BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 01:39:35 AM   #11
lippstuh

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: CSL intake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
If you're not planning on running the flap, you don't need a real CSL DME (technically you don't need one even with a flap, but I digress) - a normal MSS54HP will work fine with a MAP sensor if you flash it with the CSL software.
What if one has MSS54? Would we need to buy a MSS54HP DME?

Mods Evolve Eventuri JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers OE CSL trunk OE LED taillights

To be installed 996 Brembo BBK F+R RTD Mini SSK + DSSR Rogue Engineering transmission mounts Reddish plates VinceBar Valentine 1
Jump to top lippstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 02:24:47 AM   #12
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippstuh View Post
I think you do.

Terra, if we don't want a flap, do we have to do the h-bridge solder thing? Or is that a thing to make the map sensor work?

Evolve-R eVenturi Euro Headers|sect 1 OM Scorza sect 3 OE CSL trunk D/A pullies/fan delete TMS Camber/Sub plates RE Street Trans Mounts
Besian AKG poly SUB/DIFF SDW RTAB ZHP knob + UUC DSSR TMS Sway GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs APEX 75mm Studs
Sportline 8S 18x8.5/9.5" PSS 245/275 Goodridge SS lines Pioneer DEH-80PRS Eclipse PA5422 CDT HD-6 + WS-100i CDT EX-530 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 Eclipse 32430 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 02:29:17 AM   #13
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Terra, if we don't want a flap, do we have to do the h-bridge solder thing? Or is that a thing to make the map sensor work?
I don't think you do. When I researched its only done if you wanted the flap.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 02:32:22 AM   #14
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippstuh View Post
You can solder the larger flash chips to the DME and run the CSL software with that. Though my preference is to have a real HP.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there are two resistors that need to be changed if using a MAP sensor on a non-HP.

Quote:
I think you do.

H-bridge is only needed if using a flap.

Last edited by terraphantm; Thu, Oct-12-2017 at 02:22:34 PM.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 04:26:16 AM   #15
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
You can solder the larger flash chips to the DME and run the CSL software with that. Though my preference is to have a real HP.

H-bridge is only needed if using a flap.
Thank you Terra, so again, in non-computer person talk, if I have a MSS54HP (11/2003 build), I could simply load the CSL engine management and get a map sensor and csl IAT and take care of the vent lines?

Thank you again

Evolve-R eVenturi Euro Headers|sect 1 OM Scorza sect 3 OE CSL trunk D/A pullies/fan delete TMS Camber/Sub plates RE Street Trans Mounts
Besian AKG poly SUB/DIFF SDW RTAB ZHP knob + UUC DSSR TMS Sway GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs APEX 75mm Studs
Sportline 8S 18x8.5/9.5" PSS 245/275 Goodridge SS lines Pioneer DEH-80PRS Eclipse PA5422 CDT HD-6 + WS-100i CDT EX-530 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 Eclipse 32430 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"

Last edited by TboneM3; Thu, Oct-12-2017 at 04:29:50 AM.
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 02:03:17 PM   #16
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Thank you Terra, so again, in non-computer person talk, if I have a MSS54HP (11/2003 build), I could simply load the CSL engine management and get a map sensor and csl IAT and take care of the vent lines?

Thank you again
Pretty much, though loading the CSL software will either require MSSFlasher (which from what I understand is down at the moment) or a BDM flash.

Doesn't necessarily have to be CSL IAT, it's pretty easy to rescale the curve for other sensors.
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 10:32:15 PM   #17
Brett72586

United States

Okay,

So here is what i got so far. I am trying to make this as easy as pie. Trying for mostly plug and play or something already modded and sent to me

CSL instake with karbonius
Map sensor - either
https://store.langracing.com/s54-map...fi-conversion/

or

http://tuningtechfs.com/ttfs-e46-m3-...nd-map-sensor/

I am iffy one splicing wires because thats permanent but when i hear the noise of the CSL air box i just start drooling.

DME
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-BMW-E46...1Z0wZA&vxp=mtr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Relocate brake booster line with appropriate tubing
Extend crankcase vent hose with appropriate tubing

Add-on which are not essential but (somewhat) recommended:
OE CSL Brake Booster Valve
OE CSL Vent Hose

Do these two parts above take care of the "appropriate tubing" part of this or is there an OE part i can get?
Jump to top Brett72586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 11:05:46 PM   #18
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett72586 View Post
I am iffy one splicing wires because thats permanent but when i hear the noise of the CSL air box i just start drooling.
You don't have to splice any wires at all.

You can instead de-pin the connector at the DME. That way you're not irreparably altering the OE harness. You use a pick to remove the original IAT/MAF wires from the DME connector, making them unused and unpowered. You then install your new MAP and IAT wires in their place in the DME connector.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is-- takes less time than cutting and splicing, is much cleaner for troubleshooting, and can be reverted back to original condition if/when that matters.
Jump to top Bimmerman325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 11:47:59 PM   #19
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett72586 View Post
Okay,

So here is what i got so far. I am trying to make this as easy as pie. Trying for mostly plug and play or something already modded and sent to me

CSL instake with karbonius
Map sensor - either
https://store.langracing.com/s54-map...fi-conversion/

or

http://tuningtechfs.com/ttfs-e46-m3-...nd-map-sensor/

DME
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-BMW-E46...1Z0wZA&vxp=mtr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Relocate brake booster line with appropriate tubing
Extend crankcase vent hose with appropriate tubing

Add-on which are not essential but (somewhat) recommended:
OE CSL Brake Booster Valve
OE CSL Vent Hose

Do these two parts above take care of the "appropriate tubing" part of this or is there an OE part i can get?
I wouldn't worry about splicing wires. You can get a complete stock harness pretty cheap, and it's surprisingly simple to replace when you've got the airbox off anyway. So if you do decide to go back to stock, you can always just replace the engine harness

Those two parts do take care of the "appropriate tubing"
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 12:42:48 AM   #20
WeekendM3

In the garage:

India

CSL intake sound is addicting.

Like the CSL gurus here said, don't worry too much about the splicing etc, you don't have to if you don't want to. You can order the "connectors for DME" and all other associated parts from the list in the picture below (pictures / instructions borrowed from M3forum and it's awesome members).

One piece of advice though, you'll be 90% there so please do yourself a favor and have a working flap. The sound / emotion generated when the flap opens at 3,500 RPM is truly something else. Watching the flap open when you're showing your family / friends etc has a c

2003 - Alpine White / Imola Red M3 Coupe 6MT * Factory Sunroof Delete * Manual Seats * Xenon * HK * Dinan Exhaust * Karbonius CSL Airbox * TTFS Tune * OE Operational CSL Flap / Snorkel *
Jump to top WeekendM3 is offline   Reply With Quote