BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 10:19:55 PM   #11
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Hit a deer with my DD this moring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam821 View Post
When I was driving 50+ miles a day for commuting I ended up leasing a BMW i3 - the lease cost less than I was paying for gas in the m3. And after the lease payment, it was basically free to drive.

But +1 on the Volt, my dad had one and it was a great commuter. I think my i3 payment was like $260/month or something... Hard to beat an electric car for a commuter.
My commute is 12 miles one way. I'm more in to practicality and fun for the DD, and being that it is FWD it was OK in the occasional snow.
GTI is just a great all around car and resale would have been great also. KBB shows that I could have gotten $15-16k. This is 1 month short of owning it for 5 years. Bought it for $26k so, ~$2k per year in depreciation. That is pretty spectacular.

The question really is do I fork out ~$15k out of pocket for a new MK7 GTI? Or do I sell the e46 M3 and fork out about $10k out of pocket for an M2?

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk, Modified Stock Muffler
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 10:24:00 PM   #12
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006E46M3fan View Post
And property tax. Here in my town in CT it's about $450 a year. That alone is nearly $40 a month. Believe me I see the allure of having 1 car, I just can't bring myself to do it.
Yep, I'm at that stage in life where I have accumulated enough things......... cars, house, business, toys, etc....... and what i started to realize, is that it all of it costs money BEYOND just the initial purchase. Insurance, maintenance, registration, taxes. I like to keep things simpler again in that regard.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk, Modified Stock Muffler
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 10:55:07 PM   #13
tjkenny15

In the garage:

United States

Not trying to nag you on this but from everything you've just mentioned, you sound like the perfect candidate for EV.

I DDed a 330zhp and then went to a Volt. I'll never buy a ICE car again.
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 11:08:42 PM   #14
L0ADED

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasieg View Post

I'm in CA, but not really a fan of e-vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkenny15 View Post
Not trying to nag you on this but from everything you've just mentioned, you sound like the perfect candidate for EV.

+1

The E46 M3 will most likely be the last ICE car that I will own. It's a keeper and when I need a DD, it will be an EV.

You had a Golf, so next time you are at the VW dealer, test drive the E-Golf. There is a good chance it will change your opinion on EV cars. After my spirited test drive in the E-Golf, I was sold. Also, the gov't incentives are big +.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 11:14:48 PM   #15
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

As others have said after owning a DD I don't think I could go back to a single car. It's just too much compromise if you need an all in one. I like having the freedom of modding the m3 however I like. In ways that some would consider unpractical. Then also having the peace of mind of not having to worry about parking it or driving it to places where it might get dinged or scratched.

I too am going to go electric in the next year. Saves me money over my current DD and should be hopefully as fast and practical with 4wd. It will be a nice contrast to m3.

That said the m2 seems like an awesome DD and all in one vehicle. I just don't think I could personally go back. Tough choice for you forsure!

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 11:18:49 PM   #16
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Your VW isn't totaled. Had a similar accident in a Jetta years ago and they fixed it. I haven't driven an M2 but just bought an F80 M3 daily. Awesome car but the E46 still feels way better to me.
B&B TriFlow Section 3 | AP V2 headers | TMS Power Pulleys | aFe Drop In Dry Filter | Macht Schnell Intake Elbow | TTFS Tune | CSF Radiator & Oil Cooler | AST 4200 Coilovers | Ground Control Race Camber Plates & RSMs | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Hotchkis Front Sway Bar | Stoptech ST40 Front & Rear BBK | UUC EVO3 SSK with DSSR | ZHP Knob | Orion V4 | Matte Black Kidney/Side Grills | 35% Tint | Apex 75mm Wheel Studs | H&R Trak+ 10mm Spacers | 19" VMR CSL Reps | 245/275 Continental ExtremeContact DW
Track Stuff: Apex ARC-8s 18x10 ET25 | 275/35/18 Nitto NT01s | Schroth Quick Fits | PFC 08s

2000 BMW M Roadster 5MT - TiAg/Black
TCK D/A | Lightwerkz Projector Headlights | LeatherZ Interior Bits | BMW Performance Knob | OEM Square 17x9 Roadstars

2016 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT - AW/SO
Color Matched Front Reflectors | Lightweight Front Lip | M Performance Rear Spoiler | Black 666Ms

Instagram
E46 M3 Build Journal
Jump to top silvergray545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-10-2017, 04:39:11 AM   #17
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkenny15 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ADED View Post
+1

The E46 M3 will most likely be the last ICE car that I will own. It's a keeper and when I need a DD, it will be an EV.

You had a Golf, so next time you are at the VW dealer, test drive the E-Golf. There is a good chance it will change your opinion on EV cars. After my spirited test drive in the E-Golf, I was sold. Also, the gov't incentives are big +.

OK, I will test drive one before I buy another car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Journal

Old Tue, Oct-10-2017, 03:03:52 PM   #18
SG/IRM3
Flyguy

United States

I just completed a track weekend with an M2 in my run group and was impressed by how well it seems to work on track in bone stock form. My car with MCS 2WNRs and a square wheel/tire set up was a bit faster in the the road course portion of the roval and surprisingly pretty close on the one long straight but it appeared to be very composed everywhere on course and I'm pretty sure I was working harder to go at the pace we were holding. The other driver is coming from an E92 M3 and was wishing for more power (?-aren't we all)) but otherwise very happy with it. I think it would be a very capable dual duty car and the only thing I would change would be tires. Not trying to sway your decision just adding that it appears to be a very well suited to occasional track duty in stock form while maintaining reasonable comfort and convenience for street use.
Old Tue, Oct-10-2017, 03:54:19 PM   #19
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
As others have said after owning a DD I don't think I could go back to a single car. It's just too much compromise if you need an all in one. I like having the freedom of modding the m3 however I like. In ways that some would consider unpractical. Then also having the peace of mind of not having to worry about parking it or driving it to places where it might get dinged or scratched.

I too am going to go electric in the next year. Saves me money over my current DD and should be hopefully as fast and practical with 4wd. It will be a nice contrast to m3.

That said the m2 seems like an awesome DD and all in one vehicle. I just don't think I could personally go back. Tough choice for you forsure!
Yes, you are right, it is always a compromise. It was the reason I switched to 2 cars in the first place. I just wonder if I could make it work now? What changed over the years is that the newer cars keep getting structurally sounder, and can handle a more aggressive suspension and camber plates, without completely ruining comfort.......to a certain extend.
I should note, that I live in a rural area, with decent roads, and virtually no traffic........at least nothing like living in a big city or the Bay Area where I was before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG/IRM3 View Post
I just completed a track weekend with an M2 in my run group and was impressed by how well it seems to work on track in bone stock form. My car with MCS 2WNRs and a square wheel/tire set up was a bit faster in the the road course portion of the roval and surprisingly pretty close on the one long straight but it appeared to be very composed everywhere on course and I'm pretty sure I was working harder to go at the pace we were holding. The other driver is coming from an E92 M3 and was wishing for more power (?-aren't we all)) but otherwise very happy with it. I think it would be a very capable dual duty car and the only thing I would change would be tires. Not trying to sway your decision just adding that it appears to be a very well suited to occasional track duty in stock form while maintaining reasonable comfort and convenience for street use.
Thanks for your input. I have heard from several M2 owners who use their car as dual purpose. They basically did suspension, pads and tires and seem to be happy with it at the track.
I just so happened to be at Laguna Seca last Friday myself in a private run group with mostly GT4's, but also one M2. It was pretty modified. Some might now the car/driver? Alex from Alex's Shop in Fremont. He was just as fast as the GT4's out there, if not faster. Not sure what he has done to the car and it certainly was not a DD, but shows how capable the car is. He was easily 5 seconds a lap quicker than me and my car.
As far as the M2 needing more power. That is a easy fix on a turbo car. I'm sure a tune will get that taken care of.

It's a tough decision. I like the look of the e46 M3 better. It is cheaper and less of a loss if I stuff it in to a wall. And the advantages of 2 cars have been noted.
On the other hand, an M2 would be something new and exciting. Probably faster at the track, and I would be driving it every day, versus just once a week or so, which is good and bad.

Right now I am leaning towards keeping the e46 M3 and fixing my car, or buying an equivalent replacement.

Thank you all for your input.

My Journal

Old Tue, Oct-10-2017, 05:59:35 PM   #20
Bimmerchop

United States

First things first... Test drive an M2 and see how you feel after
- Ibis/Alcantara B8.5 A4 S-line
- Pearl Stg3+ B5 S4 (sold)

EURO.techniks
Jump to top Bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote