BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 10:38:57 PM   #21
Maxima SE
445 FTW

United States

Default Re: Front bumper alignment

do you have a front lip drilled into the bumper? if so, chances are you will never get a perfect fitting bumper because the lip forces the bumper out of its normal shape. this is a theory i've arrived to.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 10:50:54 PM   #22
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

there's not much which effect an oem aluminum carrier not to align.

1. fender liners not seated correctly
2. bumper cover not sitting flush onto aluminum carrier (missing or loose rivets)
3. white sliders are adjusted too wide, this might restrict how far bumper sits
4. bumper shocks afaik dont have any adjustments (forward/backwards). perhaps something is bent where the bumper shocks mount?

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 11:02:57 PM   #23
02_LSB

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxima SE View Post
do you have a front lip drilled into the bumper? if so, chances are you will never get a perfect fitting bumper because the lip forces the bumper out of its normal shape. this is a theory i've arrived to.

I bet you the lip has nothing to do with it, but I'll try it agin with the lip removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top 02_LSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 11:03:30 PM   #24
02_LSB

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
there's not much which effect an oem aluminum carrier not to align.

1. fender liners not seated correctly
2. bumper cover not sitting flush onto aluminum carrier (missing or loose rivets)
3. white sliders are adjusted too wide, this might restrict how far bumper sits
4. bumper shocks afaik dont have any adjustments (forward/backwards). perhaps something is bent where the bumper shocks mount?

Thank you. Will report back.

Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 11:51:29 PM   #25
02_LSB

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyej25 View Post
Been there. I spent 4 hours taking the bumper off, putting new bumper guides on and came out with the same issue. I have the aluminum carrier as well.

Ok. I completely missed this...

Maybe I won't go this route and just do my very best to not look at the bumper / fender gap. Lol.

Old Tue, Oct-10-2017, 12:51:31 AM   #26
02_LSB

United States

So I was able to play with it a bit more and adjust it ever-so-slightly. I'd say it's a about a quarter inch out. If this car didn't have good days when I walk away thinking how unbelievable it is.

It would go to this guy

Old Tue, Oct-10-2017, 06:30:51 PM   #27
KS Golfer

United States

so i'm in the middle of putting my front bumper back on, and wondering how much "encouragement" everything takes to get lined up?

a couple of my foam spacers were missing, so i had to make a couple of my own. a couple others fell off so i had to scrape the adhesive and put them back on as close to the original position as i could figure out. when i test fit everything i had a pretty consistent 1/4'' gap to the headlight and felt pretty good about things. however the bumper doesn't seem to want to stay all the way "aft" on the white sliders. is it really that precise of a fit via some pieces of foam and tape?

i checked the brake ducts and they're tucked in where they're supposed to be, and pushed on the suction cup locations pretty hard to try and make sure they were seated, but it's just not fitting quite as nicely as i want it to.

is this just the way it is with the foam spacers and over time things settle in?
Old Tue, Oct-10-2017, 07:50:50 PM   #28
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

so your's is a bit different then the op's. with the kevlar, the suction cups and metal posts is what holds everything in place. have you tried seating the bumper without the fender liners? how does it look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Golfer View Post
so i'm in the middle of putting my front bumper back on, and wondering how much "encouragement" everything takes to get lined up?

a couple of my foam spacers were missing, so i had to make a couple of my own. a couple others fell off so i had to scrape the adhesive and put them back on as close to the original position as i could figure out. when i test fit everything i had a pretty consistent 1/4'' gap to the headlight and felt pretty good about things. however the bumper doesn't seem to want to stay all the way "aft" on the white sliders. is it really that precise of a fit via some pieces of foam and tape?

i checked the brake ducts and they're tucked in where they're supposed to be, and pushed on the suction cup locations pretty hard to try and make sure they were seated, but it's just not fitting quite as nicely as i want it to.

is this just the way it is with the foam spacers and over time things settle in?

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Old Tue, Oct-10-2017, 08:44:38 PM   #29
KS Golfer

United States

i can get it to go all the way on the sliders, but it kinda "retracts" back out a 1/2'' or so, as if something is pushing against it.
Old Tue, Oct-10-2017, 10:03:40 PM   #30
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Golfer View Post
i can get it to go all the way on the sliders, but it kinda "retracts" back out a 1/2'' or so, as if something is pushing against it.
so if you push with your hands, you can get past the alignment point? but when you let go, it moves the other direction pass the alignment point? there should be 4 suction cups. if they are all present, there should not be that much play. the native position should align perfectly.

Tischer aka GetBmwParts