new transmission or SMG pump... (vid inside)

Manual swap

/thread

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote:
Apart from anything else, it would give a tremendous 'feelgood' boost to the end of the season, be the greatest comeback story since Lazarus, and give us a chance to enjoy Robert's laconic humour again. Remember that monster shunt of his in Canada? The next day, as he walked out of hospital, a journalist asked him if he'd seen the crash on TV. Robert Kubica stopped, looked the journo right in the eye and said: "I've seen it twice: the first time I was there!"
Jump to top Cha5en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-11-2017, 04:11:26 PM   #4
03.5_m3_dinans2

United States

I have the same issue. My car is at the shop right now. Pump primes and fluid level is at max.

Have you read the fault codes? You can use INPA to engage neutral.
Old Wed, Oct-11-2017, 05:32:29 PM   #5
MegamanDS
Haters keep hatin

In the garage:

Armenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBai View Post

I had a leak in my actuator which gave me similar symptoms. When I had issues the actuator was $300, now it's over $1000!
It is priming. I can hear the fluids moving. Usually I hear a 'click' before I can turn the key to start it to tell me it's ready after it primes. I don't hear that click anymore (obviously because I think the car won't go into neutral).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03.5_m3_dinans2 View Post
I have the same issue. My car is at the shop right now. Pump primes and fluid level is at max.

Have you read the fault codes? You can use INPA to engage neutral.
There are no fault codes that my OBS is pulling up. I haven't checked my fluid level though. I need to buy an INPA i guess to connect my laptop to the car to make it go into neutral for now

2005 SMG, Carbon Black Metallic with black interior, Cold Weather Package, Sports Package, Premium Sound, Navigation, 19" Rims, Bone Stock!
Jump to top MegamanDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-11-2017, 05:51:41 PM   #6
Toxic0n

Canada

You don't need to buy INPA but you do need a compatible OBD USB adapter. Check the coding and tuning section

Ground Control, Mason Engineering, HRE, ACS, Rogue Engineering
Jump to top Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-11-2017, 06:35:11 PM   #7
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBai View Post

actually its $2300

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/23412229789/

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-11-2017, 06:36:28 PM   #8
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

read the codes. i have a similar issue and and mine is pointing towards gps.

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-11-2017, 09:50:42 PM   #9
JamesSJ1

In the garage:

United States

Got my 2006 about 3 years ago with only 30k miles. Now about 67k miles, and I've noticed in the past year that I have to press down on the brake pedal more heavily sometimes to get it to switch into neutral. Is there a sensor attached to the brake pedal that might be starting to fail? Wondering if that could be the OP's problem too...complete failure in his case.
Jump to top JamesSJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 12:01:44 AM   #10
RedM3/4

United States

If you get no codes by a bmw specific reader/inpa, I'd expect something mechanical from the clutch or slave, since you're pump is running. TOB, pivot pin, etc.

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote